[FEATURE] Move Geocaching Hitchhikers forums to General Geocaching Discussions

Ambient_Skater

The idea of putting the Geocaching Hitchhikers in General Discussions isn't likely to work.

Moving it up the page as it exists would likely cause other problems, since everyone has a different idea of what is important to them.

One thing that comes to mind (not as a result of your suggestion) would be to expand the control a wee bit. Right now you can 'collapse' a full category area to just the title. I've often wished I had the control to only display the forums I wish to see.

Using your example of the Geocaching Hitchikers, I don't always wish to follow the Geocoin forum, but do wish to see the TB forum.

Being able to do that would shrink the growing length of the main page for me. I don't wish to follow many of them all the time, but what I do want to see regularly (for me only) is scattered throughout many categories. So being able to select those I wish would be handier. It would also perhaps be in order to perhaps rearrange a few (I don't know which off hand) into new areas. Using discussions for example, One main area of say GC website and sub area for discussions and one for suggestions bugs. That could even include the announcements and other site stuff from the top level. I'm sure they could make a few that never could be collapsed out of view. Just thinking that would be a better idea when thought out completely.

Edit: to clarify terminology, I can't seem to remember names.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Right now you can 'collapse' a full category area to just the title.

This could come in really handy, but I don't see any way to do it (I'm probably just being dense). Care to share the secret?

--Larry

For the Main Categories ONLY... look across the dark grey bar over to the right side... that white circle with the - sign.

Click it and the Category collapses completely and shows a + sign.

What I was looking for would be the ability to select individual forums the same way.

The OP simply wants to move a whole Category or merge it to keep it up top and handy. as they sink to the bottom of the page.

He is right that would be desirable but hard to please others who want theirs on top...

Is that what you wanted to ask? There is no selective collapsing for the sub groups at this time.

Doug 7rxc

Right now you can 'collapse' a full category area to just the title.

This could come in really handy, but I don't see any way to do it (I'm probably just being dense). Care to share the secret?

--Larry

For the Main Categories ONLY... look across the dark grey bar over to the right side... that white circle with the - sign.

Click it and the Category collapses completely and shows a + sign.

What I was looking for would be the ability to select individual forums the same way.

The OP simply wants to move a whole Category or merge it to keep it up top and handy. as they sink to the bottom of the page.

He is right that would be desirable but hard to please others who want theirs on top...

Is that what you wanted to ask? There is no selective collapsing for the sub groups at this time.

Doug 7rxc

OK, now I see what you were talking about. You're referring to the list on the forums "home page". I almost never visit that page (I've bookmarked the forums I hang out at the most). What I would like to see is a way to condense and/or rearrange the "Forum Jump" drop-down list at the bottom of each forum page. That way, I (and the OP) could see the forums they want to see in the order they want to see them.

I miss the Greasemonkey script that used to provide this sort of functionality; it was never updated to work with the current forum software.

--Larry

OK, now I see what you were talking about. You're referring to the list on the forums "home page". I almost never visit that page (I've bookmarked the forums I hang out at the most). What I would like to see is a way to condense and/or rearrange the "Forum Jump" drop-down list at the bottom of each forum page. That way, I (and the OP) could see the forums they want to see in the order they want to see them.

I miss the Greasemonkey script that used to provide this sort of functionality; it was never updated to work with the current forum software.

--Larry

Well maybe the Greasemonkey writers will take the hint now that it has been brought up... My own thought on that would be to create a pure (or not) HTML Home page on your pesonal computer with your choice of links and arrangement. Then you simply click and your're there, but I don't think you would have the 'latest' message etc. but you don't in the 'jump to' list either. Still it has possibilities, I've done that sort of thing for other services... I admit to being out of practice with that, and completely lost with the software people use these days at great effort to do almost the same thing... but as we used to say, SMOP and of course SMOM.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Every day I look at the forums and wonder, sometimes outloud, are all these different things really needed. Like the new q&a and discussions with Groundspeak???? How much space does that honestly take up. I get the discussions with ground speak one but wouldn't it be better to call it something like bug reports and suggestions? I'm always sitting there trying to figure out where the heck the suggestions/bugs are.

The travelers keep getting pushed further down but maybe it's time to thin out the forums verus moving things all around. Do we need the "the hunt/usual" which is (I'm finding) redundant to both getting started at times and the regular old "geocaching topics" forum. Earthcaching is kind of an afterthought in there too.

I think a good old fashioned make over and thinning out is needed. Get rid of some redundancy in there.

And I think the trackable page needs to go above challenges since trackables illicit so many complaints the hitch hikers area offers much good information.