Hike Of The Month 2012

TotemLake

Ok I will be there. :D I just got a set of snowshoes last sunday and even my wife is hoping I will get to try them out this season. :o

Greg, any chance you have an extra seat in your jeep? I don't have a problem driving up but carpooling seems to make sence.

I'll PM my address to you. I want to leave by 6:30 so I can pick up my daughter on time.

Ok I will be there. :D I just got a set of snowshoes last sunday and even my wife is hoping I will get to try them out this season. :o

Greg, any chance you have an extra seat in your jeep? I don't have a problem driving up but carpooling seems to make sence.

I'll PM my address to you. I want to leave by 6:30 so I can pick up my daughter on time.

Got it. I will be there.

I'm cancelling the highland hike due to the avalanche forecast. I'm still planning on picking up my daughter. We're planning on driving to Baker Lake outside of Concrete and try to hit the snow there. That means I'm driving up to Bellingham first, then back south to Hwy 20.

Andrew, give me a call if you want to back out of this one. We'll be glad to have you on board though. :)

Edited by TotemLake

I'm cancelling the highland hike due to the avalanche forecast. I'm still planning on picking up my daughter. We're planning on driving to Baker Lake outside of Concrete and try to hit the snow there. That means I'm driving up to Bellingham first, then back south to Hwy 20.

Andrew, give me a call if you want to back out of this one. We'll be glad to have you on board though. :)

Where in the Baker Lake area were you considering? I did not know your daughter lived up here!

I'll be heading towards the Upper Lake Dam. If tehre's any snow the plow will stop there. If you want to join us. I haven't calculated how long it will take to drive south back to that location yet.

It sounds like fun! Let me know the meet time. It is about the same time for me from Bham to Baker or to Baker Lake.

Cool. About 9:30 is what I calculate to the campground in front of the Sheriff's house before you drive past the neighborhood to get to the dam. There's a functional restroom there for a quick potty break. It's usually open.

Coords to aim for are

N48° 39.2018'

W121° 41.5664'

Now that was FUN! Thank you for another adventure.

Thank you for taking my daughter home and saving me a couple of hours drive. Andrew was having a tough time of it keeping me awake till we stopped for gas and a cuppa americana outside of Millcreek.

It was a lot of fun and it turned out to be a very unique hike with walking on the lake bed like that.

When I separated and began storing my gear, I noticed I gained a Kirkland Signature black jacket from the last snowshoe. Who do I get to meet up with and have a beer over it? :P

I believe that may be mine. Perhaps I can convince Ricki to come south with me and we can meet somewhere...There is a good beer house in Mt Vernon!

When I separated and began storing my gear, I noticed I gained a Kirkland Signature black jacket from the last snowshoe. Who do I get to meet up with and have a beer over it? :P

I believe that may be mine. Perhaps I can convince Ricki to come south with me and we can meet somewhere...There is a good beer house in Mt Vernon!

If you can wait till the weekend of the 17th, we will be up there then to watch Riki run.

I'm looking at Teanaway ridge trail as a possible snowshoe HOTM. I'm planning on 3/31 as the date to avoid Irish events and the cache machine. I need someone in the know to adivse whether or not the snow looks good on the dry side to make it worth the drive to try this.

Otherwise, I'm thinking Hurridane Ridge as an alternate snowshoe hike to grab a long standing virtual and play in the snow.

I assume you mean "High on a Windy Hill" GC9C5F on Hurricane Ridge. There is also a Earth Cache

Mount Angeles Lookout with in a half mile of the Visitor Center. In my younger days I use to do a lot of Cross Country Skiing up there. Just remember they don't call it Hurricane Ridge for nothing. It can be very pleasant at times. If the visitor's center is closed, your usual pictures will be evidence you were there and can claim a find.

Edited by W7WT

Cool. I was kind of wondering about that. If I don't hear about the other cache snow conditions by after this weekend, I'll lay down plans for Hurricane Ridge.

We're heading over to Wenatchee this weekend I will try to do a recon on the way home Sunday.

Edited by LandRover

For Hurricane Ridge? The parking lot.

For Teaney Rdige

N 47° 21.240 W 120° 43.117

at Iron Creek Trailhead

Another possibility and more likely is

N 47° 22.110 W 120° 47.064

Road Ends Trail Starts

Checked out trail head options this afternoon.

Road to Iron Creek Trail head is closed (snow) right off of Hwy 97. There were some guys there getting ready to x-country up that way, so I'm assuming it's snowshoeable too.

Drivable road to Road Ends Trail Starts ends at N47 19.851 W120 51.219, ~4.7 miles from Road Ends Trail Starts. There is still unpaved road for some unknown distance but is is currently closed to wheeled non-logging vehicles. Non-road snow conditions where we stopped are pro snowshoe

For Hurricane Ridge? The parking lot.

For Teaney Rdige

N 47° 21.240 W 120° 43.117

at Iron Creek Trailhead

Another possibility and more likely is

N 47° 22.110 W 120° 47.064

Road Ends Trail Starts

Checked out trail head options this afternoon.

Road to Iron Creek Trail head is closed (snow) right off of Hwy 97. There were some guys there getting ready to x-country up that way, so I'm assuming it's snowshoeable too.

Drivable road to Road Ends Trail Starts ends at N47 19.851 W120 51.219, ~4.7 miles from Road Ends Trail Starts. There is still unpaved road for some unknown distance but is is currently closed to wheeled non-logging vehicles. Non-road snow conditions where we stopped are pro snowshoe

Well that second option makes it over a 7 mile hike one way and the first option is knocked off the table.

Given the stopping point of TH Option 2, that lines us up for a 4 mile hike to Stafford Lookout Site as a 4 mile one way hike. Three caches on the route, with a possible 4th 2/3 mile away once at the lookout site if we're feeling good.

Game on?

Btw, thanks for the recon!

Edited by TotemLake

I'm going after this cache on the 31st, Saturday morning.

Stafford Lookout Site

It'll be about an 8 mile roundtrip hike with possible snowshoeing involved as we reach the summit. Bring snowshoes and traction slip-ons such as micro spikes. There are 3 caches on the route including the lookout, with a possible 4th 2/3 mile away once at the lookout site if we're feeling good.

Parking coordinates are estimated to be based on LandRover's recon:

N47° 19.8465'

W120° 51.2124'

This looks to be just past the 29 Pines campground at the fork in the road bearing right.

I'll be there by 8AM with boots on the grouns at 8:30.

Edited to add: Bring straps to tie your snowshoes to your backpack.

Edited by TotemLake

:sad: D@mn, I wish I could tag along as it as be far too long to gather with you guys but things have have been H3ll for numerous months. I hope to resolve many issues soon, but still have a few items to attend.

Once I get my act together I may just be able to play again. Keep everyone safe for me and log those coins gave you. At least then I know all is well.

The Mutt..... B)

I almost made this one today - I got within a couple of miles and then the rear wheels of the van spun out and I ended up in the river. Totaled the van, but I was able to get out with nothing more than cold, wet clothes. I'll post a couple pictures later, but I have a whole lot of wet, waterlogged gear to take care of right now.

I almost made this one today - I got within a couple of miles and then the rear wheels of the van spun out and I ended up in the river. Totaled the van, but I was able to get out with nothing more than cold, wet clothes. I'll post a couple pictures later, but I have a whole lot of wet, waterlogged gear to take care of right now.

OH NO! I am so glad to hear that you are alright. Very unfortunate about the van though.

Wow! So that explains the no show. I'm glad you're alright! I'm sorry we got there ahead of you instead of coming in behind ya. I saw some aftermath on the way out but couldn't figure out what had occurred.

Holy carp! :o Glad you are all right. Was there a lot of snow? Were you able to call for help with cell phone? What happened with van retrieval? How did you get home? Inquiring mind.... :P

Oh no! Glad you're okay! Of course we had no phone reception, even if we were just a few miles away. It was slick, it was snowing, and you couldn't see the edges of the road. All the snow had melted from the roads by the time we finished our hike.

Well, I have a little more time to 'play' now.

At just after 8am there was just over an inch of snow, but the road didn't feel very slick. But on one downhill turn the back wheels broke free, whipped one way, then the other - which sent me over the edge right at the edge of a bridge. It was a short drop, less than 15 feet, but the van flipped sideways and came to rest on the passenger side, facing up stream. No air bags, but lots of water (I figured a window or two had gone by how fast it filled). I was hanging by my seatbelt and had a heck of a time trying to get out of it with all my weight on it. After some acrobatic moves I got my weight off it and out of it - now standing in waist deep water in the van. The door handle didn't work (something broke inside) but I still had power and got the driver window open, crawled out and sat on top of the van to take stock of the situation. Hmm, wet from the waist down, wearing a pile vest under a light rain coat with Teva's on - everything else in the van under/in the water.

One of my trek poles floated forward, so I grabbed that - it'll help on crossing the 5 feet or so of faily swift water. I'd only seen indications of two cars ahead of me (I'm guessing the HOTM, it's 8:15 so they should be up ahead), so help from that area was slim to none. Oh, look there - one of my boots floated forward (boots float??), a quick grab - now where is the other and do I want to go diving in the van for it or other geat? I spotted the other boot floating behind the driver seat and got that also, well now I have two soaked boots with equally soaked socks - but that sounds better for walking a snowy road then Teva's. I was able to grab a small duffle bag with extra clothes (soaked, of course, but better than nothing) and some candy snacks (which might come in very handy). The cell phone was wet and didn't want to turn on (or at least the screen didn't), so I knew I had to hoof it to get help. I wrote a short note in the dirt on the car so any seeing it would know I was out. I climbed down into the water, it was only thigh deep, I checked up the road to see if the fence lead to a house, but no go. So I started back the way I'd come - I knew there were houses back there, but not how far. After a mile I spotted a car coming in, flagged them down and asked for help. I got in - warmth!!! - and they were able to get a cell signal a little ways up the road and called 911. They waited with me until a deputy arrived about 9am. They were three Mountaineer's heading off for a scramble of (something-or-other) Butte.

A tow truck arrived, and with some intricate pulling here and there, got the van upright. My pack was half hanging out the shattered rear window, with the snowshoes dangling, held only by the microspikes I clipped to the top of the shovel handle to carry to the car. We watched one Teva float out and down river. Both the rear and middle windows on the passenger side were gone, every panel on the that side was crumpled, but the headlight (driver side, I have no idea where the passenger one went, just a gapping hole) was still on. They were able to get it up the bank - adding a few scratchs to the other injuries, and connected to the tow truck. We head back to Cle Elum. Every piece of electronics I had was dead or acting up (cell phone, PDA, GPSr and camera), and for the life of me I could not remember my wife's work number (it's programmed in the phones so I never look at it anymore and the PDA is dead). All the time getting the van out and the drive back I'm trying to dry the cell phone - at least enough to get the wife's number. The screen would work for a short bit, but always went screwy by the time I was looking for the number. Finally back at the yard, I tried the speed dial and it worked! She was able to drop what they were working on (non-critical training for her to back up a co-worker) and drove over to get me.

Here's a couple of pictures the tow truck driver took at the scene (I didn't think to ask for one of the passenger side back at the yard):

(Images aren't working right, I'll try to add some later)

Edited by The Jester