Finds not showing ... why?

Valeites

I went out today (as a newbie) and found 3 local caches using my iPhone. I logged each as being found using the app, but on looking at the listings tonight those events don't show. Please would someone tell me (politely)the stupid mistake I made?

I'm afraid I'm not an i-phone cache either (I use a GPSr, & a PC) but I'm wondering if the i-phone app works in the same way as the GPSr bit only so perhaps I can hazard a guess for you.

Perhaps logging the find on the app, simply registers it off-line as found for your own personal "count" (in the same way as logging it as found on a GPSr would). When I've come home after a geocaching trip - I then have to log on on-line to geocaching.com and register my finds again (in an on-line stylee) together with any descriptive log I may wish to write. It's only when I've done that second on-line step that my finds register against my name.

It's entirely possible that the i-phone app only does the first bit and doesn't talk to your on-line account. You may still have to log on to geocaching.com and log the find against each page as a separate action. Or there may be a way of getting the 2 (the app and the site) to talk to each other. But obviously an i-phone user could confirm this or perhaps explain it better!

This is going to sound really vague....

It's been a good few months since I used the icrap to cache with, but I remember you "write a message" (log it) and then have to remember to separately send it...... I know I stuffed up a few times.

I'd not bother while you're out in the field, people get funny about very short "TFTC" or non existent logs, so just take a note book, jot down a few notes, then write a good quality log when you get home!

:rolleyes: