Hike Of The Month 2012

TotemLake

I have two areas in mind for you all. The one I would like to recommend is "Wedge Mountain" This hike is only about a 3-1/2 mile round trip hike but it is quite steep and the path is sketchy in places. At the of Wedge Mt. you look down on a spectacular view into the Enchantments snow lakes area. But it just snowed up there a couple of nights ago and I don't know if it will be snow free in a week and a half. The elevation is about 6200 feet. The other area is not so steep but will be close to seven miles or more depending on how many caches you want to go for. This is in the Twin Peaks area of Wenatchee. First cache will be "Fairest View" GC294H5 and seven or more caches along the way. (depending on your energy) Take your pick.

Both sound like "must-dos." I'm voting for the Twin Peaks cache but putting the Wedge Mountain hike on my summer to-do list. I would be happy to do either!

I would vote for twin peaks, but that is mostly because I have already done Wedge when the drysiders did it. Wedge is a steep but beautiful hike. Driving to the parking lot is hairy though.

Yeah, that was quite the trip in your truck, and you and LandRover both got the Wedgie. :lol:

00a5b6e4-2fc1-4f29-8175-a86474344c52.jpg

Edited by hydnsek

Ok, it sounds like Twin Peaks is where we're going. Thank you for voting your preference to hike and thanks to Patudles for the suggestions to choose from!

Directions from Patudles is as follows:

Coords to a good meeting spot and just across the road from Monitor the way to the cache. 47 29.236 - 120 24.654. Coords to the right hand turn to Monitor coming from your way on Hwy 97 are 47 29,230 - 120 24.764. This is just across Hwy 97 from the meeting spot. It is a intersection with a stoplight so access to everything is easy. After you turn into Monitor you are on Main street. The road will soon split into a y. Keeping left puts you on Fairview Canyon Rd. Continue till it again splits into a y. This time keep to the right continuing on Fairview Canyon Rd. This will turn into a dirt road at a dump at 47 27.934 - 120 25.577. At this point you go though the open gate on the left and continue up a dirt road. High clearance is nice but I have driven it carefully with my Mazda. This will wind its way up to the Fairest View cache where we will park and hike from there.

<<>>

An important note: Be sure to bring enough water for the entire hike! There is no water replenishment source on the trail. Because of this, my geopuppy Penny, will not be joining us.

<<>>

I will be at the meeting spot noted above by 8AM and intend to depart for the trailhead by 8:20. I am open to carpool but I need to save at least one seat for our host. That leaves two seats open for anyone joining me between here and there.

Edited by TotemLake

I am not familiar with the area, what caches would be on the hike? I can't tell from the map which direction it would go.

Sorry, I forgot the caches hadn't been named out yet.

Patudles recommended the following in order:

Twin Peaks area starting with Fairest View GC294H5 - Film Cannister GC29FA3 - WOW! GC29GRD - Green grasshopper and motorcycle man GC1BQ4C - Horselake Mtn aka Twin Peaks GC1C93Q - Wow too! GC2AJNH - Whispering Pines GC2ADYA. In that order. That makes a circle hiking up the steepest part and then following the road on the hike back down. There are two other caches if a person want to walk a bit out of the way down the hill and then back up. They are Whitewall GC12G1Z and Our Mission View GC1CJ8E. Then there is Patudles #4200 milestone cache GC2AJMP to grab on the drive back down.

I am not familiar with the area, what caches would be on the hike? I can't tell from the map which direction it would go.

Sorry, I forgot the caches hadn't been named out yet.

Patudles recommended the following in order:

Twin Peaks area starting with Fairest View GC294H5 - Film Cannister GC29FA3 - WOW! GC29GRD - Green grasshopper and motorcycle man GC1BQ4C - Horselake Mtn aka Twin Peaks GC1C93Q - Wow too! GC2AJNH - Whispering Pines GC2ADYA. In that order. That makes a circle hiking up the steepest part and then following the road on the hike back down. There are two other caches if a person want to walk a bit out of the way down the hill and then back up. They are Whitewall GC12G1ZGC1ZG1Z and Our Mission View GC1CJ8E. Then there is Patudles #4200 milestone cache GC2AJMP to grab on the drive back down.

Corrected the GC number for Whitewall - GC12G1Z is about 4900 miles too far for the day! :lol:

I'm thinking about this one. If I go, I'd like to head over Friday and stay in a hotel somewhere near Wenatchee/Leavenworth if I can find a decent priced one. Any recommendations?

Check out Super 8, La Quinta, Travel Lodge, and/or Best Western. I don't know much about the local places but my one of my brothers stayed at the Travel Lodge, the other Super 8. Leavenworth prices are going to be higher.

Okay, just a booked a room in Wenatchee. I'm in! Looks like rain on this side this weekend, so I'd rather go see some sun. :)

Don't forget it is the begininng of cherry season. Our cherries aren't ripe yet but they are picking in Mattawa so cherries are available.

Edited by Patudles

I supose it never hurts to ask, so...

Are we going to need any of our parking permits for this one? It doesn't seem like it but I need to renew at least one of mine so I would rather not get caught unaware. Also it looks like a coworker wants to escape to the dry side as well so one more.

I supose it never hurts to ask, so...

Are we going to need any of our parking permits for this one? It doesn't seem like it but I need to renew at least one of mine so I would rather not get caught unaware. Also it looks like a coworker wants to escape to the dry side as well so one more.

No parking permits needed for this hike.

Edited by Patudles

We're thinking about joining this one. I take it there is a trail not in NW Trails that connects this route of caches?

Looking at the aerial, there appears to be some old jeep roads we'll be following that criss-crosses the service road.

I don't think this is in any hiking book. We will follow a hiking/biking trail at first then join up on the old road that they gated off so we can't drive on anymore.

Coords to a good meeting spot and just across the road from Monitor the way to the cache. 47 29.236 - 120 24.654. Coords to the right hand turn to Monitor coming from your way on Hwy 97 are 47 29,230 - 120 24.764. This is just across Hwy 97 from the meeting spot. It is a intersection with a stoplight so access to everything is easy. After you turn into Monitor you are on Main street. The road will soon split into a y. Keeping left puts you on Fairview Canyon Rd. Continue till it again splits into a y. This time keep to the right continuing on Fairview Canyon Rd. This will turn into a dirt road at a dump at 47 27.934 - 120 25.577. At this point you go though the open gate on the left and continue up a dirt road. High clearance is nice but I have driven it carefully with my Mazda. This will wind its way up to the Fairest View cache where we will park and hike from there.

<<>>

An important note: Be sure to bring enough water for the entire hike! There is no water replenishment source on the trail. Because of this, my geopuppy Penny, will not be joining us.

<<>>

I will be at the meeting spot noted above by 8AM and intend to depart for the trailhead by 8:20. I am open to carpool but I need to save at least one seat for our host. That leaves two seats open for anyone joining me between here and there.

Just to be clear on the meeting spot - are we meeting at 47 29.236 - 120 24.654?

<<>>

<<>>

Just to be clear on the meeting spot - are we meeting at 47 29.236 - 120 24.654?

YES

Looking forward to tomorrow. Hope there is enough room for carpooling!

GA had to bow out to an injury so a seat opened up in my Jeep.

Anybody else needing a ride?

I'm sorry to hear that she's not doing well. Get better soon, GA!

Thanks--I just pushed my knee further than I should have--but we got the cache!

HOTM to the ice caves on Sunday the 29th. This one will be a late start to accomodate the annual WSGA campout checkout time of 12PM. I intend to start from the big picnic shelter at 1PM.

Count us in as we would love to see the caves, but not do it on our own. :D

Geek&Gopher B)

Edited by Geek&Gopher

HOTM to the ice caves on Sunday the 29th. This one will be a late start to accomodate the annual WSGA campout checkout time of 12PM. I intend to start from the big picnic shelter at 1PM.

This sounds great and I plan to be there. Tried to get my wife to come along but she decided not to. This should be my 'big 4' milestone.

Edited by WellJointed

We had a great turnout yesterday afternoon! 15 showed up for this beautiful hike. There is 1 ice cave already formed and it isn't in the main snow bank. We couldn't seem to gather everyone together for the traditional group shot this time, so I'll just post the view from the parking lot. The other pics can be viewed in the following album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.411470238896141.90775.100000995043079&type=3&l=af09d46563

479929_425052427537922_1985583869_n.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

Next hike is to GCD on the 19th at 6AM to accomodate the timing of WSGA's event at the Ape cache. Other obligations and events have eaten up the other opportunities.

We'll meet up at 6AM with a hike time of 6:30.

It looks like the trail starts at

N47° 22.1076'

W121° 21.1112'

which indicates the road may be closed off from that point, but I have no problem with shortening the hike down if we can get closer.

Edited by TotemLake