Earthcache inside museums

toczygroszek

The FAQ response on EarthCache.org has been update.

Can I develop an EarthCache as part of a museum or other exhibit?

GSA strongly encourages the development of EarthCaches outdoors rather than indoors. However, EarthCaches can be developed for indoor locations. Like an outdoor EarthCache, an indoor EarthCache must meet all general geocaching guidelines as posted at www.geocaching.com, as well as all EarthCaching guidelines, as posted at www.earthcache.org.

Thank you for those who raised the discussion, and as always each cache is assessed on its own merits.

Many thanks to Sandy and Neos2 for clarifying this. :)

Many thanks to Sandy and Neos2 for clarifying this. :)

Actually, I provided the same text before the two and you just would have needed to read my posting.

So you are a moderator or a member of GSA? I don't think so!

No, of course not, I never claimed to have either of these roles. I answered your question and just did what Sandy asked us to do: watch how the FAQ is changing and copied both the old and the new text from the FAQ into this thread.

Cezanne

Sandy and Neos2 clarified the problem as in resolving the issue. You only were the first to regurgitate the solution, not arrive at it!

I never claimed that I was involved in reformulating the FAQ.

You wrote, however, the following several posts above

I just checked the referenced guidelines and cannot find any reference to the original discussion point (ECs inside museums). Was it removed? Is that the result of the discussions between GS and GSA? What, if anything has happened? Maybe I missed something, but is that how the problem will be addressed by simply removing previous guideline language without explanation?

I provided you with answers and clarifications to your questions above. I am not intending to continue the discussion - so don't worry about that. I just found it strange that you ignored my reply while answering to later answers and quoting them.

Cezanne

Domo!!! (= Howdy! in Japanese)

I have been watching this topic for a while, in interest of the outcome.

I actually do have some ideas related to having an EarthCache by a museum that has very interesting geological artifacts, which I think are definitely worth bringing cachers to see.

One would be indoors, and I myself also agree to be a bit 'hesitant' on going further with the publication process.

The other is actually an outdoor exhibit on museum property, though totally free & open to public, more or less 24/7/365.

From the revised guideline wordings, I presume it's actually possible to publish an EC for this location, once I get official permission from the museum & go through the proper process of publishing an EC as usual.

I do understand that this could possibly frown some 'diehard' EC-ers out there.

Yet, I also think placing one by a museum would draw more interest towards Geocaching & Geology all together, from tadpole cachers & cachers-to-be, who are visiting the museum to dip themselves into the wonderful world of nature & science anyways.

Going further in my thoughts, I even wish a GPS Maze Exhibit to be brought to this location someday & soon.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks!

~ Dr.MORO

I have an EC in Nairobi in the grounds to the museum - plenty of great fossils inside if you want to go (that is optional - but many earth sceince enthusiasts would pay if there were there I am sure) - even without an EC.

But there is a great big fossil in-situ outside that is the GZ for the EC - so not necessary to enter to get a EC lesson and enjoy the view.

Another EC that is in an OUTDOOR museum - inspired by geology is the Big Hole musem in Kimberley, South Africa, which again is one of the main reasons one would travel to this site - and to see the largest hand dug hole in world is worth the entrance fee - I am sure none of us would mind paying if we had travelled all the way to get there - EC again being a bonus - and not possible to get close enought to see the hole otherwise.

Big Hole EC

So I also like the new wording - sometimes it is justified - but I agree, going to the museum in yopur home town (or many others around the world) to see an "history of mankind" display is not quite the same.

Domo again!!!

Self-quote update.

The other is actually an outdoor exhibit on museum property, though totally free & open to public, more or less 24/7/365.

From the revised guideline wordings, I presume it's actually possible to publish an EC for this location, once I get official permission from the museum & go through the proper process of publishing an EC as usual.

I do understand that this could possibly frown some 'diehard' EC-ers out there.

Yet, I also think placing one by a museum would draw more interest towards Geocaching & Geology all together, from tadpole cachers & cachers-to-be, who are visiting the museum to dip themselves into the wonderful world of nature & science anyways.

Newly published, at last!

Rock Stahs! - The Rock Gahden of MoS

Come visit & enhance your Earth Science knowledge!

What would be an example of a EarthCache in a museum that is permitted? Because I got shut down for an EC about the formation of minerals in the American Museum of Natural History in NYC.

Standard caveat applies, that is, there is no precedent for placing caches (i.e., the fact that it was done once does not guarantee it will happen again).

Looking back through the thread, I think the intent is clear that museum caches can be allowed but really should incorporate outdoor as well as indoor tasks.

Here's one that is solely an indoor museum earthache: Petrified Wood-A Clue to the Past at Skidaway Is. I don't think you'd see this one approved today, because it can be accomplished entirely within the museum.

But nearby, here's one that starts you out inside the nature center, then takes you outside for the rest of the lesson: SE Wetlands-The Salt Marsh-Skidaway Island S P. The reviewers can correct me if I am wrong, but this seems to me to be more in line with their intent of combining indoor and outdoor tasks.

If there was a nearby rock formation, say, someplace in Central Park, where cachers could apply the lessons learned in the museum to an outcropping, perhaps that might help. Ask your reviewer. They're not necessarily going to redraft a proposed listing for you, but I've found that the EC reviewers are more than willing to be more than just the person with the "yes" or "no" stamp.

What would be an example of a EarthCache in a museum that is permitted? Because I got shut down for an EC about the formation of minerals in the American Museum of Natural History in NYC.

Ask your reviewer. They're not necessarily going to redraft a proposed listing for you, but I've found that the EC reviewers are more than willing to be more than just the person with the "yes" or "no" stamp.

I was actually told there is no way it was possible to be made and the page was archived. I wish the story was different..

Well, if you disagree, you can always appeal it to Groundspeak. Not saying it will be successful, but that's the process that's in place.

I know it's disappointing to have an earthcache listing turned down, especially if you've put some work into it. I had it happen to me. But life goes on, and there are other earthcache opportunities out there.

Well, if you disagree, you can always appeal it to Groundspeak. Not saying it will be successful, but that's the process that's in place.

I know it's disappointing to have an earthcache listing turned down, especially if you've put some work into it. I had it happen to me. But life goes on, and there are other earthcache opportunities out there.

Exactly. Actually just submitted another EarthCache involving a colossal waterfall with amazing history at a local National Park. Geology around it is quite epic. Anyway, yes, life moves on.

ok, now I think this might actually bring up a serious question since there are now two cases of EC's being designed to work inside museums being shot down because they are in a museum, even though the Quote post above allows them.

Now I understand there may be specific issues that killed them, but if the only issue is that it's in a museum...doesn't that seem to go against what is now quoted as in the Earthcache FAQ?

I am all for indoor caches of any kind currently it's 105 outside

*giggles* that's not too bad. Sounds almost like an average summer vacation. Try caching in roughly 122F, that's our record, of the kind "jump out of car, get cache, get quickly inside car again" :laughing:

Mrs. terratin

ok, there apparently is a disconnect of the Earthcache review team on this issue.

So Geoaware, PLEASE note this and let your reviewers know.

Recently a friend of mine worked with me and the local science center to build an earthcache that did ask that you at one point go inside the center to look at example of the science concept.

However, the cache was denied because "General indoor displays are not permitted as the subject of an Earthcache."

Again, I quote the FAQ:

GSA strongly encourages the development of EarthCaches outdoors rather than indoors. However, EarthCaches can be developed for indoor locations. Like an outdoor EarthCache, an indoor EarthCache must meet all general geocaching guidelines as posted at www.geocaching.com, as well as all EarthCaching guidelines, as posted at www.earthcache.org.

I am working with my friend on crafting the appeal, but since this is now the third earthcache that has been denied that was solely on the fact that it was indoors that I know of because it was posted on this thread, there is obviously a disconnect between this rule change and the understanding of the reviewers.

it's getting sort of hard to help people who want to make an earthcache make one with the new rules when the reviewers aren't following the FAQ. Just to be clear, I am posting this to bring awareness to Geoaware of this issue. It's not my cache, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but this is becoming a consistent pattern.

ok, there apparently is a disconnect of the Earthcache review team on this issue.

So Geoaware, PLEASE note this and let your reviewers know.

Recently a friend of mine worked with me and the local science center to build an earthcache that did ask that you at one point go inside the center to look at example of the science concept.

However, the cache was denied because "General indoor displays are not permitted as the subject of an Earthcache."

Again, I quote the FAQ:

I am working with my friend on crafting the appeal, but since this is now the third earthcache that has been denied that was solely on the fact that it was indoors that I know of because it was posted on this thread, there is obviously a disconnect between this rule change and the understanding of the reviewers.

it's getting sort of hard to help people who want to make an earthcache make one with the new rules when the reviewers aren't following the FAQ. Just to be clear, I am posting this to bring awareness to Geoaware of this issue. It's not my cache, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but this is becoming a consistent pattern.

The GSA worded their FAQ about indoor EarthCaches to indicate that there will perhaps be exceptions that warrant publication. The caches are all assessed on their own merits. Your friend can forward their case to Appeals@Groundspeak.com. They will want to address why this indoor location is the only way a cacher can experience this specific geological feature.