Colorado Mountain Caching

Team Dennis

Hey everyone,

My wife and I (along with her brother and his wife) will be making our annual pilgrimage to Summit County in mid February for a week of skiing and relaxing and maybe some caching. Well…for sure some caching. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some "shouldn't miss" caches. We will be staying in the Dillon/Silverthorne area. If the snow quality continues to be poor we'll be doing a few day trips around the area. We'll be driving an AWD wagon (Ford Freestyle) so no off road caches. We will, however, have our snowshoes and we love to hike and we're not afraid of a workout.

I have tentatively talked everyone into heading down to do Terryall (the oldest cache in the state) so any cool caches between there and Silverthorne would be great.

We're probably also looking at road tripping to Glenwood Springs for a day of swimming and vapor caves, although the "Hanging Lake" Earthcache might be on our hit list.

We plan to ski at Loveland twice, Copper Mountain once or twice and (if snow conditions improve) Breckenridge once. I've found caches at all 3 places and I have to say the ones at Copper have been the most fun.

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend the Hanging Lake as a trip to take. It may be a bit tough if there is heavy snow (it's fairly steep in spots), but it's wonderful once you make it to the top.

53da155f-b56c-4257-b550-5219de410ed6.jpg

I'm hoping someone with more information of the area responds to other options near Dillon. I looked through my finds and I don't have many in that area (yet).

Did this one back in 2003 and it is still active.

Copper Mt American Flyer

The snow where the cache is located is probably powder but it is not that far off of the groomed trail.

Funny you picked that one. I bagged it 2 years ago!

If you ever get back to Copper you should really give Mise en Place a shot. It was a really fun cache even though it took quite a bit of searching to find.

If you ever get back to Copper you should really give Mise en Place a shot. It was a really fun cache even though it took quite a bit of searching to find.

Looking at the cache page for that, you were the last to find it almost a year ago.

I haven't been skiing for a couple of years now but we were enjoying Steamboat Ski area for several trips. Have you been there? I bagged a virtual there a few years ago.

Buddy's Run

We would ski for a few days and snowmobile for a day than back to skiing. About every other night we would head to Strawberry Park hot springs. Wayyy better than the pool in town.

Looking at the cache page for that, you were the last to find it almost a year ago.

I haven't been skiing for a couple of years now but we were enjoying Steamboat Ski area for several trips. Have you been there? I bagged a virtual there a few years ago.

Buddy's Run

We would ski for a few days and snowmobile for a day than back to skiing. About every other night we would head to Strawberry Park hot springs. Wayyy better than the pool in town.

I'm guessing the reason for no one getting it this year as that part of Copper really hasn't been open very long this year and the tree skiing has got to be terrible with the severe lack of snow.

Never skied Steamboat yet. Someday...someday.