What can I do with my Garmin 60CSX?

SoonerL8R

Happy New Year everyone! I'm fairly new to all of this and recently purchased a newer Garmin 60CSX and was wondering from some of you veterans out there who have had the pleasure of owning one, what can I do with this thing? I ask because I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with this piece of technology and just want to make sure I optimize it to the fullest! Can I paperless cache, what program do I need to run a pocket query? Is there some software I can install so I can see all of the backroads instead of just the big highways like interstates? I'd greatly appreciate any tips or secrets from anyone who owns or has owned one of these!

I have one of those - I like it, but it took me a long time to figure it out.

If it's paperless, then that's news to me. As far as I know, it stores just the coordinates of any given cache, so if you want/need to see the description/hint/logs, you need to either bring paper, or a smart phone with a geocaching app, etc.

I use GSAK for getting pocket queries on to the 60csx. That one took me a long time to figure out, too. If the links provided by other posters don't answer your questions, I'm happy to send you the step-by-step instructions that I wrote down when I was pulling my hair trying to get my first pocket query on to the 60csx.

If it's paperless, then that's news to me. As far as I know, it stores just the coordinates of any given cache, so if you want/need to see the description/hint/logs, you need to either bring paper, or a smart phone with a geocaching app, etc.

I use GSAK for getting pocket queries on to the 60csx. That one took me a long time to figure out, too. If the links provided by other posters don't answer your questions, I'm happy to send you the step-by-step instructions that I wrote down when I was pulling my hair trying to get my first pocket query on to the 60csx.

Does GSAK cost? I've thought about that program but when I googled it it came up as one that cost so I steered away for now.

Does GSAK cost? I've thought about that program but when I googled it it came up as one that cost so I steered away for now.

GSAK is technically offered for free...you get a free trial period (60 days IIRC) and after that it still works but you get a nag screen (which gets increasingly longer) requesting that you register.

EasyGPS is another program that is not nearly as versatile as GSAK but is free and will easily transfer your PQ's to the GPS.

When I create the pq does it need to be in loc or a gpx file to transfer it? Sorry for the questions but I really am not sure how it works but I guess I could just download it and give it a try.

GSAK is technically offered for free...you get a free trial period (60 days IIRC) and after that it still works but you get a nag screen (which gets increasingly longer) requesting that you register.

EasyGPS is another program that is not nearly as versatile as GSAK but is free and will easily transfer your PQ's to the GPS.

This is what I do:

1. Create a new pocket query (click "build pocket queries" from the link in your profile, then "create new query"). Tell it to run today. It chooses for you the type of file (I think - at least I don't know how to tell it to send me gpx or loc file and I wouldn't have a clue what the difference is).

2. When that pocket query arrives, download it.

3. Open GSAK (it's free - I haven't paid for it yet, so when I go to open it, it gives me a nag screen for something like 4 minutes).

4. Click "Database" then "new." Name it with the date (using hyphens, not front slashes).

5. Click "File" then "load GPX/LOC/ZIP File." Upload the pocket query file you just downloaded (use the browse thing on the top field - click the file folder of the most recent download, then click "ok" down at the bottom). If you get it right, then the files will take a min. to extract and download.

6. Find the blasted cord that came with the 60csx (this will take at least a half hour!) Plug the GPS in to the computer with that cord. Turn GPS on. Delete all the old waypoints/routes/etc. Go to "find geocaches" (it'll be empty- that's ok - if it asks you if you want to set up the geocaches, say no).

7. On the computer, using GSAK, click "GPS" then "send waypoints." You'll see the new waypoints (geocaches) appear on the "find geocaches" screen.

8. When you exit GSAK, it'll ask you if you want to backup - yes.

9. Breathe a sigh of relief and save these instructions so you don't have to figure this all out again. :D

Sorry if that's too detailed - I don't mean to insult your intelligence or anything. I was so incredibly frustrated when I first tried getting a pocket query on to that thing though and it wasn't until I found someone else's similar (although not as detailed) instructions that it finally worked.

The 60CSx is not a true paperless unit. You can create a macro in GSAK which will put poi's ( additional points of interest ) on your unit making it possible to read descriptions, hints, etc. You will NOT be able to upload finds to your computer for logging. Its an awkward work around that makes the unit a little paperless......folks also use this method to store cache info. on their Nuvis.

Through some creative use of POI's you can get most information on a 60CSX, but reading long description and logs is awful. I find myself sometimes using my smartphone to look up some descriptions and logs out of interest, but in general it works fine for paperless caching.

Edited by Hultis-

Happy New Year everyone! I'm fairly new to all of this and recently purchased a newer Garmin 60CSX and was wondering from some of you veterans out there who have had the pleasure of owning one, what can I do with this thing? I ask because I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with this piece of technology and just want to make sure I optimize it to the fullest! Can I paperless cache, what program do I need to run a pocket query? Is there some software I can install so I can see all of the backroads instead of just the big highways like interstates? I'd greatly appreciate any tips or secrets from anyone who owns or has owned one of these!

The 60CSx doesn't support paperless caching in the sense most people understand it. You can download up to 1000 waypoints to it (that includes caches, parking waypoints, multicache stages etc, so you get a total of 1000).

You can set up pocket queries through your profile, http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx

If you open a GPX in MapSource or BaseCamp (you may have got MapSource on CD with your unit) you can look at the pocket queries, prune out any you don't want, and then send them to your GPS. There are assorted other pieces of software that provide varying levels of functionality for processing GPX files.

You can download a bunch of maps for free from places like http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl - these are based on the OpenStreetMap project which is effectively a map wiki. You can buy maps from Garmin as well but they come with a lot more restrictions in terms of how many units you can link them to, and of course they aren't updated anywhere near as often as the open source maps.

I used a 60CSx for about five years and only recently upgraded it to a Montana. I still rate the 60CSx very highly and still have mine, just in case anything happens to my new toy. It's a great piece of kit.

The 69CSx is still a great caching unit for finding caches. We have a Nuvi 550 for our routing to the site and also for

paperless information. When we get there we use two 60CSx to find the cache. We also use GSAK to load all three of the GPSs and to download map info to MS S&T. We do print out maps with 5 or 6 caches on each page and write in the size and hint on the map page for each cache. We found that is all we usually need to know. If we need more we consult the Nuvi 550. The maps help me to keep an idea where we are and how to get to the next cache. Bitchen Betty usually does a good job, but once in a while she tries to lead us on a wild goose trip. We are in our mid-eighties and need all the help we can get.

The 60CSx doesn't support paperless caching in the sense most people understand it. You can download up to 1000 waypoints to it (that includes caches, parking waypoints, multicache stages etc, so you get a total of 1000).

I don't have a 60CSx myself, but from what I've read it can handle a much larger amount of custom POI's. This means you can just use POI Loader to add the caches like that instead, circumventing the limit of 1000. I do this on my eTrex Legend HCx.

I have the same problem trying to unracel GSAK. I have got part of the way along the line. However it does not matter what I do when saving the pocket qyuery the file always defaults to .LOC and not .GPX.

Any hep would be welocme.

I cache infrequently but when I do it is long runs

Happy New YEar

Silurian (UK)

The Garmin 60CSX is compatible with paperless caching. You can set up Pocket Queries here. These are the city maps you can download to view interstate to local roads on your device, but I don't think backroads are included. There are also topo maps available.

Ambient_Skater must have been thinking of the newer Garmin 62CSX, which is indeed paperless.

I have a 60CSX and use a Nuvi 550 for the paperless portion, as well as for routing (driving) me to the general area. I love that combination. It works well for me.

I use GSAK to process and load my pocket query data into both units. Loading the Nuvi with the cache page info requires use of a GSAK macro that can be downloaded from the GSAK website.

There are other maps available other than those from Garmin. The quality and the purpose vary. You can use Garmin's MapSource or its newer Basecamp software for loading them in. It will take some learning, though. Check out GPSFileDepot.com for both maps and tutorials on how to load & swap maps.

I have the same problem trying to unracel GSAK. I have got part of the way along the line. However it does not matter what I do when saving the pocket qyuery the file always defaults to .LOC and not .GPX.

Happy New YEar

Silurian (UK)

Could you clarify what you're saying, please? When you get the pocket query emailed or downloaded from Geocaching.com, what file format is it in?

When you say you are having problems "saving the pocket query," do you mean getting it from Geocaching.com, or are you referring to the step where you try to get the information onto your GPS? Also, what GPS are you using?

GeoBC

The 60CSx/Nuvi 550 /GSAK combo really can't be beat. We did it until we got an Oregon 450 about a year ago ( until then we brought the 550 on the trail).....its nice having everything on one unit. Recently I added a 62S and I'd rate it about as good as the CSx in finding GZ ( the 450 not quite as good).

Of every combo. I've used to date, going in to the woods with the 62S and having my Magellan Platinum as backup is about the best I've found. I now use my Nuvi 780 for driving to caches as it has a larger screen and I like the way the maps look as opposed to the 550.

Edited by BAMBOOZLE

I wonder if one can uninstall it, reboot and then reinstall a fresh download to "reset" the nag screen counter...

Knowschad said: "I use GSAK to process and load my pocket query data into both units. Loading the Nuvi with the cache page info requires use of a GSAK macro that can be downloaded from the GSAK website."

You can also load the Nuvi 550 by selecting it from the Send to GPS set-up and then just using the Send to GPS on the GSAK page. I understand you can load more caches using the macro

Edited by W7WT

Just so the PO can see what it looks like using the gsak macro and loading as POI`s here is a link. This is an older version of the macro but it shows what it looks like on the gps with numerous pages of cache description, hint, logs. When I used it I just put the hint with the POI and abbreviated cache info like size, type, last 4 logs, terrain, difficulty. I also loaded it as waypoints and if I needed the hint just looked it up in the POI section.

GSAK is FREE to download and use, but after 21 days of unrestricted use you get a nag screen. You can keep using GSAK after the 21 days, but if you want to remove the nag screen you will need to register the program

what they don't tell you is that the nag screen is a timer that grows and grows, i don't use it but but i just checked the nag screen and its at 6 minutes after 717 days of use, read that "since installed" :lol:

what they don't tell you is that the nag screen is a timer that grows and grows, i don't use it but but i just checked the nag screen and its at 6 minutes after 717 days of use, read that "since installed" :lol:

Uninstall it and reinstall. See if it resets the counter. I do this with a lot of "free" programs that either do stuff like this or lock you out completely after 30 days or whatever. :laughing:

Edited by sviking

I wonder if one can uninstall it, reboot and then reinstall a fresh download to "reset" the nag screen counter...

No, you can't. I put up with the nag screen for a long time when I first started before I finally caved and sent Clyde my money. I haven't regretted it since. That is awesomely powerful software, and at that price, a steal.

I love my 60CSx and use it often, even though I have two paperless Garmin handhelds which I also enjoy using. It's a great, tough, reliable GPSr that's easy to use and very accurate. I recently spent too long looking for a cache when along came a fellow cacher and showed me the hint on his iphone. My trusty 60CSx had me right on top of the cache but, alas, no hint unless you write it down or use GSAK. I was lazy that day and didn't have my printed map and clue but I'll never give up my 60.

Uninstall it and reinstall. See if it resets the counter. I do this with a lot of "free" programs that either do stuff like this or lock you out completely after 30 days or whatever. :laughing:

Once again... please don't try to cheat Clyde out of his money. And check out the support on their forums. If you have problems and email him, it is likely that you will receive help the same day. Service with a smile.

Once again... please don't try to cheat Clyde out of his money. And check out the support on their forums. If you have problems and email him, it is likely that you will receive help the same day. Service with a smile.

Cheat Clyde? Never even used his product, but I do love my 60CSx. :anibad:

Happy New YEar

Silurian (UK)

So when you create a new pocket query and you're selecting all the different choices for that particular pocket query, and you get down to the bottom where it says "Output to," it doesn't give you the option to save it as either a .gpx file or a .loc file? Is that what you're saying?

(Frankly, I didn't even remember the choice between .gpx and .loc existed on there until just now when I looked.)

If I actually understood GSAK, I'd probably think it was amazing, too. I really hate figuring out computer junk. I've put a grand total of three pocket queries on to my 60csx since I bought it in 09. Each time it felt like it took an act of god. :D Mostly I just enter coords manually.

My introduction to GSAK was as a new purchaser of the 60csx, and I was amazed that I couldn't just plug the blasted thing in to the computer and load her up. (For all I know, maybe you can, but someone told me that I had to use GSAK instead.)

I was actually quite disappointed at first at how user unfriendly the whole thing was compared to the iPhone that I had been using. But its accuracy won me over. (Except I still shudder at putting pocket queries on to the thing.) :)

I am not sure what the problems with using GSAK is. I loaded a pocket query last night to my 60CSx and it took less than 5 minutes from the start to finish. That included going to Geocaching.com and telling it to send the Pocket Query. I agree with team tisri, the cost of this program is amazing when you consider what it does and what it must have taken to write it. Not to mention maintaining it.

As to the original question ... The 60 CSx is not paperless but is a fantastic unit for finding caches. If you spend the money on GSAK, take a few minutes to orient yourself to it, then install the PQ, you can be caching with the best of them in no time.

I have three other Garmin GPSrs but the CSx is my caching machine. I also use the Geocaching App on my smartphone for all other information needed to make my trip paperless.

There are a lot of maps available. The Topo maps will give you a lot of back roads and trails and you can also find actual backpacking maps showing hiking trails in many areas.

As to what the 60CSx will do - I have had mine for quite a while and I don't know if I will every figure out all that it will do. But it does almost everything I want or need a caching machine to do.

Edited by Dooley the Clown and Joy

I must admit I'm often staggered at the amount of effort people will go to in order to save as little as $25.

Amount of effort? It's nothing to uninstall and reinstall. Don't even usually have to reboot. :laughing:

And how many times do you do this, to save a one-off payment of $25? Seriously, what's the point? If people do that then sooner or later the option to try before you buy just disappears.

I just find it remarkable that people will gladly pay $30 every year to Groundspeak but then won't pay $25 once and think they are being clever.