Pocket Queries by State/County

Lonewolf

Since many of us do State challenges that require we find caches in all counties, it would be nice to be able to do a pocket query by State/County. Ans also have the county information available on the cache page.

I agree, Lonewolf. Until we get that feature, my "fix" is to pick a center point between a few counties, run a pocket query of 25-30 miles on that, load that PQ into GSAK, do whatever "surgery" might be necessary to get rid of unwanted caches/counties, export that database to a .GPX file, import that .GPX file into Microsoft Streets & Trips and VOILA!!! a really neat map for navigating on the counties hunt. I do all that so I can see a bigger picture than that which my GPS would show me. If you don't have MSS&T, you could do the same with Garmin's MapSource. Using this method, I've divided Ohio into just six or seven sections with anywhere from 3 to 7 counties in a section and maybe 150 to 600 caches in a section. When I'm interested in finding just one cache per county, that gives me a large selection to choose from and I can approach a given county (or counties) from any direction.

my "fix" is to pick a center point between a few counties, run a pocket query of 25-30 miles on that, load that PQ into GSAK, do whatever "surgery" might be necessary to get rid of unwanted caches/counties, export that database to a .GPX file, import that .GPX file into Microsoft Streets & Trips and VOILA!!!

Not sure what you include in your "surgery" but there is a GSAK macro (CountryStateCounty) that I've found very helpful. After loading the PQ in GSAK, I run the macro to update the state and county info for the caches. Then it's a simple matter to sort/filter caches by county. There's also a similar macro for DeLorme pages (MapDelorme) if you want to work on your state's DeLorme challenge while you're collecting counties.