Download via iPad to Garmin?

Twigs

I am planning on purchasing an iPad and one thing I want to be able to do is plug in my Garmin into it and download files just like I do with my laptop. Apple sells a nifty set of adapters that give you the ability to download pictures, etc. from SD cards, and a it also includes a second adapter that provides a USB port. Has anyone tried to use this and successfully used it to download caches to their gps?

Man good question, would be sweet if it worked

I'll have to go and borrow a friend's iPad for a few minutes to see if it works. I just wondered if others had tried this. We're going on a vacation to Hawaii in the spring and I'd rather travel with an iPad than a laptop. I hate entering in coordinates by hand. LOL

I know many of my fellow geocachers are also iPad owners. One of my favorite features of the geocaching website has been the ability to just plug my Garmin GPS in via a USB cable and quickly download caches into my unit with the push of a button. However, I am finding that this isn't possible with my iPad. Think how nice it would be for people who travel with their iPad and GPS to be able to easily download the caches rather than having to load them all at home via a desktop or laptop computer before we leave from home. I don't know about everyone else, but I hate adding them in manually. As more and more people gravitate to tablet computers (iPads being the largest portion) it would be a great feature to add.

Now, if someone out there has a work around for this I would love to hear about it.

Twigs

Two suggestions:

• Install one of the available apps that allow you to use your iPad as a GPS with complete access to cache descriptions, logs, etc.
  • Contact Garmin and ask that they produce the plug-in for which you are asking; Groundspeak does not develop them.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll give them a try, including writing Garmin. I think Apple has given the needed permission, because there is a Garmin plugin available for Safari, but it is for their MacBook or desktop Macs OS system.

I don't know much about this thing....but I'd done some brief research on this topic a while back.

It's called an AIRSTASH

http://www.airstash.com/

Wireless / USB flash drive/ SD Card reader

The assumption is.... you should be able to wirelessly put your PQ's from Ipad onto AIRSTREAM and onto SD card and then SD card into GPS. Worth checking it out. I just don't know much about it to say it actually works. It's interesting....

I'm looking to buy an ipad 2 as soon as the ipad 3's come out (assuming the 2's will drop in price) and taking it on vacation and wanting/needing an ability to put PQ's on the GPS. So, if anyone knows anything about this AIRSTASH or knows another method...I'm all ears!!

Edited by Lieblweb

I contacted Garmin about a plugin for the iPad download to Garmin option. All they wanted to do was point me to their opencaching app and basically told me they weren't going to be cooperating with geocaching.com on any further options.

Definitely not what I was hoping to hear, but an interesting development.

I been playing around with this today and succeeded, but whether it is a practical system that means you can leave the laptop at home when traveling remains to be seen. The bad news is you need to jailbreak your iPad in order to copy the downloaded pocket query gpx file on to a micro SD card for the GPS. Quite legal to do but probably not for everyone and apparently something Apple frowns on as it gives you access to the underlying file system on the iPad. Anyway, what I did was this.

Jailbreak iPad 1 and install iFile. This gives you the ability to write to SD cards.

Using Safari run a pocket query that will create the gpx file you want on the GPS.

Using iDownloader (free from the App Store) go to the pocket query screen and download the gpx zip file.

I have a Garmin Oregon 300 which takes a micro SD card. Remove that, insert into a micro SD card to SD card adaptor and then using the Apple camera connector kit attach to the iPad. You may need to create an empty DCIM directory on the card to fool the iPad into thinking it has a camera connected. Not sure if that is actually necessary or not yet.

Start iFile and move through the directory tree down under Applications/iDownloader/Documents and your gpx.zip file will be listed. iFile allows you to unzip an archive to get access to the gpx file you want on your gps.

Copy unzipped gpx file and paste into the Garmin/gpx directory on the micro SD card (you will need to create the folders once).

Eject the micro SD device, reinsert into the GPS and restart and there you are.

As I said, not a straight forward process unfortunately and if you are not comfortable with the thought of jail breaking your iPad not for you. The biggest problem I see at the moment is the micro SD card 'slot' on the Garmin is not very robust so I am not sure it is up to continual removal of the card. I may have to continue with the laptop after all, which is a shame as the iPad is quite capable but Apple have deliberately restricted it's usefulness here.

I did try to plug in my Garmin into the iPad directly using the USB camera connector and it failed as the iPad is prevented from supplying enough power to start it. I then tried the Garmin into a powered USB hub and then into the iPad which I expected to work but it didn't, just crashed the iPad. I'll keep trying with that approach and see if I can work round it somehow as that would make the process practical on the road.

Wow, that is quite the work around! I am impressed, but won't be giving it a try since I just don't feel good about jail breaking my new iPad. Hopefully in time this will be a moot point as app writers see the need and try to fill it for us. The iPad is the perfect travel companion but I guess I'll be downloading a PQ before I leave for Hawaii. Lol

I been playing around with this today and succeeded, but whether it is a practical system that means you can leave the laptop at home when traveling remains to be seen. The bad news is you need to jailbreak your iPad in order to copy the downloaded pocket query gpx file on to a micro SD card for the GPS. Quite legal to do but probably not for everyone and apparently something Apple frowns on as it gives you access to the underlying file system on the iPad. Anyway, what I did was this.

Jailbreak iPad 1 and install iFile. This gives you the ability to write to SD cards.

Using Safari run a pocket query that will create the gpx file you want on the GPS.

Using iDownloader (free from the App Store) go to the pocket query screen and download the gpx zip file.

I have a Garmin Oregon 300 which takes a micro SD card. Remove that, insert into a micro SD card to SD card adaptor and then using the Apple camera connector kit attach to the iPad. You may need to create an empty DCIM directory on the card to fool the iPad into thinking it has a camera connected. Not sure if that is actually necessary or not yet.

Start iFile and move through the directory tree down under Applications/iDownloader/Documents and your gpx.zip file will be listed. iFile allows you to unzip an archive to get access to the gpx file you want on your gps.

Copy unzipped gpx file and paste into the Garmin/gpx directory on the micro SD card (you will need to create the folders once).

As I said, not a straight forward process unfortunately and if you are not comfortable with the thought of jail breaking your iPad not for you. The biggest problem I see at the moment is the micro SD card 'slot' on the Garmin is not very robust so I am not sure it is up to continual removal of the card. I may have to continue with the laptop after all, which is a shame as the iPad is quite capable but Apple have deliberately restricted it's usefulness here.

I did try to plug in my Garmin into the iPad directly using the USB camera connector and it failed as the iPad is prevented from supplying enough power to start it. I then tried the Garmin into a powered USB hub and then into the iPad which I expected to work but it didn't, just crashed the iPad. I'll keep trying with that approach and see if I can work round it somehow as that would make the process practical on the road.

I have the iPad 1 and the iPad 2 and use them all the time for caching. As a matter of fact, I can use the iPad and leave the Garmin in the car most times. And using "FIND NEAREST CACHES" on the Geocaching apps, there is never a need to create a PQ or download to the Garmin. I took an Alaskan Cruise and found all the caches with only my iPad. I can see a few instances where being able to download from the iPad to the Garmin would be nice, like when you don't want to carry the iPad with you due to rain, snow or other inclement weather/conditions. Hopefully there is enough of an interest to create an app for this.

I would have to agree, I don't plan on using it either so back to the laptop sadly. I have had no success getting the iPad to recognise the Oregon 300 with a powered hub so I give in. It's a shame Apple are so restrictive in this area, it is a great portable computer but not ready to replace a laptop yet. Perhaps I should get a 4g new iPad after all, I'll just run that past the wife ... :P

As for jail breaking, I agree. I was interested to see what it involved and have a look 'under the hood' but don't see any compelling reason to do it for day to day use.

Wow, that is quite the work around! I am impressed, but won't be giving it a try since I just don't feel good about jail breaking my new iPad. Hopefully in time this will be a moot point as app writers see the need and try to fill it for us. The iPad is the perfect travel companion but I guess I'll be downloading a PQ before I leave for Hawaii. Lol

The new Microsoft Tablet will come with a USB port, which we are hoping will be compatible with the adapter on our Magellan GC.

Similarly, I have an ASUS transformer tablet (Android based) that works with a docking keyboard that has a USB port and a SD card slot (I have yet to buy the keyboard). I haven't tried using it for geocaching (and probably won't) and when traveling I'll typically have my laptop instead (or in addition to) the tablet. I've got GSAK running on my laptop and will download any necessary PQs to it before I leave. Transferring waypoints to/from a tablet to a GPS would be nice, but it would be even nicer to be able to use a waypoint manager like GSAK on the tablet to manage cache information before sending data to the GPS.

I HAVE THE PERFECT WAY TO DO IT!!!

All we need is Geocaching.com to add an extra button like the ones that say "LOC Waypoint File" "GPX File" "Send to My GPS" "Send to my phone"

The button they could add is "Send GPX to my E-mail" Once you click on it you could have that individual GPX file sent to your e-mail then you download the file from your e-mail on your iPad to iFiles which is an Ipad app, then transfer the GPX file to the SD card using an Airstash device. Otherwise you can just create a pocket query for multiple caches in an area and when you run it the PQ will be sent to your e-mail anyway. Then again, download the PQ to iFiles and then download the GPX to your SD card using the Airstash.

Here is a video on the process using Airstash:

I HAVE THE PERFECT WAY TO DO IT!!!

All we need is Geocaching.com to add an extra button like the ones that say "LOC Waypoint File" "GPX File" "Send to My GPS" "Send to my phone"

The button they could add is "Send GPX to my E-mail" Once you click on it you could have that individual GPX file sent to your e-mail then you download the file from your e-mail on your iPad to iFiles which is an Ipad app, then transfer the GPX file to the SD card using an Airstash device. Otherwise you can just create a pocket query for multiple caches in an area and when you run it the PQ will be sent to your e-mail anyway. Then again, download the PQ to iFiles and then download the GPX to your SD card using the Airstash.

Here is a video on the process using Airstash:

NEVERMIND...........I GUESS GEOCACHING.COM TOOK AWAY THE FEATURE THAT THE PQ GPX FILE GETS SENT TO YOUR E-MAIL......BUMMER!

Edited by NATE_USA

SORRY, LAST POST BUT I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

After playing around some more here is the deal!!! I was using Chrome as my browser first and that wouldn't work when I went to hit the "GPX File" on Geocaching.com's website.

However if you use Safari and hit the button or select a pocket query file it will automatically open a tab in safari downloading the GPX to iFiles. Then from there use Airstash to transfer the GPX file to your SD Card then pop the SD card back in your device and you will be good to go!

Happy to know this, because I don't want to lug around my Laptop either!

NATE_USA