Etrex 10 or Etrex 20?

Hi All,

This is my first post on here. I currently own a Garmin Etrex venture HC and love it, it so accurate (better than my friend's magellan) and does everything I want, but I'm thinking of upgrading to their new Etrex 10 to take advantage of paperless caching rather than print out reams of paper everytime I go out.

I keep looking at the Etrex 20 for the mapping function but don't like (or rather can't afford) the cost of the OS maps, so this puts me off pushing the boat out and getting the Etrex 20.

My question, is there another way to get OS style maps onto a GPS like the Etrex 20 without paying the price for official maps? I'm not talking about pirating the maps I'm talking about transfering maps from something like google maps etc.

There doesn't seem any point in paying the extra money for the Etrex 20 if I'm not going to download the maps, it looks like the Etrex 10 will do what I need, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing a trick before I get the Etrex 10.

If I think I'm reading the post correctly, are the maps that are talked about in the post entitled "Latest OpenStreeMap UK Garmin Mapsets... " what I need? Sorry if I'm being dim.

Cheers in advance.

Edited by The Kentish Roses

The new eTrex 10 is a very basic unit and doesn't support any maps. The 20 is a much better choice. There are free maps available for pretty well all Garmin units and you can download OS maps to them too. For a detailed comparison of features (maps, paperless, memory size, geocaches etc) take a look at my resource site, the page on GPS. There is a comparison table of all Garmin and Magellan GPS units as well as an explanation of what all the features mean. Link under my signature.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

talkytoaster has new, OS style maps (but less detail and "clutter") for the 20, they look pretty good on my 30, but I've not yet been out caching using them (hailing right now here!), I actually prefer them on my device to the real 50k OS maps as the small screen is not great for full OS detail.

download link or the download page ishere

Might also be worth noting that with go outdoors doing their pricematch +10% it may be possible to get the 30 for very little more than the 20! (we did)

Edited by frosty68

Thanks guys, it was the talkietoaster ones I was refering to at the end of my post.

I certainly don't expect OS quality maps for free, so talkie toaster could be perfect. I just want some sort of map that, if I'm in an area I don't know and want to find a cache it gives me some sort of idea as to where it is, ie the other side of a main road, in the town, on the outskirts of town etc etc, sounds like the 20 is the way to go, along with talkie toaster's maps.

I can't remember the shop, they had it at £185 + £5 delivery, so I paid £171. Initially I sent the web based price check thing, but got no reply (christmas holidays) so I took the printout to the shop, who checked it there and then and gave the discount. When I got home I had an email refusing the pricematch as the go outdoors version comes with a £20 birdseye mapping voucher (60 sq miles?), which the others may not...happy dance time :D

Not used the voucher yet, still trying to decide if I need it, and just which small area to grab.

biggest reason for us to get the 30 over the 20 was the 3 axis compass...figured we either wanted everything now, or a really basic arrow.

Edited by frosty68

one last question, promise, how much should I ask for my Garmin Venture HC? I think I still have the box. The unit has a couple of scratches on the side of the screen but they do not impact on what you are looking at, other than that great condition, comes with the PC lead, I was thinking £70/£80 is that fair?

I need to sell it to help pay for the Etrex 20! :-)

You'll pay £142.55 for the etrex 20 from Go-outdoors, thats if you've got their discount card...if you havent then add a fiver.

You'll get it at this price ONLY if you first go to handtec.co.uk and check the price there (£153 plus pence). Then use that price to 'pricecheck' the etrex 20 at go-outdoors. Send 'em an email, details on their website. They'll get back to you confirming the price (£142.55), you've then got a week to take them up on it!

How do I know this...? Its what I've done, now expecting my etrex 20 to arrive in the next day or so.

Add the talkytoaster maps and your away!!

Go for it!!!