DECLINED - [FEATURE] Watch lists

desert dawg

@Moun10Bike

I can see your point. Still, just out of curiosity, how do you explain that you do not show who is watching a cache but you do show who granted it favourite points? (And I sure hope me asking the question will lead to the donors of favourite points no longer being shown :-)

@Moun10Bike

I can see your point. Still, just out of curiosity, how do you explain that you do not show who is watching a cache but you do show who granted it favourite points? (And I sure hope me asking the question will lead to the donors of favourite points no longer being shown :-)

I find the Favorite Points info very important to the community and not likely to get abused. I check the Favorite list to see who has similar tastes to mine. Then I check to see what other caches they Favored. I'm more likely to also enjoy the caching experience.

Knowing who's watching a cache could result in abuse. Example: the CO accuses the person watching their cache of taking the cache if it goes missing. Or the CO emails the watcher asking why they are watching the cache.

What would be the positive aspect of knowing who's watching your cache? What would you do with that information?

What about audit logs on premumum caches? CO can see who visited, first date visited, last date visited and how many visits a cacher has made to his listing? and a big blue link to the visiting cachers profile... how can watch lists be a privacy issue and not audit logs? Someone could ask a cacher why he had visited his cache listing XX amount of times?

Edited by Desert Dawg

What about audit logs on premumum caches? CO can see who visited, first date visited, last date visited and how many visits a cacher has made to his listing? and a big blue link to the visiting cachers profile... how can watch lists be a privacy issue and not audit logs? Someone could ask a cacher why he had visited his cache listing XX amount of times?

Personally, I'm not crazy about the PM audit list thing either. If it bothers me enough I could boycott PM caches. If the watch list ever became public then I'd like it to be public to everyone (like the Favorite List).

This request comes up often and I still don't understand why people want to know who's watching? (I'm also a CO, been planting caches for 10 years).

gee, don't remove the audit log feature.. its a great premimum member perk... I have been planting caches for over 10 years and have had no privacy issues complaints to date.. <<< thank you >>>

So what you're trying to say is you want to know who's continuously watching your hides AND see who's sporadicaly glancing at them?

I've asked "what's the difference" for some time now.

The audit function is the only thing I personally would like to see gone.

- Well, I'm not too fond of challenges either, but that's off-topic. :D

gee, don't remove the audit log feature.. its a great premimum member perk... I have been planting caches for over 10 years and have had no privacy issues complaints to date.. <<< thank you >>>

So what you're trying to say is you want to know who's continuously watching your hides AND see who's sporadicaly glancing at them?

I've asked "what's the difference" for some time now.

The audit function is the only thing I personally would like to see gone.

- Well, I'm not too fond of challenges either, but that's off-topic. :D

I'm not trying to say anything but what I say.. But YES, enjoy the game and I do want it all.

I think privacy issues are generating way to restrictive rules. Just where will it all end?

If this issue is really a problem, may I suggest Groundspeak place a checkbox on members profile page, something like the situation on friend requests, so a cacher can "opt out" of having his GC handle show on these various lists. I would like to see the defalt as "your in".. Unless you check the opt out box.. just an idea. ~ thanks you ..

Well bummer. This thread answers my question. I just had an event cache approved. There is 1 will attend log. There are 4 watchers. I wanted to know who was watching.

How can knowing a geocaching name of who is watching a cache be an inasion of privacy? What I am going to find out about a cacher by knowing that name that I couldn't find out by just looking at one of that cacher's logs or going to their profile page? There wouldn't be any additional information that that isn't already publicly available to anyone that hits the GC site. Am I missing something?

There was a suggestion in another Watch thread to remove the line that says how many people are watching the cache. I'm highly in favor of removing the "xx people are watching this cache" number so it doesn't drive some COs so crazy. And I'm going to be extra cautious about PMO caches from now on. If I get the feeling that the CO only placed the PM status on his cache for the audit log I'm going to ignore those cache hides. It weirds me out.

Edited by Solitario R

I'm highly in favor of removing the "xx people are watching this cache" number

That's a great idea. It isn't relevant, as you can create a bookmark list which accomplishes the watch function without incrementing that number.

If I get the feeling that the CO only placed the PM status on his cache for the audit log I'm going to ignore those cache hides.

You don't have to ignore them; it is more fun to torment those COs and illustrate the pointlessness of the audit log by using GSAK and PQs to get the cache info, then log them using the direct-to-log URL bypass method.

It weirds me out.

Me too.

I'm highly in favor of removing the "xx people are watching this cache" number

That's a great idea. It isn't relevant, as you can create a bookmark list which accomplishes the watch function without incrementing that number.

If I get the feeling that the CO only placed the PM status on his cache for the audit log I'm going to ignore those cache hides.

You don't have to ignore them; it is more fun to torment those COs and illustrate the pointlessness of the audit log by using GSAK and PQs to get the cache info, then log them using the direct-to-log URL bypass method.

It weirds me out.

Me too.

This started out as a simple question"why is it a privacy issue to view who is watching your cache and not a privacy issue to have an audit log" it seems to have degenerated into something else. I personally agree with desert dawg and would like to see who is watching my caches. It's really nothing more than plain old curiosity.

Or just repeatedly and regularly visit the page over a long period of time. That'll really confuse and irritate them!

My intention of wanting to know has absolutely noting to do with auditing logs. I think that's a waste of time. I don't always sign my full name but just put initials. Some times I'm out with a group and we use a group name for the day. And what are you going to do when someone replaces your log because it was totally soaked or full, delete my find because you didn't see my name?

I would want to know who is watching for a couple of reasons:

1. Are you stuck on the same puzzle cache as me? Maybe we can compare notes.

2. Are you stuck on the same traditional cache as me? Let's compare where we looked. Maybe we could go look together.

3. For a reason I decided I shouldn't post because it might give people bad ideas, and it isn't a reason I've had yet.

I thought it odd that I have a flash mob with 4 watchers and 1 attending. Maybe those 3 are on the fence depending on who says they're going? Nah, I don't want in the middle of that mess. For this reason, maybe only the CO should be able to see who is watching an event.