Picture quality in log

mnraaron

I too have noticed this. The first time I view the picture in the log, its coming down very pixelated. (in jpg terms, it looks like either the jpg header information is being read wrong, or im only seeing part of the jpg data.) Doing a refresh on the page then brings up the corectly displayed image.

I dont know if this is an Internet Explorer bug, or something in the way the geocaching.com systems are manipulating the image file.

Is anyone seeing this behavior using Netscape?

In any event, its no big thing, just refresh the page after you see it for the first time.

-Centaur

Nah - it's something in the software that Geocaching uses to resize the images for display and thumbs. It's a one-time thing only for viewing the uploaded pics (I've never had it happen on subsequent views), and refresh fixes it. It also doesn't happen every time you view your picture for the first time. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

BTW - I wonder if it gets the thumbnail version of the picture and the display version of the picture confused. If the system is trying to display the thumbnail version (which is mandataed to 100 pixels wide) in the display version (which is mandated to 300 pixels wide), that would explain the "pixelization." Jeremy?

Thumbnail:

527856_200.jpg

This would be the image if it were stretched to fill 300 pixels:

24775_400.jpg

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

[This message was edited by Markwell on August 29, 2002 at 07:51 AM.]