[FEATURE] New map icons

Falamazar

Recently, I contacted Groundspeak through the "Contact Us" link with a couple of suggestions that I think would be beneficial for a future update of the website. The response from Groundspeak was that I should post the suggestions on the forums to see if there would be any interest in them.

I suggest adding a specialized icon to the map function to indicate "New" caches. Where the regular icons are square, and the premium icons are round, how about a diamond shaped icon for caches that are listed as "New"?

Recently, I contacted Groundspeak through the "Contact Us" link with a couple of suggestions that I think would be beneficial for a future update of the website. The response from Groundspeak was that I should post the suggestions on the forums to see if there would be any interest in them.

I suggest adding a specialized icon to the map function to indicate "New" caches. Where the regular icons are square, and the premium icons are round, how about a diamond shaped icon for caches that are listed as "New"?

I like that idea a lot.

I'm forever browsing over the map, moving around to here and there, planning caching excursions. It would be really helpful to see that "new" icon pop up.

Interesting suggestion.

But.

Is the 'Diamond' icon new cache an All Members, or a Premium Members Only cache?

What if it was oval-shaped for new PMO caches? Kind of similar to how a diamond could be an elongated square....

..and how "old" is "new" ?

When I go to "List newest in Ontario", caches are marked as "new" that were published 6 days ago.

The events that were published longer ago than that have had logs posted to them in the last 6 days.

So, I'm guessing Groundspeak considers "new" to be within the last week.

B.

How does it help you plan your excursion? Can't really see any benefit at all as those after FTF will be picking them up on Notifications and running out the minute they are published. Those of us simply going on an excursion just download the caches in the area we want to walk via a PQ - the fact they are less than 6 days old has no bearing on the route?

How does it help you plan your excursion? Can't really see any benefit at all as those after FTF will be picking them up on Notifications and running out the minute they are published. Those of us simply going on an excursion just download the caches in the area we want to walk via a PQ - the fact they are less than 6 days old has no bearing on the route?

Some people might prefer to go for more recently placed caches because the swag would tend not to have degraded yet, the trackable inventory is probably still correct, the container is likely in decent condition, and the odds of running into another cacher are higher. I'm sure there are other reasons, too, but those are some that came to mind.