Another dog

drsolly

(and would they come if you did - close control according to the law)?

Have a look at the posters profile, I think that will answer this question for you!

Other than that I'm confused as to what you are trying to say.

You asked whether they would come if they were called, if it's a trained assistance dog then the answer to your question is "Yes".

Right, and I answered

So I am to take from this that the person who grabbed her dogs by the collar and neck is the kind of person that would grab a working dog regardless? Surely if that's the case then that person should not even be allowed to be near children (regardless of how scared of dogs they are) as he is clearly unstable

Although I haven't met the current Geodog, Wendy's previous assistance dog Caesar was the gentlest and best behaved dog I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I have no doubt at all her current companion is similarly behaved.

Would you feel the same if it had been a blind person with a guide dog? I only looked in on this forum today after my first geocaching trip for many months and I was saddened to find the same old whingeing and moaning that drove me away before.

Wendy, ignore the moaners, you know how wonderful your dog is, don't let them spoil it for you.

I've never met Wendy or her dogs and have nothing against either of them (or, in fact, the thousands of other dog owners in this country) and I do believe that my own post (quoted above) states that the guy who grabbed her dogs must be a nutter who shouldn't be out in public - now I'm pretty sure I don't need to explain to anyone that that is not actually moaning - and that a guide dog, as a highly trained animal, would not constitue a threat to anyone (which circles back to the point of dog grabbing nutjob who should be in a padded cell).

Interestingly, a similar scenario happened to me just today.

I had finished signing the cache, and ladysolly was walking along the public footpath a couple of hundred yards away, and I was walking to catch up with her. Suddenly, she stopped, and I could see a dog barking at her and making those rushes and jumps at her that they make. Then along came another dog, and did the same thing. By the time I caught up with her (she was still standing stock still, and she looked really scared) the dogs were in full flood.

Then the owner came along, and tried to call the dogs off. The dogs totally ignored her. And they continued to terrorise ladysolly by making those barking/jumping/rushes at her. The owner continued to call, with no effect, and made no attempt to get hold of the dogs.

So now I've caught up, and I'm near to ladysolly, and the dogs are still ignoring their owner (who now says "They won't bite", a statement which I don't fully trust, in view of her inability to control her dogs) and the dogs are still kicking off.

And here's my question.

What do you think I should have done at that point? Answers that occurs to me are:

1) Nothing

2) Defend ladysolly, if necessary with my boots and/or walking pole

3) Grab hold of the dogs, as per Dorsetgal's anecdote

4) Some other action, please suggest what

This isn't a dog-bashing thread, it's a thread about what we non-dog-owners should do when confronted by aggressive, out-of-control dogs. I'm hoping that people who understand dogs will be able to make constructive suggestions, and not just (as often happens) blame the innocent victim of the dogs' aggression.

1) Nothing

1. Possibly, if you don't think there's any real probability of a 'real' attack then there's no need do anything.

2. Possibly, if you think there is a risk of attack then do get them before they get you.

3. No, that's potentially just offering your arm to the dog to chew on.

4. run up to the owner with clenched fists, stick your face right into their face while screaming at the top of your voice, meanwhile Lady Solly should consople them with the following phrase "It's OK he's just being frendly, he's never hit anyone so there's nothign to be scared of, hes a big softie really"

Interestingly, a similar scenario happened to me just today.

I had finished signing the cache, and ladysolly was walking along the public footpath a couple of hundred yards away, and I was walking to catch up with her. Suddenly, she stopped, and I could see a dog barking at her and making those rushes and jumps at her that they make. Then along came another dog, and did the same thing. By the time I caught up with her (she was still standing stock still, and she looked really scared) the dogs were in full flood.

Then the owner came along, and tried to call the dogs off. The dogs totally ignored her. And they continued to terrorise ladysolly by making those barking/jumping/rushes at her. The owner continued to call, with no effect, and made no attempt to get hold of the dogs.

So now I've caught up, and I'm near to ladysolly, and the dogs are still ignoring their owner (who now says "They won't bite", a statement which I don't fully trust, in view of her inability to control her dogs) and the dogs are still kicking off.

And here's my question.

What do you think I should have done at that point? Answers that occurs to me are:

1) Nothing

This isn't a dog-bashing thread, it's a thread about what we non-dog-owners should do when confronted by aggressive, out-of-control dogs. I'm hoping that people who understand dogs will be able to make constructive suggestions, and not just (as often happens) blame the innocent victim of the dogs' aggression.

Just because a dog barks and jumps at you doesn't mean that it will bite you. Have you ever thought about doing volunteer work at your local cat and dog shelter? Working with dogs which have different temperaments may give you more confidence with strange dogs and help get you over your initial fear of them.

Just because a dog barks and jumps at you doesn't mean that it will bite you. Have you ever thought about doing volunteer work at your local cat and dog shelter? Working with dogs which have different temperaments may give you more confidence with strange dogs and help get you over your initial fear of them.

Yes, I know that a dog that acts aggressively might not bite. And I also know, from personal experience, that a dog that doesn't act aggressively, can come up behind you while you're standing on a public bridleway and bite you in the calf, leading to a trip to hospital for disinfecting, anti-tetanus and antibiotics, and a leg that is painful for several weeks. And the owner explains "He's never done that before".

I think you missed the main point of my posting. It wasn't that I was afraid of the dogs, it was that ladysolly was afraid, and I had to make a decision about what to do about it. I'm not at all afraid of dogs; I'm a lot bigger than a dog, and I have boots and my walking pole should I need to defend myself. I am, of course, cautious with strange dogs, especially strange dogs that start off our relationship with threats and aggression. And I really really don't want to hurt a dog, unless I'm forced to.

I like your suggestion of doing volunteer work at a local cat and dog shelter, but 1) I'd prefer to spend that time caching, and 2) that isn't going to reduce the number of times that dogs act aggressively towards ladysolly.

Yes, I know that a dog that acts aggressively might not bite. And I also know, from personal experience, that a dog that doesn't act aggressively, can come up behind you while you're standing on a public bridleway and bite you in the calf, leading to a trip to hospital for disinfecting, anti-tetanus and antibiotics, and a leg that is painful for several weeks. And the owner explains "He's never done that before".

I think you missed the main point of my posting. It wasn't that I was afraid of the dogs, it was that ladysolly was afraid, and I had to make a decision about what to do about it. I'm not at all afraid of dogs; I'm a lot bigger than a dog, and I have boots and my walking pole should I need to defend myself. I am, of course, cautious with strange dogs, especially strange dogs that start off our relationship with threats and aggression. And I really really don't want to hurt a dog, unless I'm forced to.

I like your suggestion of doing volunteer work at a local cat and dog shelter, but 1) I'd prefer to spend that time caching, and 2) that isn't going to reduce the number of times that dogs act aggressively towards ladysolly.

Dogs just mustn't like you guys. I guess you'll just have to get used to it :(

4. Mobile phone?

Video the dog and owner. Should the worst happen, you have evidence.

And if it doesn't happen, you still have evidence to report to the police.

I also like the option:

4. run up to the owner with clenched fists, stick your face right into their face while screaming at the top of your voice, meanwhile Lady Solly should console them with the following phrase "It's OK he's just being friendly, he's never hit anyone so there's nothing to be scared of, he's a big softie really"
:laughing:

I don't usually have a problem with dogs, but do get annoyed when they jump up and put muddy paw prints on my trousers... <_<

What do you think I should have done at that point?

Some background: Grown up with dogs, owned many. Current have four german shepherds. (I only take one of two out at a time to prevent pack instinct - not good with big dogs. The other two stay at home and exercise in my own fields). As has been noted, sadly many dog owners aren't very polite, understanding and many don't have control of their dogs. As a breed, dog owners do tend to be quite selfish, but the "Don't worry, they won't bite" is generally meant as a genuine reassurance but drsolly, you're right not to trust an owner's belief totally!

When faced with what you describe, some things to try. There is no one right answer as all dogs are individuals, but they aren't as bright as us so use your brains!

Stand still and face them.

If they stop some way off and are barking and being threatening, you'll probably be ok. Wait for the owner to appear. If owner doesn't appear, could try going forward or backwards, watching how they react. Don't turn your back though, unless you're sure they're safe.

If they get close, use your loudest, most stern voice. "BAD DOG! OFF! SIT! STAY! LIE DOWN! GO AWAY!" (Not all at once). Probably most dogs will be at least unsettled by this and some may even do what you instruct! (Even works for french dogs, I've found! Tone is everything). If that doesn't work, stamp your foot, wave your arms, make yourself large and formidable.

If they get threatening, growling, walking stiff legged, hackles up - things are looking bad. I speak as an animal lover here, but if a human is at risk of being attacked, do whatever you can to protect yourself. A stick across the muzzle could work, but a fighting dog is a vicious and single minded creature. I've seen what a bull terrier can do, it's not nice. Gladly, most dogs have respect for people and won't cross that line. I have separated dogs from other dogs in a few ways - lifting the back legs and walking away, twisting, but the only method that hasn't failed for me yet is to compress the windpipe enough to stop air - the aggressor will release their bite after a few seconds. Once by twisting the collar with a stick. Once by standing on the dog's throat. (In that case, she had already badly torn the throat of the other dog)

Some larger dogs may take direct eye contact as a challenge, but not generally (in my experience anyway) if not on their territory. If you are (footpath across a farm perhaps), try shifting your eyes and using softer body language to reduce threat. (Turn away at 45 degrees so you're not directly facing them, slope shoulders, droop head)

But dogs mostly respect strength and confidence. Same with cattle, really. Turn and run and it's going to get worse.

Appreciate you asking for info, drsolly. The above sounds pretty grim and you're probably wondering why we keep dogs at all. The above is all the negative, I'd need several pages to explain the positives of dog ownership!

Well I have expressed my strong opinion that the owners should be responsible but the reality is that there are irresponsible owners out there. So how best to live with it? Again, I don't claim to be any expert but I can comment on how I try to deal with 'doggie situations'.

1. Be aware. Look ahead. Be conscious of what might be a problem. If a problem seems possible then take avoiding action as early as possible if you can.

2. If a problem has not been avoided... keep your hands out of it!!! Sticks, boots, whatever - won't really stop it.... that doggie can be quick and if the adrenalin (I'm assuming the dogs have that) is running then a bite will be delivered very quickly and very instinctively. So don't offer any targets. Dog bites are no fun.

3. Don't act scared. Ok, if you don't like dogs this may not be easy. Even if you are generally ok with dogs, meeting up with a particularly aggressive dog on his home territory can be quite intimidating. But the point I want to make here is that dogs have a strong sense of smell and it is a sense they use a lot. So to my way of thinking, two problems can arise: fear of the dog(s) gets communicated to the dog very easily by smell and it reacts with a need to feel, demonstrate or seek superiority. At best a stand-off (bark-off or similar) arises. This then is reinforced by bodily action, for example, the human standing still gives the impression to the dog that it has superiority so it continues its aggressive action.

My instinct in such a situation is to try and remain calm; to continue to progress along my route confidently; to ignore the dog if possible (or at least give the dog the impression it is being ignored); if neccessary, talk quietly to the dog (in nonsensical 'conversation' if appropriate) to reassure it that I am the boss not it; then get through the next gate as quickly and calmly as possible before the dog realises it has been hoodwinked (if it ever does!).

Of course at the moment I find that harder to do as I will be out walking with my partner and our 5 and 4 year old and none of the three of them has yet become comfortable with dogs they meet on country walks. So I can find myself striding ahead only to have to retrace my steps when I hear a barking dog and I find that the rest of my tribe has ground to a halt! Oh well, fortunately most dogs we meet are quite amenable even if sometimes they can seem to be over-friendly.

My instinct in such a situation is to try and remain calm; to continue to progress along my route confidently; to ignore the dog if possible (or at least give the dog the impression it is being ignored); if neccessary, talk quietly to the dog (in nonsensical 'conversation' if appropriate) to reassure it that I am the boss not it;

Actually this is what I do. If a dog approaches me I carry on doing what I was doing, so if I was stood still I stay stood still, if I was walking I keep walking at the same pace in the same direction. I always speak to the dog in a friendly voice before it gets to me, usually something along the lines of "hello, what's your name then". I don't mind them having a good sniff, I don't particularly like them putting their paws up at me but that's only happened once or twice that I can remember and I just encouraged them to stop doing it; I've never had an aggressive encounter with a dog**.

** not quite true, when I was at school I used to walk past a house which had a Jack Russell, which would always run to the garden gate and bark at me; on occasions I would stand at the gate barking back at it :blink: , but it couldn't get out of the garden as the 3' high wall was too high for it (it was only about 8" high); one day our normal encounter ensued when it suddenly ran off, "Victory" thought I, but it ran through a hole in the hedge to the next door garden and out of their gate, it then had me marooned on top of the wall while it had a real go at me - I suppose I deserved it!

My instinct in such a situation is to try and remain calm; to continue to progress along my route confidently; to ignore the dog if possible (or at least give the dog the impression it is being ignored); if neccessary, talk quietly to the dog (in nonsensical 'conversation' if appropriate) to reassure it that I am the boss not it;

Actually this is what I do. If a dog approaches me I carry on doing what I was doing, so if I was stood still I stay stood still, if I was walking I keep walking at the same pace in the same direction. I always speak to the dog in a friendly voice before it gets to me, usually something along the lines of "hello, what's your name then". I don't mind them having a good sniff, I don't particularly like them putting their paws up at me but that's only happened once or twice that I can remember and I just encouraged them to stop doing it; I've never had an aggressive encounter with a dog**.

This is what I do too, and it's nice to encounter such dogs along a walk. I have also encountered dogs who have done more than just sniff, run in circles, give a friendly yap or questioning whimper and wag their tail. If they are a bit over zealous with being friendly and jump up, it can be a bit annoying if they get clothes muddy (I once had a brand new pair of best trousers snagged by a dog while out on a Christmas walk in this way) but that's still not too bad, and I just carry on with my walk. When they are baying for blood, jumping up and snapping their jaws hard while keeping up fierce roaring growls and course snarls, drooling, aiming for my neck and face, have their hackles up, bulging eyes, and I am clearly the only thing on their mind, it is a bit much when the owner is not willing or able to control them, or just walks off! Twice this has happened on the dog's territory and I was able to retreat, but the first time it shocked me so much I froze. I remember thinking, 'so this is what they mean by the phrase petrified by fear'. There was no way I could have carried on with a cheery 'hello, what's your name then?' as whatever I said, in any tone of voice, it reacted even more aggressively. If I'd tried to carry on walking, I am convinced he would have bitten me, and gone for the kill.

I wish I'd had someone there for me, and I'm sure ladysolly was glad you were with her, Drsolly. What to do? I would say either stand alongside her, or stand back and film it all, whichever she would prefer. Tell the dog owner clearly to come and get her dogs on leads and move them off the path as they are obstructing your progress. Of course your instinct is to act on ladysolly's behalf but in my mind that could be harder for her in the long run. If the owner doesn't move to get her dogs on leads and the dogs are still being aggressive, I'd get some information, such as the owner's name and where they're from and take some photos. Assuming you're not on the dog owner's land, tell her again that her dogs are blocking a public right of way and they have one more chance to move them or you'll report them to the dog warden as well as being forced to take action so you and your wife can continue on the path. With all of that going on, there is enough time for the owner to regain their presence of mind, act accordingly and take control of the situation. Otherwise, text the warden with the information and the pictures. I can't see how you can make progress along the path without seriously hurting the dogs unless the dog owner moves them. I suppose if they are not too big, you could take them both by the collar and pull them over to her to hold. (Just to add - this is if they are out of control and you cannot get past them or retreat.)

What did you do?

Edited by Fianccetto

Some good suggestions there folks, thanks (I know they're meant for the good Dr but I have a lot of problems with dogs too).

I should explain that I like dogs, they just don't seem to like me. I even take the wifes dog for long walks, he lives with the in-laws as we're not allowed pets in this house and he's a bit much for the baby at the moment, although I know that I can't control him fully so keep him on a lead.

What did you do?

Doing nothing was not, I thought, an option; I'm bigger and stronger than she is, and better able to deal with aggressive dogs. If I'd done nothing, I would have been given major earache later.

I stood next to her for a half minute, holding my walking pole and ready to use it if necessary. I don't want to hurt a dog, but if attacked, I will defend myself, and defend ladysolly. If that wounds the dog, or worse, then I'm willing to take the legal consequences; it's better than being bitten.

They didn't attack, so we walked on. The dogs continued their aggressive behaviour, the owner continued to call them, they continued to ignore the owner completely. Eventually we were far enough away that I could walk without watching out for an attack.

I would guess that the owner has completely forgotten the episode by now, and possibly blamed the walkers for walking along a public footpath that was close to their house.

I did like the suggestion made by a few people of getting out my phone and videoing the proceedings while explaining that this will be sent to the local dog warden; I consider that this isn't a dog problem, it's a dog owner problem, and it's the dog owners who need to be educated about the right of people to walk along a public footpath without being threatened by their animals. Something like "I'm videoing this, and the video will be sent to the local Dog Warden, who will decide whether your dogs are out of control".

I didn't like the idea of getting hold of the dog's collar; that puts my unprotected hand too close to the sharp end of the dog. If any part of me gets close to the teeth, it's going to be a foot, because I'm wearing stout leather boots, and I'd guess that a good kick would deal with a dog attack.

I also liked the idea of getting up close to the dog owner and shouting threats into their face, but I'm too well trained to do that.

<sigh> Just another dog bashing thread ...

Maybe I should start one about the nutter who grabbed both our dogs, one by the collar and one by the scruff of the neck on NYD. Their crime? According to him, his kids were scared so he grabbed the dogs, as they went past him on a path (not in any way interfering with him or his kids)wrongly believing that might help. Absolute nutter.

No that's just as wrong. Just for a bit of balance (I have related my BAD experiences with dogs on this thread), here's an excerpt from once of my logs from 3 days ago...

"On the way there we also saw a man training his new puppy how to sit and stay (and not jump up at passing strangers) which was heartening and very sweet! I don't mind dogs, but I hate ones which jump up at you, so to see one getting a good grounding at how to behave around people was lovely."

They do get good press too. (Funnily enough this was one the good DrSolly had just been to on the same day- although I've no idea what time. Perhaps he saw it?)

Neither of us were there but clearly he though they were ... and that's enough to be 'out of control' according to the Dangerous Dogs act.

I should say I'm not against dogs, most are well behaved and aren't a problem, it's a small minority of owners who clearly seem to think their dogs have a right to run around wherever they want to with no regard to the impact they have on other people :mad:

According to the 'Dangerous dog act' linky

Keeping dogs under proper control.

(1)If a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place—

(a)the owner; and

(b)if different, the person for the time being in charge of the dog,

is guilty of an offence, or, if the dog while so out of control injures any person, an aggravated offence, under this subsection.

Dangerously being the operative word.

It is not illegal to have your dogs off the lead anywhere, as long as they are not dangerously out of control. If there are signs up, then you may become a trespasser on that area of land.

The offence is for a dog to be 'dangerously out of control' [s.3(1) Dangerous Dogs Act 1991] - and the definition of dangerously out of control is 'any occasion on which there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will injure any person'.

You will therefore see that one dog attacking another dog is not going to constitute an offence - no person is going to be injured.

However, depending on where you live, there may be local byelaws in force in respect to dogs in public places.

There will almost certainly be offences for dogs fouling and there may also be byelaw restrictions stipulating that dogs should be on a lead.

All the above was stated by an officer in the Greater Manchester Police department.

I do understand what you mean when talking about your kids but .... a dog passing on by your children is not a 'dangerously out of control' dog.

Sorry about all the 'red' writing but I just wanted to show you that your statememt:

and that's enough to be 'out of control' according to the Dangerous Dogs act.

Is not quite correct.

I didn't like the idea of getting hold of the dog's collar; that puts my unprotected hand too close to the sharp end of the dog. If any part of me gets close to the teeth, it's going to be a foot, because I'm wearing stout leather boots, and I'd guess that a good kick would deal with a dog attack.

Having read some other posts and putting that suggestion of mine into context here, I can see that wasn't helpful. At least it does highlight why it isn't a good thing to do. On the one hand, if you can get hold of the dog'd collar and move it, it wasn't that dangerous (or it would turn and bite you) and on the other hand, if it is dangerously out of control, grabbing its collar isn't something you want to contemplate doing.

Sorry to other posters about bringing up grabbing collars, it wasn't meant to refer to any other posts - I'd missed some out.

Edited by Fianccetto

The offence is for a dog to be 'dangerously out of control' [s.3(1) Dangerous Dogs Act 1991] - and the definition of dangerously out of control is 'any occasion on which there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will injure any person'.

'any occasion on which there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will injure any person'

"I thought it was going to attack me, officer..."

Edit to add:

A lot of press photographers in a difficult situation, protests, riots etc, will stand near a TV camera crew.

Whilst someone may attempt to 'have a go' at the press photographers, they usually think twice before trying it on with a crew filming them in action..! Makes good evidence in the courts.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Just to add the other side

I was out caching yesterday with my 6 year old and my mums ancient(13) rescue chihuahua jack russel cross

we were nearing GZ and had started looking for the cache when I noticed a dog walking muggle putting his 2 black labs into a down stay and approaching us on his own. I got our dog on it's lead and called out if he was ok.. he was and was checking his dogs and approaching us first so that we weren't worried about his dogs. We had a chat and I let my mums dog off the lead as he is less likely to be snappy and defend us that way, then the man called to his dogs, who came and sniffed us and my mums dog and were lovely. We finished our chat about dogs and training and he moved on, again checking his dogs into a down stay when another dog walker approached from the other direction. All the time his dogs were off the lead, but under his perfect control and were a real pleasure to meet.

Their crime? According to him, his kids were scared so he grabbed the dogs, as they went past him on a path (not in any way interfering with him or his kids)

Neither of us were there but clearly he though they were ... and that's enough to be 'out of control' according to the Dangerous Dogs act.

"A dog shall be regarded as dangerously out of control on any occasion on which there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will injure any person, whether or not it actually does so."

The key part being "reasonable apprehension", now IANAL but I don't think that "my kids are scared of dogs" constitutes a reasonable apprehension that the dog in question will injure any person; therefore I think your assertion that these dogs were out of control according to the Dangerous Dogs act is merely speculation on your part and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't stand up in court M'lud.

Anyone for a glass of Chateau Thames Embankment down Pommeroys?

(and would they come if you did - close control according to the law)?

Have a look at the posters profile, I think that will answer this question for you!

So I am to take from this that the person who grabbed her dogs by the collar and neck is the kind of person that would grab a working dog regardless? Surely if that's the case then that person should not even be allowed to be near children (regardless of how scared of dogs they are) as he is clearly unstable?

Other than that I'm confused as to what you are trying to say.

OK I shall clarify.

It was 4.30pm, pitch dark, neither the man nor his children were carrying a torch or wearing reflective clothing.

It was a community woodland where dogs are allowed to run free.

The children were perhaps 18months and three years, they were not in a buggy and at the time I first saw them, the man had moved perhaps 12-15 feet away from the kids to grab the dogs.

Both dogs are registered assistance dogs, highly trained and routinely checked for temperament etc

I was using a Tramper off road mobility buggy, with lights on.

I am in those woods almost daily, it is often very busy with dog walkers and I would not expect to see babies there after dark. I never have at any mis in the past 11 years.

The first I saw was the man lunging and grabbing at the dogs, he believed (wrongly) they should be on leads, he said his children were scared, i suggested he release the dogs and hold his children instead.

His behaviour was perfect for teaching fear to his children and somewhat foolhardy as had the dogs not been a pair of mild mannered retrievers, he could well have been attacked or at least injured by the dog he scruffed. Then he would have been injured himself and not been able to comfort or remove his children from what he perceived as absolute danger.

This is not the right message to send to children and certainly not, for safety reasons a sensible thing to do to strange dogs.

The dogs were both under close verbal control by myself, they were both on the path, the children we off the path, and neither dog, when released made any attempt to go near the children, in fact they both returned to me without being asked.

I can see the scenario, it was NYD, late afternoon, the kids had probably been cooped up all day and he was asked to take them out for a walk - in the dark with no buggy - he did not strike me as the most experienced parent, after he released the dogs, he had his back to his children, the eldest crying her eyes out and started effing and jeffing at me - he also physically threatened me, at which point I suggested he comfort his children, take them home and tell his wife he'd expanded their vocabulary, or i would call the police.

What sort of responsible father turns their back on crying children to argue, swear and threaten a disabled woman? One who has clearly lost the plot!

It is very sad that there seems to be an air of instant assumption in this forum that the dog or dog owner is immediately in the wrong. I see so many really lovely interactions with dogs, I am aware of countless good dog stories and anecdotes, and I think my new year resolution will be every single time I see a negative dog post, I will post a positive one, experienced while geocaching of course!

<sigh> Just another dog bashing thread ...

Maybe I should start one about the nutter who grabbed both our dogs, one by the collar and one by the scruff of the neck on NYD. Their crime? According to him, his kids were scared so he grabbed the dogs, as they went past him on a path (not in any way interfering with him or his kids)wrongly believing that might help. Absolute nutter.

Maybe YOU should have your dogs more under control. Don't care what frightens my kids, they're far more important than anyones out of control dog (s) :mad:

And I'm certainly not going to wait around just to see if they bite ... I'll act first.

If dog owners don't like it then those that run out of control dogs need to sort out the dogs, not have a go at those of us who have to do it for them.

How dare you assume my dogs were out of control ... jumping to conclusions like that is not only ridiculous, but also says a lot about you as a person.

If every person lunged and grabbed dogs that they thought should be on a lead then I am certain we would see a rise in not only dog to human but human to human attacks.

If you did not understand any part of my post why not simply ask instead of coming all guns blazing, that places you about the same level as the nutter in the woods in my book.

On this occasion the only living thing out of control in the woods was the man who grabbed the dogs. He cause unnecessary distress to his children and if he ever does such a thing again, I shall report him to the police for threatening behaviour and to the social services.

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

If HE was concerned then HE felt they were 'out of control'. HE wasn't to know they were lovely and cuddly and wouldn't harm a flea, or to know that you had them under 'control'. You need to see other peoples point of view ...

Incidentally I didn't say you didn't have them under control ... I said perhaps you should have had them 'more under control' :)

You are assuming he was of sound mind, I think his actions and subsequent threatening behaviour show that not to be the case.