New maps

team tisri

Yes - it's happened both on my laptop and my main PC. On the main PC, it had an additional sentence of "do not allow this page to generate dialogue boxes again" or some such command, so I clicked the button next to it and OK and it hasn't come back. I've noticed that it only seems to appear when I have the geocaching map up. Maybe that's just coincidence though.

I've not had this issue myself, but someone asked if it might be caused by one of my Greasemonkey scripts, so I did some poking around. It looks like it's being caused by geocaching.com itself, and is some time-related code triggered by leap years, which explains why it's just started today.

Since code comes from geocaching.com, there's not an easy way of avoiding it. On some browsers the "yes" alert may come with a tick box that you can use to stop further alerts, but this will only work until you re-load the page or Groundspeak fix the code properly (which should be trivial!).

For the nerdy, the main maps page downloads a utility script (with a really long address starting http://www.geocaching.com/ScriptResource.axd?d= followed by a string of random characters). This includes a DateTime module containing the offending function:

DateTime.isLeapYear = function (year) {
   if (((year % 4 == 0) && (year % 100 != 0)) || (year % 400 == 0)) {
       alert("yes");
       return true;
   }
   return false;
};

Basically, every time this function runs during a leap year, it pops up "Yes" - it looks like a leftover bit of debugging code. From what I can guess, this will happen every ten minutes, but only for Premium Members (which may be why I've not seen the problem).

That's my guess at the explanation, hopefully there will be a fix along soon...

JRI

I've not had this issue myself, but someone asked if it might be caused by one of my Greasemonkey scripts, so I did some poking around. It looks like it's being caused by geocaching.com itself, and is some time-related code triggered by leap years, which explains why it's just started today.

Since code comes from geocaching.com, there's not an easy way of avoiding it. On some browsers the "yes" alert may come with a tick box that you can use to stop further alerts, but this will only work until you re-load the page or Groundspeak fix the code properly (which should be trivial!).

For the nerdy, the main maps page downloads a utility script (with a really long address starting http://www.geocaching.com/ScriptResource.axd?d= followed by a string of random characters). This includes a DateTime module containing the offending function:

alert("yes");
       return true;
   }
   return false;
};

Basically, every time this function runs during a leap year, it pops up "Yes" - it looks like a leftover bit of debugging code. From what I can guess, this will happen every ten minutes, but only for Premium Members (which may be why I've not seen the problem).

JRI

Thanks for the explanation. I wondered why I was getting "yessed." :)

From what I can guess, this will happen every ten minutes, but only for Premium Members (which may be why I've not seen the problem).

JRI

10 minutes? not here. clicking a cache icon on the map brings it up 30 secs later. this is reproducable

Running chrome for today (using wife's laptop) and got that message, coincidentally right after I sent in an answer for a virtual. For a while, thought "cool, instant notification for virtual answers!" before thinking nah and figured it had something to do with debugging, especially since this is a new year. Didn't think it's leap year related though, thanks for the enlightenment :)

Try this out. I live in Reno,NV. and we had two caches published around 4:50pm today. I looked at both descriptions on maps then opened other windows for other things. After about 20 min. I got a "yes" window then a minute later got another, one of the caches had two found it logs posted. A while later another "yes",one of the cachers logged a DNF at the other new cache.?

Although now I've waited to post this thought and it seems it was just good timing,every 10 min. And yes I'm premium mem.

How 'bout it Groundspeak? Got my ear to the rail.

Hope I don't have to wait four years for a fix!

Yes - it's happened both on my laptop and my main PC. On the main PC, it had an additional sentence of "do not allow this page to generate dialogue boxes again" or some such command, so I clicked the button next to it and OK and it hasn't come back. I've noticed that it only seems to appear when I have the geocaching map up. Maybe that's just coincidence though.

I have been getting the same thing on my screen.

alert("yes");
       return true;
   }
   return false;
};

JRI

I like you explanation the best but if it is going to last all year for premium members maybe I should not renew on Jan 3 as I am suppose to and all other premium members should not renew the subscription and that might get the programmers working a little faster on fixing this problem.

alert("yes");
       return true;
   }
   return false;
};

JRI

I like you explanation the best but if it is going to last all year for premium members maybe I should not renew on Jan 3 as I am suppose to and all other premium members should not renew the subscription and that might get the programmers working a little faster on fixing this problem.

That's the definitive answer as to what is producing the pop window (that's what the alert() function does) and the fix is simple; a GS programmer just needs to remove the alert("yes") line. It would be worth looking at the source code for the maps page to see what is calling the Datetime.isLeapYear function but it sounds like it's in a few places.