Scuba diving & geocaching

[Baggles]

I have taken up scuba diving fairly recently and have been pondering making an underwater cache.

The cache would be placed in one of two quarries, or in the sea. The quarries are frequented by divers but only one is "owned" (the landowner turns a blind eye to diving in the larger one).

I would love to place it in the unowned quarry as it is much bigger and less likely to be muggled, but will struggle to gain permission from the landowner, would this be a no-no?

The smaller owned quarry might grant permission so that could be my plan B and if not, I presume a geocache in the sea is fair game.

Any other thoughts, suggestions or links to underwater caches would be appreciated :-)

Edit

For the sake of full disclosure, I am referring to Dorothea and Vivian quarry in North Wales. The sea cache would be around Anglesey or in the Menai Straits.

Edited by [Baggles]

A friend of mine dived in the quarry on the Malvern Hills a few years ago and reckoned that the visibility was as close to zero as made no difference. The only thing he mentioned was newts!

There was a crane in the quarry before it was flooded and he was actually looking for that without success. It was either buried or removed before the quarry was flooded. He didn't mention a car in the quarry (which the cache is supposedly fixed to), just a flat uninteresting bottom. They must have done some levelling before it was flooded because I remember walking down terraces and trackways to the bottom when I was a having a trespass as a lad!

Judging by the logs it doesn't look as if this one still exists.

Edit Photos

Edited by The Patrician

There is this Multi at Stoney Cove now, the cache isn't underwater though - you are supposed to dive to get some info to work out the co-ords, but unfortunately the equation is so easy to guess that most people have worked it out at home.

Ironically, the only person to get a friend to dive and get the info has been the only DNF! :unsure:

There are GC codes of other Scuba caches on that cache page - but I haven't done any of them

I have a cache underwater. It's a bike chain dipped in setting concrete in a bucket and then a plastic food thermos flask attached by a crab that seems to have held up well.

I presume you mean this excellent cache ... when I found it it was still the flask, but it was attached by string to a smallish stone - maybe that's why it had drifted a bit :laughing:

Edited by Splendidz

We sought advice from Groundspeak about such cache placements if they were at recognised dive centres where you pay to dive or hire equipment. It was agreed that most people wanting to find a cache at such a location would either be a member of a diving association and would probably therefore only pay a 'fee' to use the facility or as a 'day' visitor and pay a slightly higher fee and that would be acceptable. What would not be allowed is for a dive centre itself to place a cache with the aim of promoting the centre as that would be against the commercial guidelines.

For caches in 'unofficial' locations such as flooded quarries or mountain lakes then getting permission from the landowner would be required.

As with any cache that requires the person placing it to do a lot of preliminary work it would be best to run the idea and location by your local reviewer first.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

' timestamp='1324936949' post='4929946']

but only one is "owned" (the landowner turns a blind eye to diving in the larger one).

as you say the larger one is Dorothea and I just checked UKDivers and they are still saying diving is officially banned at this quarry

UKDiveguide say this quarry is closed to diving also

As a fully qualified diver I would resist the temptation of using this site