Need a GPS

Hi! i'm new to geocaching and have no clue what handheld GPS to buy... I Want to do local geocaches and some that require hiking/camping. Which GPS should I buy? Please help me out :D! Also one that easily works worldwide..

If you've got a smartphone use that for a while to make sure you're happy with geocaching before you go and drop a wad of cash on something. It would be a shame to drop your $400+ on a shiny new GPS only to find after three months that you didn't really like geocaching all that much and your unit sat unloved in a drawer until you sold it at a big loss.

If you've got a smartphone use that for a while to make sure you're happy with geocaching before you go and drop a wad of cash on something. It would be a shame to drop your $400+ on a shiny new GPS only to find after three months that you didn't really like geocaching all that much and your unit sat unloved in a drawer until you sold it at a big loss.

I agree with finding geocaches first before committing to a handheld GPS.....

However..... when a smart phone costs more than a GPS, you're better off keeping the phone in the car and using a GPS ( they're meant to be used outdoors).

Buying an inexpensive unit may inhibit the ability to enjoy the hobby fully if the unit lacks certain features.

If you buy a more expensive unit and let it sit....of course it won't be worth as much years later. This could be good for someone looking to get a $400 unit for half the price if they shop for used GPS's (although, older units also lack certain capabilities)

We bought a cheaper unit and hated it after 1 week of usage. We sold it immediately for about the same price we paid for it.

If you've got the $$ - get a nice unit. Having a 3 axis compass makes for a better geocaching experience. Also, make sure you can input 'next stage' for multi caches.

I agree with finding geocaches first before committing to a handheld GPS.....

However..... when a smart phone costs more than a GPS, you're better off keeping the phone in the car and using a GPS ( they're meant to be used outdoors).

Phones are meant to be used outdoors as well, they just aren't designed to withstand knocks and torrential rain the way a handheld GPS is. I'd be surprised if a new geocacher was out hunting in torrential rain and banging their phone against rocks. In all the time I used my 60CSx the only time I caught the screen on a rock was when I was hiking and wasn't geocaching at all.

Buying an inexpensive unit may inhibit the ability to enjoy the hobby fully if the unit lacks certain features.

Agreed, I sometimes wonder how I managed with my old Geko 201 but managed to find a lot of caches with it.

If you buy a more expensive unit and let it sit....of course it won't be worth as much years later. This could be good for someone looking to get a $400 unit for half the price if they shop for used GPS's (although, older units also lack certain capabilities)

Which is my point - if the OP has a device they can use to test the water they are less likely to spend a lot of cash and end up badly out of pocket if they decide geocaching isn't for them.

We bought a cheaper unit and hated it after 1 week of usage. We sold it immediately for about the same price we paid for it.

I'd say you were lucky, unless you bought it used and resold it without taking a loss. Buying a used unit makes sense for anyone willing to take the chance of being sold a pup.

If you've got the $$ - get a nice unit. Having a 3 axis compass makes for a better geocaching experience. Also, make sure you can input 'next stage' for multi caches.

Agreed, although still subject to not rushing out and burning lots of cash before figuring whether it's going to be wasted. 3-axis is very nice, when I used a 60CSx mounted to my handlebars it got very frustrating when I had to keep taking the unit off the bike just to get a compass bearing with it.

Not being able to enter the next stage of a multi would get frustrating but even then I'd suggest putting up with a little frustration rather than rushing out and dropping a wad of cash to overcome a frustration, only to decide in three months that geocaching isn't fun any more and having an expensive unit that doesn't get used any more.

If you can afford it get the nicest one available. I bought a PN-40 two years ago and used it for a month or two then put it away. I came back to the hobby last month and still have a very capable and accurate unit. If I had bought a lesser unit.....that's all I'd still have.

I also have an iPhone 4 with the GC app but don't like navigating/hiking to the hide with it. I much prefer the GPSr for this. The iPhone is great for locating the "area" while in the car and for all the info the app contains but since it depends on the internet connection so much I find it a chore while out in the field.

I should add the fact that I HAVE BEEN Geocaching. But it's time I get my own unit. Thanks for all the posts so far!

If you're ready to drop $400 or more then you could be looking at a high end Oregon or maybe an entry level Montana. I paid $560 for my Montana 650. Take a look at the units and see what you like - personally I ruled out the Oregon when I found that even the fluorescent lighting in the shop left me unable to read the screen.

If you prefer a device controlled with buttons rather than a touchscreen take a look at the 62s.

Of course there are makers other than Garmin, it's just that I have no experience of their products at all so can't comment if they are any good or not.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the versions that come with detailed maps, you can either get the maps separately and load them, or use one of the many places that provide free maps. If you don't get on with the free maps (some do, some don't) then you haven't wasted your money on them and you can buy the maps that suit you best. If you're in Vermont and don't travel very far you'll probably find a 1:24000 map of the northeast far more useful than a 1:100000 map of the entire US mainland.

Edited by team tisri

If you prefer a device controlled with buttons rather than a touchscreen take a look at the 62s.

Definitely look at them in a shop, but consider the Etrex 30 too. AFAIK it has all the functions of my 62s except the display sequence only cycles back, not back and forward. And it's 4 ounces lighter than the 62s. Of course, the screen is smaller, so you can't fit as many data fields on the screen. But it lists at 300 USD, and light is good!

Edited by seldom_sn

Definitely look at them in a shop, but consider the Etrex 30 too. AFAIK it has all the functions of my 62s except the display sequence only cycles back, not back and forward. And it's 4 ounces lighter than the 62s. Of course, the screen is smaller, so you can't fit as many data fields on the screen. But it lists at 300 USD, and light is good!

you get an Oregon 450 for that price, and even cheaper

Yes..... but you missed the bit about "if you prefer a device controlled with buttons rather than a touchscreen".

An Oregon 450 LISTs at 400 USD, and its two ounces heavier. If you are going any distance every ounce counts.