WTB affordable starter unit

BaiKaiLin

I haven't settled on one particular unit that I must have, but I have a list of features that I'd like. I need something affordable (under a hundred dollars). Cosmetic wear and tear is not a big issue for me but the unit should be in good working condition and not have scratches on the screen (or very minimal ones if it does.)

My primary purpose isn't actually geocaching, so the whole paperless geocaching thing isn't hugely important to me. (I may give it a try at some point, but that isn't why I'm buying a gps) I'll be taking my unit to rural Ghana and using it to track where I go. Not so worried about getting lost (I'll typically be with people who can help me with that), but I'd like to keep track of where I go and mark certain locations and then load them onto my computer and overlay them onto a google world type of map.

My wishlist:

**1) a high sensitivity receiver (I'll be visiting some villages with a decent amount of tree cover and would still like the gps to work)

2) either a transflective color screen (or one that can be seen well in sunshine) or a grayscale or black and white screen

3) compatibility with the whole open source map project (I believe that means a unit that is compatible with .gpx files.... correct me if I'm wrong)

4) the ability to store at least 5-10 tracks (more wouldn't hurt), the more reference points along the track the better

5) I'd LIKE a compass that isn't dependent on tracking my movement, but that isn't absolutely necessary

6) I'd prefer a USB interface so I don't have to buy a converter, but I'm willing to use a converter if necessary

I don't want a Magellan Triton. I can't find any decent reviews about them on the internet. I'm open to suggestions about what kind of unit might be a good fit for me. I'm also watching units on ebay, but having trouble knowing what is best.

I haven't settled on one particular unit that I must have, but I have a list of features that I'd like. I need something affordable (under a hundred dollars). Cosmetic wear and tear is not a big issue for me but the unit should be in good working condition and not have scratches on the screen (or very minimal ones if it does.)

My primary purpose isn't actually geocaching, so the whole paperless geocaching thing isn't hugely important to me. (I may give it a try at some point, but that isn't why I'm buying a gps) I'll be taking my unit to rural Ghana and using it to track where I go. Not so worried about getting lost (I'll typically be with people who can help me with that), but I'd like to keep track of where I go and mark certain locations and then load them onto my computer and overlay them onto a google world type of map.

My wishlist:

**1) a high sensitivity receiver (I'll be visiting some villages with a decent amount of tree cover and would still like the gps to work)

2) either a transflective color screen (or one that can be seen well in sunshine) or a grayscale or black and white screen

3) compatibility with the whole open source map project (I believe that means a unit that is compatible with .gpx files.... correct me if I'm wrong)

4) the ability to store at least 5-10 tracks (more wouldn't hurt), the more reference points along the track the better

5) I'd LIKE a compass that isn't dependent on tracking my movement, but that isn't absolutely necessary

6) I'd prefer a USB interface so I don't have to buy a converter, but I'm willing to use a converter if necessary

I don't want a Magellan Triton. I can't find any decent reviews about them on the internet. I'm open to suggestions about what kind of unit might be a good fit for me. I'm also watching units on ebay, but having trouble knowing what is best.

A recomendation from me would be the Garmin 60CSx which you may be able to get a decent second hand unit for your budget

I picked up a Garmin 60csx off craigslist for $150 and even though it's over your limit, it's really one to consider for all you get for features. My old unit a Garmin Legend was a good unit but it didn't have the the USB feature and no electronic compass. If you need those features and are really stuck on your price perhaps a Garmin Vista would be in your range.

Goodluck in your hunting for a GPS and hope this helped.

Edited by SoonerL8R

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I ended up getting a Magellan Explorist 310 from ebay for a bit over what I had said my price point was, but I got more excited about getting a GPS the more I looked at them and read about them. If you've had a bad experience with a 310, please don't tell me here now, because there is no going back for me now. :)

I ended up getting a Magellan Explorist 310 from ebay for a bit over what I had said my price point was, but I got more excited about getting a GPS the more I looked at them and read about them. If you've had a bad experience with a 310, please don't tell me here now, because there is no going back for me now. :)

I just received the Magellan eXplorist 310 as a gift. It is a great GPS, and I have no complaints whatsoever. The map is very good also.

P1623

I just received the Magellan eXplorist 310 as a gift. It is a great GPS, and I have no complaints whatsoever. The map is very good also.

I want to visit a couple of geocaches close to where I live (Fargo, ND) before moving to Ghana in a couple of months. It would be fun to take a trackable from one of the geocaches around here to one of the ones over there. It should be doable because we are having a super mild winter. :)

P1623

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to getting mine in the mail!