How does Pocket Query select caches?

The Hornet

When there are more than the requested maximum number of caches that meet the selection criteria, which caches get selected for download?

As an extreme example I set up a test query to select 10 caches from the whole of the UK (where I live). Sure enough 10 came down and they were all very low numbers. They were spread over the whole of the UK.

I suspect that if the selection criteria result in more finds than the requested number (x) an alphabetical (numerical) list is generated and only the first x get sent. Is this correct?

I've also noticed that if you don't put a value in the minutes boxes of the co-ordinate selection list, the whole thing gets ignored and you end up with caches from all over the selected country. The reason I left the box blank was the co-ordinates I was searching around were integral degrees with zero minutes (N51, W3).

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

The database returns caches in the order it "finds" them. How it finds them depends on your particular query and the choice and combination of indexes it decides to use when processing your query. So in some cases you'll notice they're in order, other times it'll appear random.

-Elias