Create a zone from an address - Server Unavailable

Kayak194

I downloaded the Wherigo builder, went through all the tutorials and now I can't get through the first screen. When I attempt to create a starting place (either in builder or the test build Wizard) from an address I get the message that says "Error looking up address. The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable." I can't get the thing to start the new cartridge because I can't save it because the server. Is anyone else getting this problem? I've tried for getting close to three days with the same message.

Thanks!

I downloaded the Wherigo builder, went through all the tutorials and now I can't get through the first screen. When I attempt to create a starting place (either in builder or the test build Wizard) from an address I get the message that says "Error looking up address. The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable." I can't get the thing to start the new cartridge because I can't save it because the server. Is anyone else getting this problem? I've tried for getting close to three days with the same message.

Thanks!

The map only works in US. Try normal streetnames without funny letter, you can very east change the coordinates later

Thanks j-annie. I'm in the US and I'm trying to start one and I keep getting the same error message. I've tried my address with exact address and tried it as generic as just the zip code and everything in between. No matter what I put it won't accept the address, or direct coordinates.

Shown below is a recent answer that I received from the folks at Wherigo.

Hello Randy,

Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Wherigo. In order to support the rapid community growth of Geocaching.com in the past couple of years, it has been necessary to shift previously dedicated resources from Wherigo to Geocaching. This means that we have not had a chance to update the Wherigo builder to address the decommission of the Terraserver in favor of Bing Maps.

I encourage you to take a look at one of the third-party builders available, including the popular Urwigo. You can get more information on this and other elements of Wherigo in the Wherigo forums.

Sorry that we can't be of more help at this time.

You would think they would fix this or at the very least add a comment to the webpage to stop us newbies getting frustrated because of a stupid error message which is their fault! I only found this error thread when I googled the error message to see if I could find a solution :(

Edited by justmeg

And just for you newbies: Groundspeak isn't going to update the web site for quite a while. I've been getting on them to fix the unlock code issue since April and we've seen how this has worked out. Unless they're planning something and leading me astray in their phone conversations, that's the current status.

I don't like being able to share the full situation just yet, but believe me when I say there's cause for hope in 2013.