Saved GPX files

TheNinjaJedi

A friend of mine sent me a GPX file and I want to load it on my iPhone. I uploaded the file to GC.com but don't know how do download them back to my form.

From what the page says it seems possible.

"A popular use for this feature is to first download a customized Pocket Query, followed by a massaging of the data in your preferred third party waypoint manager. Once the data is to your liking, you can upload it to the website so that it may later be downloaded by your mobile device."

Any ideas?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

I tried it using Groundspeaks official app v4.5.9 on a 3gs running IoS 5.0.1

PC was windows xp using Firefox 8.0.1

I can't get it to work either.

Uploading a gpx went smoothly enough. But once it is on the site there does not seem to be anything I can do with the file. It did not become a hyperlink (to maybe turn it into a PQ)and the only option on the page to directly use the file was 'delete'. The file does not show up in my list of available PQ for download or in my general list of PQs. Nor did it become a bookmark list or part of my watchlist.

In the app I could find no place where to access the information from the uploaded gpx file either.

So it does not seem to be working as intended(or at least how it is written it should work), but I am unsure if it is a website issue or an app issue.

Nope, totally non-functional.

I can upload a correctly sized and formatted file, but there isn't any way to download it, either from my PC or my phone (via the website itself or using the official app).

I have never used this feature, since I can save files directly to my ANDROID phone as needed.

As I understand it this is not possible with an iPhone, so it appears you are SOL for the time being. :(

This feature will be going away shortly. We are instead focusing resources on a better solution, which is allowing users to "correct" coordinates for puzzle and multicaches and have those coordinates delivered in their "normal" PQs instead.

So, apparently TPTB don't think you will ever need (or want) to download a saved .gpx file (to your iPhone).

I'm not certain that the 'corrected co-ordinates' feature is necessarily the solution to the same need (even if it was essentially developed for that reason), but there you go.

The Frog giveth, and the Frog taketh away.

I suppose you could create a web server on your computer to download from, but that is a bit more complicated than most folks would want to tackle.

This feature will be going away shortly. We are instead focusing resources on a better solution, which is allowing users to "correct" coordinates for puzzle and multicaches and have those coordinates delivered in their "normal" PQs instead.

So, apparently TPTB don't think you will ever need (or want) to download a saved .gpx file (to your iPhone).

I'm not certain that the 'corrected co-ordinates' feature is necessarily the solution to the same need (even if it was essentially developed for that reason), but there you go.

The Frog giveth, and the Frog taketh away.

I suppose you could create a web server on your computer to download from, but that is a bit more complicated than most folks would want to tackle.

Bummer.

I can see some uses for this feature that has nothing to do with corrected coordinates. :(

Thanks for the information though.

I believe it will be easier for me to just have the netbook in the geo-cruiser as opposed to creating a web server :laughing:

Apparently there is hope!

An iPhone app called 'FileAid' can help you transfer files via WiFi from a PC to an iPhone.

Also, the same developers makes 'DiskAid' to transfer via USB.

Google 'Upload file to iPhone' for more possibilities.

But once I have the file on my iPhone, how do I use it with the gc.com app?

The GC.COM iPhone app used to support the download and use of a gpx file that had been uploaded to GC.COM. That functionality was removed in the most recent updates. I believe the reason given was that the new "corrected coordinates" feature on GC.COM would be applied to pocket queries and could then be downloaded to the iPhone. This in fact works as I am in the middle of using that on the Peace Sign series in Seattle using that feature. Thank goodness, because I don't have my regular GPS with me on this trip and the alternative (adding alternate coords to each cache individually using the iPhone app) would be ugly.

I don't personally agree that the corrected coordinates being applied to a PQ for download to the iPhone reasonably replaces the ability to download an uploaded gpx file. But, as someone said the frog giveth and the frog taketh.

All that said, in short, there is no longer a way I know of to get a non-PQ generated gpx file into your GC.COM iPhone caching app.

Apparently there is hope!

An iPhone app called 'FileAid' can help you transfer files via WiFi from a PC to an iPhone.

Also, the same developers makes 'DiskAid' to transfer via USB.

Google 'Upload file to iPhone' for more possibilities.

But once I have the file on my iPhone, how do I use it with the gc.com app?

I don't know about the iPhone app, but the ANDROID version has the capability to search the phone's memory (SD card) for .gpx files. Perhaps the iPhone app doesn't have this capability since there is no 'native' method to put files there (in the phone's memory, SD card or otherwise)?

It would be nice to see this feature working in the geocaching app for mobile devices. The website piece of it still works and is just a tease. If there is no intention of adding the functionality to mobile apps, then please just remove the link (quite easily I may add), from view on the website. There is no point in listing this as a Premium Member feature, but then not let us use it.