STARTED - [FEATURE] Display of original coords instead of corrected

ansa61

Hi!

One of the newest features of the Geocaching site is the "correction" of coordinates (for example for mystery caches). After setting these user defined coordinates in geocaching.com, these own coordinates are displayed every time I go to the internet page (irrespective of using te browser of my PC or my smartphone). In the pocket queries these user defined / corrected coordinates also appear instead of the original coordinates. When I take a look to a mystery cache with changed coordinates by using the geocaching android app, the original coords are displayed (and not my user defined coords). After importing a gpx-file from a pocket query manually the changed coords (which came correctly with the gpx-file) are displayed until the cache description is updated (using menu / update). Using the feature pocket queries from the geocaching android app main menu don’t load my user-defined coords but the original ones.

It seems that the app don’t use my login for the access to geocaching.com but in the upper left corner my nickname and my avatar is shown.

I use an HTC desire Z, gocaching android app 2.2 and I’m premium member.

Best regards

Andreas (ANSA61)

This feature is not yet complete. User coordinates are shown on the cache page and in PQs/downloads, but not yet used on the beta map or by the API (which the Android and other apps use). This functionality will be available shortly.

Hello Moun10Bike,

you wrote that this functionality will be available shortly. What did you mean with "shortly"?

Best regards

Andreas

Moun10bike, is there a link that you and the developers consider the place to post specific suggestions about this feature. I am concerned that if the API implementation will be the same as the PQs that this will cause some serious issues with nearly all legacy challenge caches. I believe I made a comment (as have others) before, but I am not sure if this information has gotten lost.

All feature discussions should be posted in this forum (Feature Discussions and Suggestions).

FYI, I've seen your requests to maintain the original coordinates along with the corrected ones. That is actually along the lines of how the API team developed the functionality.

Hello.

How about adding an ability to create a waypoint?

If the user solves the mystery cache, the original coordinates would become replaced by corrected coordinates, and the originals would be added as a new "start" waypoint. Then they would show up the same way as on multi-caches. So the original coordinates will be maintained.

Edited by branio

As an example, the way I use Geosphere on iPhone, I do precisely that - I create a new waypoint to store the original coordinates, then update the primary listing coordinates (this is for offline use on my device in the app's database). I do that repeatedly for multi-stage caches - Create waypoint 'stage 1' from the original coords, update original coords to next location. Get there, create new waypoint 'stage 2' at those coords, then update the main coords to the next, and so on. In the end, the cache entry contains a waypoint for each stage, but the primary coordinates end up at the final location, which is preferable.

Essentially, it seems that level of functionality is being requested on the website...

Is it much work to provide users the ability to add custom personal waypoints that merge into the already-existing public waypoints for display via the website, and inclusion in the GPX downloads and PQs (which are already personalized for the logged-in user)? Or is the "updated coordinates" feature being programmed as a newly defined data element in the xml structure?

eta: another practical use - when CO's put parking coordinates in the description instead of as a waypoint, someone browsing can much more easily create their own waypoint while on the web for the parking coordinates, so that when it's downloaded to their device the GPX will include it.

Edited by thebruce0

How about adding an ability to create a waypoint?

If the user solves the mystery cache, the original coordinates would become replaced by corrected coordinates, and the originals would be added as a new "start" waypoint. Then they would show up the same way as on multi-caches. So the original coordinates will be maintained.

Great idea! This should be its own feature request! It would be great for those caches where people post alternative coordinates to the posted ones.