Help Needed - GPSmap 62s

Seganku

Can anyone point me in the right direction for an idiots guide to using this unit. I've managed to put caches in but don't know how to take them off. Also, does this device show hints etc? They aren't showing but I think I may have GSAK set up wrong for this device??

Many thanks

Seganku

Does it show the full description and past logs?

When you view the cache details you should have the following options:

Show Description

Show Logs

Show Hint

Log Attempt

Enter Next Stage

Find Another

Show Found

I have all of these but if I send pocket queries from GC to the GPS the hints and logs etc don't show up. If I run a query from my home coordinates in GSAK the hints show up? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help in advance

Does it show the full description and past logs?

When you view the cache details you should have the following options:

Show Description

Show Logs

Show Hint

Log Attempt

Enter Next Stage

Find Another

Show Found

I have all of these but if I send pocket queries from GC to the GPS the hints and logs etc don't show up. If I run a query from my home coordinates in GSAK the hints show up? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help in advance

Have you unzipped the PQ files from GC before loading them on? Also which software version do you have?

Have you unzipped the PQ files from GC before loading them on? Also which software version do you have?

I'm not sure what you mean by unzipped so I probably haven't done that. Where do I unzip these? At the moment I run a query on GC, download the caches, then click the download (which appears as a pop up)which sends it straight to GSAK, from there I send it to my GPS. Is there something else I should be doing between the process I mentioned above?

I'm not sure what you mean by software version? If you mean my operating system its Windows 7 (which was my idea :rolleyes:)

Yes that's how I do it. Please please please tell me the correct way to download them?

Regarding deleting caches from your 62s. Plug it into your computer. Click on "My Computer". Click on the drive with the big blue triangle (it'll say GarminGPS62s). Click on the Garmin folder. Click on the GPX folder. You'll now see the downloaded geocaches, they'll start with GC. Highlight and delete whatever cache you don't want but don't delete folders within the GPX folder. As for downloading PQ's, I've been doing that without GSAK so I'm not sure what the GSAK method would be. Here's what I do. Download the PQ to your desktop. It'll be a zip drive but that's okay. Click on it to open it. Now copy the contents (two lines) and paste them inside the same GPX folder that you deleted caches from. Keep in mind that you may have allowed GSAK to handle your PQ's. You will need to change that if you want to copy/paste via the method I described. Good luck....and relax. The 62s is a fantastic GPSr but it really is simply a giant flash drive (USB stick). Don't forget to eject it properly.

When I run pocket queries I'm selecting the gpx format but they are downloading as loc files? Can anyone help with this?

Edited to say I ran a Google search and found my answer. Apparently I'm not ticking the day that I want the query to run which only gives me the option of downloading loc files from the site. I think I should be getting them sent to my email and doing it through that? Is this correct?

Edited by Seganku

When you create a PQ and check the day you want it to run, you will get an email notice that it is ready for download. If the PQ file is small enough the .gpx file(s) may be attached to the email. Be sure to choose the Format for .gpx. If it comes in a Zip file, unzip it and copy the .gpx file(s) into your units Garmin/GPX folder. If not zip'd, just copy the .gpx file(s) into your units Garmin/GPX folder. You should be golden! If you want to use GSAK it will open the PQ zip file and go from there.

Now that your explaining the file structure, I have about 30 .gpx files some as small as 6 or 7kb one named geocaches.gpx that is 9mb in the gpx file folder. I am using GSAK to upload and download caches. I'm assuming GSAK updates the geocaches.gpx file and the Garmin uses it also. Does the Garmin also open and use all of the smaller .gpx files? What file does the Garmin use to store the caches found and the # of caches found?

You need some first had support. In about 15min I can show you all you need to know. Personal message me and I will give you a hand. I have had a 62s since they came out and love it. I have loaded custom maps free topos and can even program your splash screen. Not to mention show you how to load your geocaches and load them to the website with a minimum fuss. I will give you my email.

You need some first had support. In about 15min I can show you all you need to know. Personal message me and I will give you a hand. I have had a 62s since they came out and love it. I have loaded custom maps free topos and can even program your splash screen. Not to mention show you how to load your geocaches and load them to the website with a minimum fuss. I will give you my email.