Discovering features of my GPS device

Mallah

It's nearly 12 months since I bought my GPSMAP 62s and have had a great time with it ever since. One of the first things that struck me when I bought it was how much it does, and thinking it would take ages to learn all it was capable of.

Well, during the Christmas Holiday I discovered two more things about it that I either didn't know or had forgotten about because I thought I would never use it etc. So, as I tend to learn these things from places such as this I thought I'd pass it on as they say.

1. Wireless Sharing: Very useful it turns out when you upload the wrong PQ before setting out for a caching trip. Caching friends with similar models can send the cache details direct to you :)

2. Field Notes: What a fantastic facility that makes logging your finds SO easy when you return. Wish I'd known about this months ago.

Anyone else picked any tips up?

I use the field notes too (especially when I'm logging 20 caches in a day and they all start to blur in to one). One or two words about each cache really helps jog my memory and write meaningful logs when I'm at home. I use an Oregon 450t.

One of the other (much more mundane) features which I wouldn't be without is the calendar on the last screen. How many times have I opened a container, written my name then drawn a blank as to what the date is! This little thing has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I also quite like the ability to store photos (should the CO include a spoiler pic on the web page) Yes, the usability is a bit clunky, but it has helped on occasions.

I like the Profiles feature which makes it easy to switch between OS coordinates for walking and map reading and lat long for caching.

Profiles is also one of the best features for me - I use mine as SatNav on the motorbike, so often swap between profiles several times a day.

I also like Custom Maps, but really, really wish I could load more than it allows. It's just not enough for a 2 or 3 day trip covering different areas.

Rgds, Andy

It's nearly 12 months since I bought my GPSMAP 62s and have had a great time with it ever since. One of the first things that struck me when I bought it was how much it does, and thinking it would take ages to learn all it was capable of.

Well, during the Christmas Holiday I discovered two more things about it that I either didn't know or had forgotten about because I thought I would never use it etc. So, as I tend to learn these things from places such as this I thought I'd pass it on as they say.

1. Wireless Sharing: Very useful it turns out when you upload the wrong PQ before setting out for a caching trip. Caching friends with similar models can send the cache details direct to you :)

2. Field Notes: What a fantastic facility that makes logging your finds SO easy when you return. Wish I'd known about this months ago.

Anyone else picked any tips up?

I'm in the same boat. I just got a Montana 600 and as we all know, the Garmin documentation leaves a lot to be desired as far as going into much detail about the unit's functions. There is definitaly a learning curve associated with all the new devices. Seems somewhat alien to me since I came from a GPS-V. Over time, I'm sure I'll get it figured out.

I use the field notes too (especially when I'm logging 20 caches in a day and they all start to blur in to one). One or two words about each cache really helps jog my memory and write meaningful logs when I'm at home. I use an Oregon 450t.

One of the other (much more mundane) features which I wouldn't be without is the calendar on the last screen. How many times have I opened a container, written my name then drawn a blank as to what the date is! This little thing has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I also quite like the ability to store photos (should the CO include a spoiler pic on the web page) Yes, the usability is a bit clunky, but it has helped on occasions.

How do you get the photos onto the gps? I`ve wondered on occasions why there`s a photo viewer on the Oregon.

How do you use and access field notes on the GPSmap 62s?

As you log caches as found, and make notes etc, it saves it all to a .txt file on the GPS.

Go to 'Your Profile' and select 'Field Notes' from the drop down.

Near the bottom of that page is a link 'upload my field notes'.

From there you will find instructions specific to your make of GPS.

Haven't worked out the photo's bit yet - look forward to hearing how to do that.

Edited by mike142sl

As you log caches as found, and make notes etc, it saves it all to a .txt file on the GPS.

Haven't worked out the photo's bit yet - look forward to hearing how to do that.

Thanks Mike, much appreciated :D

To do the photo bit you need to do an update to at least Version 3.50, thia update added the picture viewer. Then all you need to do is add the pictures to the JPEG directory on the device. I have added a small overprint to my images so as I can identify them, I use the GC number

To do the photo bit you need to do an update to at least Version 3.50, thia update added the picture viewer. Then all you need to do is add the pictures to the JPEG directory on the device. I have added a small overprint to my images so as I can identify them, I use the GC number

I hadn`t spotted the JPEG directory, cool thanks for that, I`ll have a dabble. :laughing: