New Oregon 450 and need help.

cterral

I got an Oregon 450 for Christmas and am somewhat frustrated. The unit comes with one map that does not have streets on it, only major highways. Being somewhat tech savvy I thought I would download a free map from GPSFileDepot (I think that is what it is called). I found the map I thought I wanted and went through all the hoops to put it on my Oregon 450 only to realize it was not exactly what I wanted. After a very frustrating experience I was able to remove it from my device and decided to pay the $80 USD to buy a map from Garmin hoping this would be much easier. Now as I am trying to load the thing onto my device I get a message saying I don't have enough memory. How much memory comes on the device? How big of a card do I need to use a map? GRRRRRR

First of all, READ before you do anything, could have saved you $$$, there should be stated how big the download is and if it's possible to save on HD and/or only on SD(GPS)

The Garmin Basemap is needed so don't delete anything from the Gps

The Us map is about 2Gb so an microSD of 4 GB should work

See some video's

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-450t-canada-videos.html

or on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=oregon+450&oq=oregon+450&aq=0&aqi=g9g-m1&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=384l2134l0l7219l6l6l0l1l1l0l221l862l1.2.2l5l0

The Gps you got is a very nice gps, only you have to know how it all works.

Edit SD should be nemed microSD here.

Edited by splashy

I got an Oregon 450 for Christmas and am somewhat frustrated. The unit comes with one map that does not have streets on it, only major highways. Being somewhat tech savvy I thought I would download a free map from GPSFileDepot (I think that is what it is called). I found the map I thought I wanted and went through all the hoops to put it on my Oregon 450 only to realize it was not exactly what I wanted. After a very frustrating experience I was able to remove it from my device and decided to pay the $80 USD to buy a map from Garmin hoping this would be much easier. Now as I am trying to load the thing onto my device I get a message saying I don't have enough memory. How much memory comes on the device? How big of a card do I need to use a map? GRRRRRR

You tech savvy guys should lay off the Starbucks and try to focus a little more. To figure out how much memory you have on your 450 all you need to do is plug it in with a USB cable and look at the size on the Windows Explorer window and you should be able to find out the file size of the maps you are loading by viewing the size of the maps in whatever software you are using to put it onto the 450.

FYI, when splashy says SD he means microSD.

Edited by seldom_sn

You tech savvy guys should lay off the Starbucks and try to focus a little more. To figure out how much memory you have on your 450 all you need to do is plug it in with a USB cable and look at the size on the Windows Explorer window and you should be able to find out the file size of the maps you are loading by viewing the size of the maps in whatever software you are using to put it onto the 450.

FYI, when splashy says SD he means microSD.

Did you get it working? I tend to load all of my maps on the MicroSD card. I have been using 8GB cards on all of my Oregons (200, 300, & 450) for three years or so.

Here are a couple of good links:

http://www8.garmin.c...eUsersGuide.pdf

http://garminoregon....spaces.com/Maps

Edited by jeepdelfuego