DECLINED - [FEATURE] geocaching.com maps

5 G Cachers

I enjoy the new Beta format for the geocaching maps. My husband and I are trying to cache all 88 counties in Ohio and get frustrated when planning trips when it comes to finding caches in certain counties. We have the big Ohio map next to us and keep going back and forth between it and the geocaching.com map. Is there any way that counties and county boarders could be added to the geocaching.com map so that it's easier to identify counties we just found a cache in and easily plan routes that will touch various counties for other trips.

The map tiles come from Google and simply do not include county line data. We would have to create a county line layer of our own to layer over the maps, but that would be a significant undertaking (collecting data for everywhere in the world, serving it up efficiently, etc.) that we are not planning to do at this time.

Some workarounds, from someone who's found caches in all 88 Ohio counties:

1. For an individual cache, click the Mapquest link because that service includes county borders.

2. Use the Google Earth geocaching plugin and turn on the county borders layer in Google Earth.

3. Download pocket queries and view the caches in offline mapping software to see which county a cache is in.

4. Use GSAK to work with your pocket query data, because GSAK automatically assigns the correct county to each cache. Then, if you need to visit Ross County, you can filter for just the caches in Ross County and load those into your GPS and mapping software.

Edited by Keystone

One of my goals in geocaching is to eventually find a cache (or two) in each county of Michigan, which is where I live. When I plan my caching adventures it is fun to go into areas I haven't cached before. When I look at the map, I get frustrated because it is hard to tell what caches are in which counties because there are not county lines on our beta map. I usually end up pulling out different maps of my own to try and figure this out. How hard would it be to add this feature onto our beta map? :unsure:

I enjoy the new Beta format for the geocaching maps. My husband and I are trying to cache all 88 counties in Ohio and get frustrated when planning trips when it comes to finding caches in certain counties. We have the big Ohio map next to us and keep going back and forth between it and the geocaching.com map. Is there any way that counties and county boarders could be added to the geocaching.com map so that it's easier to identify counties we just found a cache in and easily plan routes that will touch various counties for other trips.

You thnk 88 counties is hard... Try 254 in the state of Texas!

I have a 149 of the 254 counties in Texas.

Just this past holiday my wife & I took a trip. We found caches in a total of 30 counties. On our trip home. We found 32 caches, in 21 counties covering 585 miles in one day.

Sadly Google maps and bing maps, even when your online and viewing them, have dropped county borders for whatever crazy reason. Just more a reason to hate them even more allready. OpenStreets maps which you can use on the iPhone does show county lines.

I also use several other iPhone/iPad apps that have maps data that is downloadable, and you dont' always need a live internet connection. They show county lines as well. importing waypoints (geocaches) isn't the easiest thing to do with them. But it works for at least letting you know what caches are in what counties when your traveling.

TGC