[FEATURE] Change social network button titles to be relevant to repective network

Ambient_Skater

Correction: That should say respective in the topic name.

The titles of the four small icons linking to Groundspeak's accounts on various social networks currently read "Follow us on $socialNetwork" for each button. However, following only applies to Twitter. The correct terms for the other networks are "Like us on Facebook" "Subscribe to us on YouTube" and "Visit us on Flickr", since there is no subscription mechanism for Flickr.

gHMt1.png

Edited by Ambient_Skater

What they really need is to be able to publish across to Google+ and Facebook. Every other outdoor activity site that I use has the ability to publish stats across to social networks sites. The fact that Grounspeak doesn't makes them kind of dark age as far as current useability. Even weirder is the fact that they offer the ability to publish these very comments to social network sites but you can't publish a find or your latest caching update. Very strange!

What they really need is to be able to publish across to Google+ and Facebook. Every other outdoor activity site that I use has the ability to publish stats across to social networks sites.

It's already possible to publish logs to Twitter and Facebook. You can set it up here. The feature is intentionally placed out of the way due to the huge amount of people who like to complain about it. Google+ isn't supported, but if you would like to suggest it you should post a separate topic. I would like to keep this topic about what I wrote in the OP, since I don't want it to become another thread of people complaining about Twitter and Facebook.

What they really need is to be able to publish across to Google+ and Facebook. Every other outdoor activity site that I use has the ability to publish stats across to social networks sites. The fact that Grounspeak doesn't makes them kind of dark age as far as current useability. Even weirder is the fact that they offer the ability to publish these very comments to social network sites but you can't publish a find or your latest caching update. Very strange!

Many people don't use Facebook, so it would not be worth the time; and also after all, facebook is not part of geocaching.com! I don't think it's a good idea to spend a lot of time on something for a site not part of geocaching.com.

What they really need is to be able to publish across to Google+ and Facebook. Every other outdoor activity site that I use has the ability to publish stats across to social networks sites.

It's already possible to publish logs to Twitter and Facebook. You can set it up here. The feature is intentionally placed out of the way due to the huge amount of people who like to complain about it. Google+ isn't supported, but if you would like to suggest it you should post a separate topic. I would like to keep this topic about what I wrote in the OP, since I don't want it to become another thread of people complaining about Twitter and Facebook.

I don't want Geocaching.Com publishing every (LPC and Cash&Dash) log to my Facebook.. What I would really like is the ability to click a button on my log review page which would post THAT particular log to Facebook. That way, I can choose to publish logs for the more interesting caches.

JW

40% of the world population has a FB account. That's close to 3 billion people. Just because you don't use social networking is no reason that we should be deprived of the functionality. It's a very simple thing to do and provides a lot of pleasure for a lot of people. I thank Ambient Skater for showing me that I can actually do this. Posting on FB will also allow many more people to discover and enjoy this great sport. I know my friends well enough to know they will be intrigued and even if they don't set up accounts they will enjoy watching my adventures as I travel the world logging finds.

I don't want Geocaching.Com publishing every (LPC and Cash&Dash) log to my Facebook.. What I would really like is the ability to click a button on my log review page which would post THAT particular log to Facebook. That way, I can choose to publish logs for the more interesting caches.

JW

This is exactly what GC provides, and exactly what I do.

Go to the Sharing part of your preferences.

Connect your Facebook account to your Geocaching profile, if you haven't already.

Uncheck the box that reads "Update Facebook status when I log a geocache on the website".

Now when you log either a "Found it" or "Didn't find it" on a cache, a new choice will appear, "Update Facebook Status". Check this box if you want the log to be posted on your Facebook page; don't check the box if you don't.

--Larry

40% of the world population has a FB account. That's close to 3 billion people. Just because you don't use social networking is no reason that we should be deprived of the functionality. It's a very simple thing to do and provides a lot of pleasure for a lot of people. I thank Ambient Skater for showing me that I can actually do this. Posting on FB will also allow many more people to discover and enjoy this great sport. I know my friends well enough to know they will be intrigued and even if they don't set up accounts they will enjoy watching my adventures as I travel the world logging finds.

What about the other 60 percent? As I said, Facebook isn't part of Groundspeak, so why should they work on something that doesn't pertain to them and is useless for the majority of the world's population?

40% of the world population has a FB account. That's close to 3 billion people.

If 40% of the world's population - close to 3 billion - have a FB account, over 7 billion don't.
Just because you don't use social networking is no reason that we should be deprived of the functionality.
Social networking used or not, deprivement of the functionality may be considerable because of the unneccessary circumstances.
Posting on FB will also allow many more people to discover and enjoy this great sport.
Post it? Great. Changing social network button titles to be relevant to repective network? Not related. Edited by zsdeng15014

40% of the world population has a FB account. That's close to 3 billion people. <snip>

What about the other 60 percent? As I said, Facebook isn't part of Groundspeak, so why should they work on something that doesn't pertain to them and is useless for the majority of the world's population?

This topic is about changing the mouse over text of the four social network buttons seen on geocaching.com pages to be semantically correct. If you would like to complain about Facebook--geocaching.com's integration with Facebook or just social networking in general-- please take that over to a topic where that happy huh.gif discussion is currently happening.