Oregon 450 or 550

phlatlander

There is a good sale at gpscity (Calgary CA) and this week an Oregon 450 is $300cdn and an Oregon 550 is $330cdn. Reading Garmin info would infer they are quite similar except for the camera on the 550. Apparently the 550 does not have "Garmin Connect", and does not do automatic routing etc. Are there other differences that would make the upgrade more attractive? Opinions?

Edited by phlatlander

There is a good sale at gpscity (Calgary CA) and this week an Oregon 450 is $300cdn and an Oregon 550 is $330cdn. Reading Garmin info would infer they are quite similar except for the camera on the 550. Apparently the 550 does not have "Garmin Connect", and does not do automatic routing etc. Are there other differences that would make the upgrade more attractive? Opinions?

I'm considering both of these units...a side by side comparison on Garmin's website shows the only differences are the camera, and the 550 comes with rechargeable NiMH batteries and a charger whereas the 450 does not. Apart from that the specs are identical, including the turn-by-turn auto routing. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

I have a 450 and a Nuvi 295W which has a camera, I like having the camera, crude as it is. I'm 99% sure the camera is the only difference. If it's only $30 difference, by all means get the 550.

I'm going for coffee on Friday with a serious geocacher and he is going to demo his 450, which I suspect will make me want to replace my old Legend... I wasn't too keen on the 500 with camera but it likely performs as well as my old geocaching minolta 100 - and less batteries to carry around as well.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Its not the worlds greatest camera, but it takes pretty good pictures. But it can be extremly difficult to see what you are taking a picture of under certian lighting conditions. When you are looking at the GPS, you can tilt the screen to see it good, but when you are taking a picture, you cannot tilt the screen. However, the camera is waterproof, will put the lat and long on the picture, and will record the direction the camera is facing when you take a picture. I say it is well worth the extra cost.

I'm going for coffee on Friday with a serious geocacher and he is going to demo his 450, which I suspect will make me want to replace my old Legend... I wasn't too keen on the 500 with camera but it likely performs as well as my old geocaching minolta 100 - and less batteries to carry around as well.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I've used both, and they both do street routing, if you install routable street maps. The 550's camera is great for close-up shots of Travel Bug and Geocoin tracking codes (as close as two inches), and not too bad for scenery shots. It's a little easier to read in daylight than the 450, and easier to calibrate.

I ended up getting a 550 and a Zagg screen protector. Regarding geocaches, I have succeeded in downloading and installing several maps, enlarging the text, changing the text colors, and I have loaded red light files and the the unit "dings" at the correct time. There is much to learn but I must say I am impressed.

I know where there is a Geodetic Survey point and so my terrier and I went out for a morning walk to:

Name: PIER A Zone: 14 E 609386.63 N 5523536 or

Latitude/Longitude : 49.854248 -97.478249

The Oregon 550 read: 49.854250 / 97.478250 which is very good, < 8' lat and < 4' long