Hike Of The Month 2012

TotemLake

Hike begins with group of one

Sorry, please post day and time and hike difficulty. Thanks. Or did this happen already?

Announcement was made back at this post:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=288139&view=findpost&p=5124965

As stated in the quote, the hike began with a group of one. Moi.

You were guaranteed to have good company then! :)

It was a good time. I took my time and viewed everything from a snowshoe perspective from the last three years. It was an eye opener.

Well the first snowshoe didn't traverse the meadow because of the avalanche that occured a couple days before and the risk of avalanche that day was moderate. Had you gone through the meadow, you would have seen something similar to this:

313545_280246665351833_1488940726_n.jpg

instead of the two pics below. It was very craggy through that location.

550875_446718155371349_1391634921_n.jpg

148889_446718115371353_970266767_n.jpg

The trail crosses the big avalanche chute near the top twice, and at the lower portion of that chute In both directions, there were a lot of downed trees that were obviously pushed and not just windblown. With the exception of the trees at the bottom, you can't see the other trees in these pics, but there were lots to be seen.

Looking down:

44175_446718528704645_1860871306_n.jpg

Looking up:

556361_446718718704626_833339706_n.jpg

South is placed 20 feet from original location 100 avg coordinates are N25.628 W25.324 new hint suggested look for young with old uphill side.

North is placed where hint is described and my coordinates match, but this not where we located the cache on the first snowshoe hike. O checked to be sure the cache wasn't still there. The hole is empty. Found a spot that looked obvious but risked exposure from bend on trail. Cache is placed with no exposure based on current hint.

Thanks TL. I'm still waiting for a response from RockRabbit...

If I don't hear from her by the end of the weekend I'll either retry or bump it up a level

Found your cache. I think I also see an alternative way in and will explore it after lunch.

Did you find one?

Anyway, because I finally made it to the cache, I have all these sig items I would like to pass onto Shaddow representing each of the years the attempts were made... and to buy him a beer if he's up to it.

I'll have to take you up on that sometime

Did you find one?

Technically, no. It's all going to depend on your bushwhacking style. All at once or in little chunks, but the average grade is almost the same regardless of which direction you approach it from when you are closest to it.

I did notice a path coming up from the Gold Creek side, but the distance is longer from that approach.

A hike was not announced for October. Halloween and life in general took over. I'm targeting Saturday after T-Day this month but haven't settled on a hike yet.

Better bring the hip waders. Cliff Mass says we are going to get some crazy amounts of rain between now and Sunday. 20-25 inches in the Cascades! And a lot of that will over the weekend.

Targeting December 29 30 for the last HOTM of the year and to provide a venue for beginner snowshoers. This will be the annual Snowshoe 101 with location yet to be determined.

Would first-timers need to provide their own snowshoes?

Yes. Most sport stores will rent them at very reasonable rates. Places like Costco and Cabelas usually have some pretty good deals for a beginner set.

Edited by TotemLake

Targeting December 29 30 for the last HOTM of the year and to provide a venue for beginner snowshoers. This will be the annual Snowshoe 101 with location yet to be determined.

After a lot of searching for the appropriate cache for a Snowshoe 101, I'm targeting Out with the Old (Snowshoe Cache) on December 30.

You'll need a Sno-Park pass.

I plan on being there by 8AM December 30. Hiking to commence by 8:30.

After a lot of searching for the appropriate cache for a Snowshoe 101, I'm targeting Out with the Old (Snowshoe Cache) on December 30.

You'll need a Sno-Park pass.

I plan on being there by 8AM December 30. Hiking to commence by 8:30.

Sounds like fun--and, as a bonus, I haven't found that cache!

According to this you need BOTH a Sno-Park and a Discovery Pass for the Hyak Sno-Park ($20 + $10 for daily passes).

And then there's the additional Special Groomed Trails Permit for another $40. Fortunately, you guys are parking at Gold Creek where you only need a Sno-Park permit.

And thus ends the HOTM for 2012. We didn't make the target due to my lungs still being stressed out and everyone turned back with me and had some fun on the way back down. Thanks y'all, and thanks to everyone for making this a fun hiking year.

I'll create a new thread for 2013... Stay tuned.

And thus ends the HOTM for 2012. We didn't make the target due to my lungs still being stressed out and everyone turned back with me and had some fun on the way back down. Thanks y'all, and thanks to everyone for making this a fun hiking year.

I'll create a new thread for 2013... Stay tuned.

Thank you, TL, for organizing these hikes--I've had so much fun on each of them. What a great (and under-used) service you've provided to Seattle-area cachers. I encourage everyone to follow the 2013 thread and consider joining the hikes. If you don'tknow if a hike is appropriate for you or you have questions about equipment, just ask Totem Lake.