New Geocacher - New GPS HELP!

boothtec

I just got a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx for Christmas!!! Yay!! But... I have no idea how to use it for Geocaching!! Bummer! From what I read in the manual I need maps that apparently doesn't come with the unit. I'm pretty tech savy and have used a GPS in my vehicle for years. Where should I get the downloads to get started????

I just got a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx for Christmas!!! Yay!! But... I have no idea how to use it for Geocaching!! Bummer! From what I read in the manual I need maps that apparently doesn't come with the unit. I'm pretty tech savy and have used a GPS in my vehicle for years. Where should I get the downloads to get started????

I'm sure you can use it without the optional maps for now.

Welcome to the game!

I have never purchased any of the Garmin maps. You don't need them. Spend some time getting familiar with your new GPS and how to use it. Just wrapping up the end of our eigth year caching without using Garmin maps, but using Garmin units. Explore the options and have fun!

Maps are nice to have, but you absolutely don't need them for geocaching.

The only time I ever use the maps on my unit are when I'm trying to decide on the best approach to a cache in the field and am not sure exactly where it is in relation to some large obstacle (i.e. which side of the river, or above or below that cliff). That's more about convenience than anything.

My advice would be to just download a few caches and go out and have fun. You can always add the maps later if it turns out you really want them.

I also got a etrex for Christmas, although a different model. `My model has what is called a trip computer stage. It showed speed, odometer and a few other things. These items can be changed to another selection from a menu. I changed one of them to show latitude and longitude. My son and I then went out a found a cache close to our house. You do not have to have a map.