etrex venture hc

GlennaMike

i got a new etrex venture hc and have read the pamplet . along with my mema. we are lost. it works on the computer but it just gives me numbers like 007 008? i need help with my new hobby.thank you

The 007 and 008 are default Waypoint names on Garmin GPS units. Every time you manually MARK a new Waypoint it will increment that Waypoint number by one so they are all unique. Of course you have the option to change that 007 to something more meaningful like CABIN or GC12345 or MAIN ST before you save it to the GPS. Actually you also have the option to edit it after it's been saved if you forgot.

You say "it works on the computer". I assume you mean you are downloading the information by way of a cable to your GPS from a computer, instead of doing it manually. If that is the case, how are you getting the information on to your computer, and what software are you using to transfer the data to your GPS. The better you explain what you are doing the better answer someone can give you to solve your problem.

i got a new etrex venture hc and have read the pamplet . along with my mema. we are lost. it works on the computer but it just gives me numbers like 007 008? i need help with my new hobby.thank you

The 007 and 008 are default Waypoint names on Garmin GPS units. Every time you manually MARK a new Waypoint it will increment that Waypoint number by one so they are all unique. Of course you have the option to change that 007 to something more meaningful like CABIN or GC12345 or MAIN ST before you save it to the GPS. Actually you also have the option to edit it after it's been saved if you forgot.

You say "it works on the computer". I assume you mean you are downloading the information by way of a cable to your GPS from a computer, instead of doing it manually. If that is the case, how are you getting the information on to your computer, and what software are you using to transfer the data to your GPS. The better you explain what you are doing the better answer someone can give you to solve your problem.

we are using geocaching.com we are going out this weekend to try it out. do you have to be a premium member for it to download the description and all that?

Yes you do, but I don't think the Etrex Venture supports downloading it. In other words, it won't work on your gps. You could try printing the information or downloading an app on your phone to store info. But you do have to be a premium member to download the file.