Delorme PN40 Projecting Waypoint

baack40

Trying to figure out how to project waypoint on PN40. According to manual you go to waypoints details page ... done go to MENU ....done then Project Waypoint not there. According to manual you go to same area to average waypoint so I tried that and that option is available.

About device version 2.6.224602

Anyone have any help?

Thanks

I believe you will need firmware update 2.8. So if this (below) doesn't work then get 2.8 and try it.

First off you have to have a waypoint or geocache on the unit in order to project it. Assuming that isn't a problem then ...

Click 'Menu' and scroll down to 'waypoints' or 'geocache' and press 'enter'

select one of the waypoints or geocaches from the list and press 'enter'

When the details page comes up, press 'menu' then scroll down to 'Project Geocache' or 'Project Waypoint'

That's it.

Cheers

Panda Inc

Hold on just a minute with upgrading the PN-40 firmware from 2.6 to 2.8 if all that is desired is to be able to project a waypoint. Full compatibility with Delorme Topo7/8 Handheld Export via USB cable will be modified. So unless you are prepared to purchase Topo9 at this time, read up on the changes.

Hold on just a minute with upgrading the PN-40 firmware from 2.6 to 2.8 if all that is desired is to be able to project a waypoint. Full compatibility with Delorme Topo7/8 Handheld Export via USB cable will be modified. So unless you are prepared to purchase Topo9 at this time, read up on the changes.

10-4, if I understand it correctly, the full version of 2.8 includes base maps that are compatible with the detail maps included with Topo NA 9.0. Installation of these 2.8 base maps on a PN-40 along with the Topo USA 7.0 or 8.0 detail maps may result in road routing problems. If you do not use road routing, you may not experience problems and the maps may display as before.

IIRC, there is an abbreviated version of 2.8 which contains the f/w upgrade only, no base map data included. If you do use road routing, this may be the best for you.

I did checkout waypoint projecting on my PN-40, FW 2.8, and it appears OK. I really don't use it so I never really tried it with 2.6, or earlier.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

I have the topo 9.0 installed on the unit. I do use routing rather frequently so don't want to mess that up. I don't think I would use the projection feature too often but just did a multi cache where it sure would have come in handy Had to go 528 ft on a bearing of 280.16 and just couldn't follow the compass at the bearing for that distance. Did not find the cache but I do think I was close to the area but not sure. The other steps to the cache were also so many feet at such and such a bearing but did find those stages. But trying to walk 528 ft and staying at a certain bearing with obstacles so move around was just a bit much for me to accomplish. So came home to read up on the abilites of the PN and discovered that what the manual said didn't seem to be there. So I figured since the manual said it was there I must be doing something wrong. (AS I usually am) Definitely not a techy. I hate the thought of having to load new firmware as I had to do once before with this one and lost all info and had to reload all the caches I had loaded. I am not too thrilled with the luck I have had with this Delorme but its probably me and my lack of knowledge about the technicals.

Thanks all for responding and think it must need a firmware upgrade to do projection.

Will pass on that cache I guess and avoid all others that you have to project waypoints.

I do not believe that there is a "project a waypoint" feature with the v 2.6 FW.

There are two things you can try if you are in the field with your PN-40.

Go to the map page and scroll to a point, 528 feet (0.10 mile) and 280 degrees, then push the pin button on the bottom, and save the waypoint, then route/navigate to it.

The other is to set a waypoint where you are, route/navigate to it, and then travel toward 280 degrees. Look at your distance when it gets to 528 feet, and your bearing when it gets to 100 degrees (reciprocal bearing of 280+180-360=100)

Things to consider: know if you are using true or magnetic north reference (according to the cache instructions.) The bearing in the GPSr is in round degress, no fractions. These methods will get you close, but not as close as an actual calculated projecting of a waypoint. You can also use a map program or Google Earth to get the coordinates of the bearing and direction.

I have the topo 9.0 installed on the unit. I do use routing rather frequently so don't want to mess that up.

If you mean that you have Topo9 installed on a Windows PC, then by all means upgrade the PN-40 to the latest firmware, which is now PN-40 2.9. An upgrade should have been initiated automatically by Topo9 when you plugged in the PN-40 via USB in Topo9 Handheld Export Synch mode.

If you do have Topo9 on the computer, but the automatic upgrade did not occur, then go to Delorme.com support page to find the manually installed 2.9 firmware upgrade.

But once again, PN-40 users who do not have Delorme Topo9 should do their homework before upgrading past the PN-40 2.6 firmware for compatibility reasons.

Edit: IMHO Delorme Topo9 is preferable to previous versions in almost every respect, including geocaching synching convenience between a PN-40 and a PC with Windows OS, map clarity on device, and newer POI support.

Edited by 39_Steps

L sure wish I knew much more about the technical aspects of this gps. The Topo Maps that came with the unit was the Topo 9 version. Do not know anything about setting symc etc. Will check into all of this after our vacation trip. Don't want to take a chance on messing up the unit and not being able to use if on our trip.

Will try the procedure later. Thanks for all the hints and suggestions.

Edited by baack40

L sure wish I knew much more about the technical aspects of this gps. The Topo Maps that came with the unit was the Topo 9 version. Do not know anything about setting symc etc. Will check into all of this after our vacation trip. Don't want to take a chance on messing up the unit and not being able to use if on our trip.

baack40, I have posted the least error prone, easiest, minimal effort, method to update your firmware to 2.8 over here:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=27612&p=195989#p195989

baack40, I have posted the least error prone, easiest, minimal effort, method to update your firmware to 2.8 over here:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=27612&p=195989#p195989

Thanks, this should help tremendously. Like I said since I am such a wimp when it come to technology, I will wait until after my trip to try this procedure. I sure appreciate the instructions tho. It seems easy enough.

I just had to delete maps from the unit to add maps for the direction I am going and that was pretty scary for me. LOL I wish I knew someone close that could do all this for me but... I don't. Hope its not true that you can't teach an old dog new tricks because then I am in trouble. LOL

The procedure you outlined for me seems easy enough tho and I have been doing a lot of reading up on the subject and hopefully when I go to do it, it will make more sense to me then, I am just so afraid of really messing things up on the unit and not be able to use it.

Thanks again,