UTM and seeking caches

AZ herp girl

quote:
Originally posted by AZ herp girl:

Is there a way that the "hide and seek a cache" page on geocaching could include looking up caches by UTMs? Its just kinda confusing, especially for a neophyte cacher like myself, convert Lat/Lon to UTMs everytime I want to go somewhere and hunt a cache.

It's like metric. Don't convert...

You can also do it by zip code.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:

Is there a way that the "hide and seek a cache" page on geocaching could include looking up caches by UTMs? Its just kinda confusing, especially for a neophyte cacher like myself, convert Lat/Lon to UTMs everytime I want to go somewhere and hunt a cache.

Is there a reason you really really really want to work with UTM? Seems to me that it would be easier to set your GPSr to Hddd mm.mmm and be done with it.

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

I'm not sure how to find a zip code for some of the areas I want to cache. For example, I'm going to penasco canyon AZ this weekend and I wanted to see if there were any caches I could pick up on the way. I can get on TOPOZone.com and get the UTM for the area, but it doesn't give lat/lon coords. I'm a newbie at this anyway, and I totally admit that I do not understand all the finer points of GPS technology, or probably even a lot of the basics. I just figured having a way to search by UTM (the system I kinda sorta understand how to use) would make it easier to keep caching while I am struggling around the learning curve.

quote:

I can get on TOPOZone.com and get the UTM for the area, but it doesn't give lat/lon coords.

I just figured having a way to search by UTM (the system I kinda sorta understand how to use) would make it easier to keep caching while I am struggling around the learning curve.

I agree that it would be useful to be able to search for a cache using UTM. They are printed on the cache pages so it makes sense to be able to search for them too. But I disagree that topozone.com won't give lat/lon. There is a radio control on the map page that will switch from UTM to Hddd.dddd to D/M/S. The Hide or Seek a Cache page will accept decimal degrees. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a change to be made here.

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio