how did you pick your user name?

russnbunny

I have an idea for a fun topic, my user name or screen name is russnbunny because my name is Russ and my wifes name is Hollie but I call her bunny. We always cache together so its russnbunny. I have seen some strange names on here and I just thought it would be fun to know how some of you guys and gals picked your names.

Years ago I was doing a crossword puzzle and came across this word. When I mentioned it to my brother and some others they laughed and said that fit me to a tee. So I started using it on another forum.

It really doesn't fit Geocaching, as my wife is not interested in doing the Geocaching.

The word means "excessivly fond of, or doting on ones wife." :)

Neat topic :)

A co-worker had reintroduced me to the activity while we were on a break. I decided to create an account almost as a joke. So he would instantly know it was me I used the name of the piece of equipment I operated at the time CX1.

Now after signing 850+ logs many of which are on those teeny tiny nano log sheets I am very glad I picked such a small user name. I always laugh when he is trying to squeeze in the 9 letters of his user name.

And now that Groundspeak has honored me so highly (by default I have to be considered the first challenge right?) I would never voluntarily change it.

My first name is Josh. Joshism was a word I term I used for at least a few years before I started geocaching. It has a double meaning:

1) It can refer to slang, sayings, puns, quips, references, or any other manner of speech that is commonly made by or otherwise typical of myself (some say I have a unique way with words).

2) I felt needed a term to refer to my political, philosophical, and religious beliefs as I feel they don't properly fit in any of the standard classifications.

We have lots of interesting caching names in town. I almost wish people would post why on their profile page, I'd feel funny emailing people, but would really love to know WHY?

As for us, we are The Incredibles, named after the movie. We go caching as a family so it made sense to come up with a name to include all of us. Our daughter suggested the Incredibles. It fits our family, actually, we have a girl and a boy.

here in Italy qq7 (read q-q-sette) is an expression said when a person jump out of an hiding, or when with little children they play hide and seek on order to to scare or laugh (i.e. equivalent to buuuuuuuu).

I had started with this nick many years ago on others forums.

There is a song, "deep enough to dream", by Chris Rice that I like. This is one of the verses...

Awakened by a familiar sound

A clumsy fly is buzzin' around

He bumps the screen and he tumbles down

He gathers about his wits and pride

And tries again for the hundredth time

'Cause freedom calls from the other side

And I smile and nod, and slowly drift away

Many years ago I was signing up for an account somewhere and "clumsyfly" was taken, so I changed the "s" to a "z" and have stuck with it ever since.

My wife uses jesusgirl779481 on everything. 77 because she likes 7's and 9481 is her birthday. If she is jesusgirl and I am clumzyfly...does that make our kids Holy Maggots?

Edited by clumzyfly

My wife was introduced to caching on a trip to New York. She was so excited about it that she called and explained it to me in the hopes that I would be too. I found this site and originally chose Patturgeon, a combination of our last names, as a screen name because I figured this would be something we did together a lot. Since great minds think alike, she was in NY trying to create the exact same screen name I had. Because that one was taken she added the 10.4 (our anniversary) on the end.

Spoondoggled comes from the days when spouse Bill used to restore damaged higher-end quality stainless flatware and sell it to people online so they could replace their stuff that had gone down the disposal or gone missing... He starting placing some of those nice Oneida Community or Towle (or whatever) spoons into the bigger caches - jest fer fun, 'cuz ya never know when you might need a spoon, after all. The swag-bag is still full of some really nice spoons just waiting for a new home in fact.

Edited by Spoondoggled & Co.

The kids picked out our name.

Team as we were going to do this as a family.

Pixos are very small round things passing themselves as toys. You make shapes out of them then spritz with water. They swell and stick together.

Now these things hurt underfoot, as the mom I'm always trying to get rid of them. So when the kids suggested the name so we would have a signature item I was thrilled.

Through a bunch in a plastic ziplock and leave in every cache we visit.

So we are Team Pixos.

The kids picked out our name.

Team as we were going to do this as a family.

Pixos are very small round things passing themselves as toys. You make shapes out of them then spritz with water. They swell and stick together.

Now these things hurt underfoot, as the mom I'm always trying to get rid of them. So when the kids suggested the name so we would have a signature item I was thrilled.

Through a bunch in a plastic ziplock and leave in every cache we visit.

So we are Team Pixos.

Excellent! I wish I had thought of that with those dang Legos...

Fun thread, I'm sure it's been around before but I won't bother to dig the old one up.

I even have a cache out where I found my first one that explains this.

I picked wimseyguy as my handle and my wife became shadowgal, after our two (at that time) cats. Wimsey was named for Lord Peter Wimsey of the Dorothy Sayers mysteries-shadowgal's absolute favorites. Since I tend to have a whimsical sense of humor it seemed fitting at the time. Now eight+ years, and thousands of caches later-the caching world knows me better as wimsey than my real name.

I wasn't very inventive. I simply used my email handle. Brian is my first name and Snat is a common nickname for almost everybody in my family. It's a shortened version of my last name which is long and Polish.

Though it's not a very interesting name, at least I never have to worry about it already being used whenever I sign up for a website.

I'm always curious too, to know why geocachers have picked their user names. It's funny that when we see our friends at local caching events, we tend to call them by their user names rather than their actual names! (But that's hard if the username is unpronounceable!)

When my husband and I joined up on the site, we tried many different names, trying to be clever or funny, but of course all the "good" names were already taken! So we picked our name because we like ducks (we used to go feed the ducks at a local pond together in our dating days) and we drive a van. Of course, this means that we have to leave signature rubber duckies as our swag items!

My geocaching name is one of two pet names that my husband had for me when we started dating. They are both variations of my real name. The other pet name isn't very flattering, so I chose Ambrosia. Recently, I found that my real name is actually a form of Ambrosia, so I realize how perfect my caching name really is.

I'm very glad that I started caching early enough to get it, because I can't get it on other sites anymore. On other sites, I go by Ambrosia_apples, because I live in the Apple Capital of the world, and the Geocaching forum people have come to associate me with apples.

Now that I think of it, using a form of my real name, I could have taken the geocaching name, Electra or Elektra. :rolleyes: Umm, no. :P

BTW - Ambrosia doesn't necessarily mean "Food of the Gods". While it was used in Greek mythology, it probably just means fragrant. I don't mind being associated with smelling good. :anicute:

Edited by Ambrosia

When I was really little, one of my favorite books was "The Diggingest Dog". I have a screen name that I've used about everywhere else in one form or another, and while I'm not sick of it, I thought I'd change it up :) So the name of my favorite book when I was little was slightly modified and I added a number to it.

I work in a vet clinic and in one of the waiting rooms I discovered a copy of "The Diggingest Dog", so every once in a while when it's slow I go in and read it :)

My username of Agent Okie sort of evolved on another website, WheresGeorge.com. I started there as Principal Okie as I was a school administrator at the time. An abrupt career change allowed me to become a REALTOR for the past 9 years. We had a lengthy discussion whether it was even appropriate to change your username and what mine should now become. Among the suggestions was Agent Okie (real estate agent). It seemed to fit and has been my internet name in many forums now for the past 9 years. :DIt's also my Jeep tag (Agtokie) which is often mistaken for Ag-Tokie! Lol! :)

Fun thread, I'm sure it's been around before but I won't bother to dig the old one up.

Here's the old one just for those that want to read it. I prefer a new thread myself after all this time.

Mine is pretty apropriate to my personality. The Urban Dictionary entry for my screen name isn't very family friendly though. :anibad::laughing:

Snoogans is a made up word. Jason Mewes (Jay of Jay & Silent Bob) made it up. It means, "I'm kidding." The origins of words in Jay's private language are explained in the 5 hour DVD, "An Evening with Kevin Smith." Snoogans fits me pretty good according to my fellow Texas Geocachers. I have started to answer to it.

Edited by Snoogans

I picked wimseyguy as my handle and my wife became shadowgal, after our two (at that time) cats. Wimsey was named for Lord Peter Wimsey of the Dorothy Sayers mysteries-shadowgal's absolute favorites. Since I tend to have a whimsical sense of humor it seemed fitting at the time. Now eight+ years, and thousands of caches later-the caching world knows me better as wimsey than my real name.

Which is a good thing Mortimer.

Aw, be nice to ol' Mort. We love him just the way he is. :anibad: (Let's just not post his last name, that may really embarrass him. :ph34r: )

Aw, be nice to ol' Mort. We love him just the way he is. :anibad: (Let's just not post his last name, that may really embarrass him. :ph34r: )

What's wrong with Pimplebeak?

What's wrong with Pimplebeak?

Gah...ya had to go and do it, didn't you. :angry:

Like Dgwphotos, my original caching name was just my first initial and last name, and not very creative. Years ago, in a workplace hockey pool, I named my team "The A-Team", because my first name starts with 'A'. When I decided I wanted to change my caching name, I was lucky enough to find that "The A-Team" was in use by an "unvalidated" account, so GS allowed me to take the name. It opens up many additional benefits, such as having Mr. T as my avatar with the caption "I pity the fool that doesn't cache!". I've also started using the phrase "I love it when a plan comes together!" in my FTF logs, and I've considered using some kind of A-Team theme for some cache placements.

My original user name was just my first initial and last name. I changed it partly because it wasn't very creative, and I think it sounded kind of lame.

Mine was my first initial and last name, too. I changed it to my first name and last initial, just to be different. I can be a bit wild like that. :lol: