oregon 450 - general poi queston

phlatlander

"When you connect the Oregon to your computer it functions like a USB thumb drive. You can see all the files on the Oregon and manipulate them with Explorer. The Oregon’s software only recognizes two filenames for the data; geocaches.gpx and waypoints.gpx."

Does this mean that if I want to build a poi file of interesting places (not geocaches) I must name the file as above or add the individual points by hand?

This relates to the Nuvi series and the ability to view/process multiple gpx files.

Perhaps my question is not clear. We are planning a trip to Europe next year and I am building a gpx file of interesting places to visit. I have built a small test file of 8 locations and my Nuvi 1350 will display the places on a map and I can "simulate" driving in Prague (for example). Can I do this with an Oregon?

Another example, I have 2 different churches in the file, can I select one and then go from there to the second, perhaps by a route?

Well I played around some more and using an older Poiloader I managed to download the same files as on my Nuvi. I also managed to re-jig the geocaches to (IMHO) better display the geocache data including text attribute descriptions. This is an impressive gps and does a lot more than paperless geocaching.

oregon.jpg

Perhaps my question is not clear. We are planning a trip to Europe next year and I am building a gpx file of interesting places to visit. I have built a small test file of 8 locations and my Nuvi 1350 will display the places on a map and I can "simulate" driving in Prague (for example). Can I do this with an Oregon?

Another example, I have 2 different churches in the file, can I select one and then go from there to the second, perhaps by a route?

The answer is yes. But you can also load them as Custom POIs. If you place the gpx on the GPS, you can delete the waypoints. Custom POIs cannot be deleted (they have to be reloaded without the ones you no longer want) but you can have categories of POIs which is a big help if you have lots of them.

Are you loading your caches as custom POIs????? The screenshots make it appear you are. Why would you do that instead of using the built in paperless caching?

I also make the text bigger, use colours to highlight certain items, and most importantly for me, cache attributes in text. If you want to geocache in Winnipeg in the winter, a WINTER FRIENDLY attribute is almost mandatory.

Having spent some time and effort with GSAK, I have been able to use a Nuvi 1350 for "paperless" geocaching for some time. My reason for acquiring an Oregon is mostly battery life. A Nuvi is only good for 2 hours or less away from the car 12v charging system unit so charging the battery can be problematic - as opposed to carrying Eneloop spares. Thanks for the feedback so far - so much to learn.

Interesting.....

Have you attempted to find geocaches (on the Oregon 450) with them loaded as POI's ?

How does that compare to normal operation of geocaching with the 450?

How many POI's can you put in the Oregon (when empty)?

I know it has a limit of 5,000 geocaches during normal operation......

We have a Nuvi that's loaded with POI's (using GSAK/tourguide/macro)and it'll hold a lot more than 5,000 geocaches in it. We only use this to get us within parking distance.

Just curious how this similar idea fits into the Oregon.

Edited by Lieblweb

I am using a "borrowed" 450 and have not used it to find a geocache as a POI, but the screens look the same as for "normal" geocaches. It seems that in addition to the many functions of the 450, it will do all of the things a Nuvi will do (minus Voice directions and perhaps a simulation mode). I have just downloaded several csv files for all the BBQs and A&Ws complete with descriptions so all in all it is a very complete and useful unit. Funny thing is I simply use the download methods I use for the Nuvi 1350 and voila! Very impressive!

Making poi's of landmarks has no sense if you're either using Garmin maps or OpenStreetMap ****, because most of the landmarks and more are on these maps.

In Europe you can use OSM for free, maps are nearly as good as paid garmin maps, sometimes even better.

Edited by splashy

Making poi's of landmarks has no sense if you're either using Garmin maps or OpenStreetMap ****, because most of the landmarks and more are on these maps.

In Europe you can use OSM for free, maps are nearly as good as paid garmin maps, sometimes even better.

Perhaps, but I can add notes, phone numbers, add an image, plan a route, pretty much view what we want to see by customizing gpx pois. I do quite a bit of research before we travel because as senior citizens we can't do day long tours etc. anymore so we prefer to go and see a couple of places we have researched rather than check out a map landmark. As they say in French, "chacun a son gout" (to each his own).

I very seldom use the installed pois on my Nuvi.