Can't upload to my GPS

losers_weepers

I can not get caches to upload to my Magellan GC North American. I am using a MacBook Pro to work with here. Could this be my main problem? After trying to upload I get a pop-up window and it tells me to upload the program for using the Mac. So I download the program and installed the add-on to browser. I am using Firefox for my browser and it shows that the add-on has been added. However it keps tell me "Magellan Communicator not found". It's this what I just got down downloading in that same pop-up window? Can I get any help with this problem? Could it just be as simple as the site is having a hard day and maybe the server is just jacked up today?

Thanks, Scott

Farrell, Pa.

I'm having the same problrm with my Garmin. Someone suggested downloading easygps.com which I did successfully, but I get the same error msg when trying to copy data.

It was also suggested to brcome a premium member so I could download batches, but 1: that doesn't solve the basic problem, and 2: downloading one at a time doesn't seem like a big deal.

Edited by Ladybugbonita

I have the same problem with my Magellan Explorist 710. I paid the membership fee to get the Save GPX option and save it right to my GPS. It's an extra step but ultimately not any harder. A look via google shows this is not a new issue with Magellan, so I stopped looking for a fix. If you find one I'm sure all the Magellan users would love to hear about it!

All three of you should explain what's happening in the topic Wilson linked to and include the details of your operating system and browser. That'll help the admins fix the issue.

I don't think it's a geocaching.com problem. I think it's a Magellan problem. Sadly from what I've seen in forums it isn't being addressed.

Do you have a screenshot I could see?

Yes I do.... However, the way this forum is set up I can't upload it without the pic being associated with a webpage. It wants a URL for the image which I wouldn't have for it since it is located on my desktop. :(

Yes, you have to upload it to another website, which you could do but don't need to anymore seeing that the lackey has responded.

You might try GSAK. On your Mac, you will need to use Virtual PC, Parallels or Boot Camp to open GSAK. Once you get GSAK, then create a database in GSAK. Open geocaching.com and a cache listing page that you want to find. Then click on the GPX File button. Answer yes to the two popup boxes. When you are done transferring cache listing to GSAK use GSAK to transfer the files to your GPS'r. GSAK will have a lising for various gps'r manufacturers and their models. Select yours and hopefully you will have the data.

This is currently a bug with Magellan GPS devices and Mac computers. We are aware of the problem and are looking into it.

For now, yes, the annoying pop up keeps coming up but the communicator is downloaded successfully. Click cancel and you can still download the cache successfully.

Thanks for letting us know.

Gave the "Cancel" button a try. It didn't work, I am sad. However I downloaded some 3rd party software to make this work for me. It's call MacCache. It is extra steps to get to the same ending. I don't think anyone who goes out and buys a Magellan GPS that says it is made specifically for GoeCaching.com should have to go through all of this nonsense. I don't want to pay $15.00 more for software to fix this problem the starts with Magellan and their false advertisement! I guess my best bet it to either return the GPS and get my money back and continue to use my Android Phone to find caches like I was or call Magellan and complain. I don't think calling Magellan will fix the problem since this is an ongoing problem from what I have been reading. I am now done ranting! Thanks for listening.....

This is currently a bug with Magellan GPS devices and Mac computers. We are aware of the problem and are looking into it.

For now, yes, the annoying pop up keeps coming up but the communicator is downloaded successfully. Click cancel and you can still download the cache successfully.

Gave the "Cancel" button a try. It didn't work, I am sad. However I downloaded some 3rd party software to make this work for me. It's call MacCache. It is extra steps to get to the same ending. I don't think anyone who goes out and buys a Magellan GPS that says it is made specifically for GoeCaching.com should have to go through all of this nonsense. I don't want to pay $15.00 more for software to fix this problem the starts with Magellan and their false advertisement! I guess my best bet it to either return the GPS and get my money back and continue to use my Android Phone to find caches like I was or call Magellan and complain. I don't think calling Magellan will fix the problem since this is an ongoing problem from what I have been reading. I am now done ranting! Thanks for listening.....

You're a premium member. Do what I did. Plug your GPS into the Mac. It will show up as a hard drive. When you get to the Geocache you want to save, hit the GPX file button. You will be asked where you want to save. Save it to the GPS. My folder was "Geocaches," I don't know what yours might be but it is probably pretty obvious. Once you do this whatever you saved will show up on your GPS geocache list, along with all the info if you have paperless. My understanding is that as long as you're a premium member, you can use this option. Hope it helps, it's been working for me.

You're a premium member. Do what I did. Plug your GPS into the Mac. It will show up as a hard drive. When you get to the Geocache you want to save, hit the GPX file button. You will be asked where you want to save. Save it to the GPS. My folder was "Geocaches," I don't know what yours might be but it is probably pretty obvious. Once you do this whatever you saved will show up on your GPS geocache list, along with all the info if you have paperless. My understanding is that as long as you're a premium member, you can use this option. Hope it helps, it's been working for me.

Thanks for your input.The wife figured this same thing out yesterday. I won't let her know that she is smarter then me on this one. I still think this kind of sucks on Magellan's part being that it advertises that this GPS is for GeoCaching and as it may be that.... It doesn't work as stated! Kind of bad business if you ask me. I will not tell any of our GeoCaching friends to go out and buy a Magellan product to GeoCache until the problem is taken care of. I am still contemplating on just taking it back for general purposes. You know it is a shame cause from what I can tell it works really well for the price. Again it's just the point that the product does work as advertised. Call me what you want but I am a firm believer that if you buy something it is suppose to work as the manufacture says it does!!!!! Am I wrong for thinking this? After all I work just as hard for my money as the folks do at Magellan. Come on people get your act together here.

Edited by losers_weepers

Not to like, stir the pot or anything, but if you want to return it based on this, then go for it. Maybe other people have had this problem and went "Meh, not worth the trouble". I was out with some friends last week and they go to talking about how companies will do something wrong (not like, super wrong, but wrong) and they'll get away with it just because it's something rather trifling and no one wants to be bothered to correct it. It's super annoying if it's not working the way it should. Either you can get your money and get something that does what it says and maybe Magellan will fix this problem, or maybe they'll have a solution for you.

Not to like, stir the pot or anything, but if you want to return it based on this, then go for it. Maybe other people have had this problem and went "Meh, not worth the trouble". I was out with some friends last week and they go to talking about how companies will do something wrong (not like, super wrong, but wrong) and they'll get away with it just because it's something rather trifling and no one wants to be bothered to correct it. It's super annoying if it's not working the way it should. Either you can get your money and get something that does what it says and maybe Magellan will fix this problem, or maybe they'll have a solution for you.

I have called Magellan and was told that they know all about the problem. It has been an occurring problem for over a year! They don't seem like they are ever going to fix anytime soon. The call taker told me to just use some 3rd. party software and the problem will be solved. I couldn't get the person on the other end of the phone to understand that this isn't how the dadgum thing was suppose to work. I told the call taker to read the box and the way they advertise the product. Blah, Blah,Blah..... They just don't care at Magellan, just like any company now days... Just buy what we sell and then it's your worry to make it work the way we {the company) intended it to. I guess that what I get for buy "Made in China" products. To bad we have to depend on the Chinese for our technology.

I like the product and just wish I did have to take the extra steps to transfer the Cache information to the GPS. That is all I am asking of Magellan, fix the problem and make everyone including myself happy that we bought your product and helped to pay your salaries!

I have called Magellan and was told that they know all about the problem. It has been an occurring problem for over a year! They don't seem like they are ever going to fix anytime soon. The call taker told me to just use some 3rd. party software and the problem will be solved. I couldn't get the person on the other end of the phone to understand that this isn't how the dadgum thing was suppose to work. I told the call taker to read the box and the way they advertise the product. Blah, Blah,Blah..... They just don't care at Magellan, just like any company now days... Just buy what we sell and then it's your worry to make it work the way we {the company) intended it to. I guess that what I get for buy "Made in China" products. To bad we have to depend on the Chinese for our technology.

I like the product and just wish I did have to take the extra steps to transfer the Cache information to the GPS. That is all I am asking of Magellan, fix the problem and make everyone including myself happy that we bought your product and helped to pay your salaries!

I understand the principle. Things should work the way they should. Someone obviously is dropping the ball at Magellan. That said, I love my Explorist much more than my Oregon. If you read my post upthread you will see you don't need any 3rd party software. If you want to return it on principle go for it. But don't return it because it isn't working. The go-around is very simple.

Having same problem with my new Magellan GC Explorer unit, really annoying!!!! Im using windows 7 and a regular dell lap top. Is there a way to download multiple files at once, the gpx files? I know I can select 25 at a time but that's only the loc files i believe. I would like it to work as advertised but that's not going to happen. Do i just have to select each one and downland the file and place it in the right folder? Also is using the pocket queries going to download the loc or gpx files?

Having same problem with my new Magellan GC Explorer unit, really annoying!!!! Im using windows 7 and a regular dell lap top. Is there a way to download multiple files at once, the gpx files? I know I can select 25 at a time but that's only the loc files i believe. I would like it to work as advertised but that's not going to happen. Do i just have to select each one and downland the file and place it in the right folder? Also is using the pocket queries going to download the loc or gpx files?

Pocket Queries will help you load multiple GPX files at once, you can learn more about them here: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=28

That's so ridiculous of them. I'm sorry that it didn't take you anywhere :( Sounds like they need a far bigger kick to get them moving. Laaaame.