Multiple logs by same cacher on same geocoin

Spoondoggled & Co.

Seasons greetings to you all! Best wishes for safe and fruitful seeking and hiding in 2012!

Quick question. We planted a Geocoin in Hawaii in 2009 that has eventually made it to Europe, specifically it is in France at the moment. Since the initial find, the same geocacher has logged it into and then removed it from several caches (ranging from about one tenth of a mile apart to slightly more) 41 times and all on the same day too. We've had to put our geocaching on hold due to life getting in the way right now and maybe we are out of touch, but is this a normal activity? When we would find a trackable, we always move it to a new cache then leave it alone for someone else to find.

We know everyone is really busy this time of year, but if someone sees this and can give us some insight on why someone would do that, we'd sure appreciate it.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=b7f39fba-b638-4113-92c8-b10018cb3a51

Happy trails!

Spoondoggled & Co.

Seasons greetings to you all! Best wishes for safe and fruitful seeking and hiding in 2012!

Quick question. We planted a Geocoin in Hawaii in 2009 that has eventually made it to Europe, specifically it is in France at the moment. Since the initial find, the same geocacher has logged it into and then removed it from several caches (ranging from about one tenth of a mile apart to slightly more) 41 times and all on the same day too. We've had to put our geocaching on hold due to life getting in the way right now and maybe we are out of touch, but is this a normal activity? When we would find a trackable, we always move it to a new cache then leave it alone for someone else to find.

We know everyone is really busy this time of year, but if someone sees this and can give us some insight on why someone would do that, we'd sure appreciate it.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=b7f39fba-b638-4113-92c8-b10018cb3a51

Happy trails!

Spoondoggled & Co.

I have a coin that was picked up by an airline pilot and he has been visiting it on the caches he finds while on the road. At this point the coin has racked up almost 130,000 miles. The map is something to behold. I take it that this cacher thinks he is doing you a favor by getting miles on your coin, and he is. Many times if I have a bunch of travelers I'll visit them on caches I do while traveling until I finally drop them. Either this cacher will continue to visit your coin for some time or eventually he will drop it. At least it is still in circulation, all my coins and travelers, with the exception of the one, have long disappeared into the trash bin or a personal collection.

personally as a coin owner I would be kinda annoyed by it too, but have seen a number of folks doing it and they are probably just thinking they are trying to help. As long as they do not keep it too long, seems a thing one will do to coins.

I will only have coins once in a while visit a cache...if its a memorable cache, or if I had them a bit long (by my standards) and wanted to let the CO know they are still out there. If I logged 20 caches that day, I would not take that coin to all 20, maybe one though.

It's called a "visited" log, and it can indeed get to be annoying. My purpose in releasing a coin into the wild was so that it could be placed in various caches, and more than one person could be involved in the moving of it.

The "visited" log was meant, I believe, for trackable owners for their own personal mileage tracking. I can see others picking up a traveller and logging that it visited a few caches, but it can get out of hand.

See my post on this thread in the Travel Bug forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=286671

I posted a note on the coin's page, asking when the current holder was going to drop it off somewhere. Obviously, that note was ignored and 4 more pages of "visited" have been logged.

:mad:

Edited by Pup Patrol

personally as a coin owner I would be kinda annoyed by it too, but have seen a number of folks doing it and they are probably just thinking they are trying to help. As long as they do not keep it too long, seems a thing one will do to coins.

I will only have coins once in a while visit a cache...if its a memorable cache, or if I had them a bit long (by my standards) and wanted to let the CO know they are still out there. If I logged 20 caches that day, I would not take that coin to all 20, maybe one though.

It's called a "visited" log, and it can indeed get to be annoying. My purpose in releasing a coin into the wild was so that it could be placed in various caches, and more than one person could be involved in the moving of it.

The "visited" log was meant, I believe, for trackable owners for their own personal mileage tracking. I can see others picking up a traveller and logging that it visited a few caches, but it can get out of hand.

I posted a note on the coin's page, asking when the current holder was going to drop it off somewhere. Obviously, that note was ignored and 4 more pages of "visited" have been logged.

I tend to 'visit' trackable into the caches I find while in possession of the trackable.

I always thought it was a good idea since it let's the owner know:

I still have the trackable.

I am aware that I have the trackable.

Your trackable is still moving, and gaining mileage.

I guess I could just contact someone at the destination, and mail it to them if you'd rather. :P

Finding a cache that is large enough and secure enough for a trackable isn't always an easy task.

Finding such a cache that is at least in the proper direction the trackable wants to go is even more difficult.

I only just recently discovered the "visited" log myself. And I have only just recently become properly aware of the need to choose caches carefully when placing travel bugs. It makes me sad when I think of all the cool travel bugs I put in risky caches. Live and learn. I imagine cachers will only slowly become aware of the benefits of logging only a few visits instead of a whole page of visits. Maybe we can come up with some sort of tutorial type paragraph to include on all our travel bug pages.

It is very likely they never saw your note. Once a trackable has been picked up, it can be dipped into a number of caches and dropped, all without visiting the trackable's page. The mover would not get a notification of your note unless they were also watching the trackable. Normally, cachers don't watch a trackable until it gets dropped, if they are going to watch it at all. An e-mail to the geocacher that is moving your trackable would be a much better method to use to get your preference known.

I tend to 'visit' trackable into the caches I find while in possession of the trackable.

I always thought it was a good idea since it let's the owner know:

I still have the trackable.

I am aware that I have the trackable.

Your trackable is still moving, and gaining mileage.

I guess I could just contact someone at the destination, and mail it to them if you'd rather. :P

Finding a cache that is large enough and secure enough for a trackable isn't always an easy task.

Finding such a cache that is at least in the proper direction the trackable wants to go is even more difficult.

Well hmmmm. Those are all valid reasons and I think it's good of the holder of the trackable to let the owner know of it's whereabouts. Great points! In this case there are 4 or 5 pages of those visits, all to caches within a very short distance of each other and spread out over a two week period of seeking.

Thinking about this in a little more depth, when the next geocacher takes it caching, conceivably that person could start the visited log process all over again to mostly the same caches on multiple cache locations if that person lives in the same area as the first person. More and more pages of visits to wade through and the locations becoming less interesting to follow because there are so many on top of each other. Does that make sense?

My niece lives in France and while she doesn't do geocaching, she has a friend that does... I was thinking of asking them to grab it if it gets close enough to their location and send it along in a brand new direction. I wonder if that would be cheating though?

Thanks for your thoughts, they are much appreciated!

It is very likely they never saw your note. Once a trackable has been picked up, it can be dipped into a number of caches and dropped, all without visiting the trackable's page. The mover would not get a notification of your note unless they were also watching the trackable. Normally, cachers don't watch a trackable until it gets dropped, if they are going to watch it at all. An e-mail to the geocacher that is moving your trackable would be a much better method to use to get your preference known.

Be VERY careful how you ask for the TB to be dropped, or you may find the cacher gets upset and doesn't bother to help the TB in it's journey... :(

I like the visited log for bugs I'm holding because I can "dip" them into relevant caches. I never dip it into every single cache I find because I think that's a little obnoxious but if I find a cache where the bug can't fit or safely be I visit it to the cache and if able I'll post pictures to that log and usually write why I felt the need to visit the bug to that cache under that log.

I just ignore the logs on my personal trackable items by people visiting every single cache they go to because I really don't care about them. I don't delete them but I'll scroll past to find actual legitimate logs or visits to caches that seem more interesting. I like looking at cache pages with pictures of where people have been with my bug if they aren't going to post pictures of my coin or bug to the the coin/bug page.

I just ignore the logs on my personal trackable items by people visiting every single cache they go to because I really don't care about them. I don't delete them but I'll scroll past to find actual legitimate logs or visits to caches that seem more interesting. I like looking at cache pages with pictures of where people have been with my bug if they aren't going to post pictures of my coin or bug to the the coin/bug page.

Good idea here about simply ignoring unless something seems particularly relevant‚ especially for pictures @ location – I wish there were some of those.

We weren't even aware of a visited log until we started to study the coin's journey. We actually starting geocaching in 2002 when our twins were little but didn't join anything official til a couple of years later. We'd like to get back into it at a more active level, as we've been really out of touch (obviously!).

Well, hopefully the thing will find higher altitude, then go back down to sea-level. Maybe that was a dumb goal to set for it, I dunno. :blink: We thought since we live at altitude in Colorado and dropped it right at sea-level in Hawaii it would be appropriate. It did follow that goal in British Columbia then shot straight to Europe where things seem to have become more vague from what we can tell.

Appreciate your thoughts/comments, all.

Ok,

You guys will get a kick out of this one! LMAO

I have been tracking a coin that was adopted over to me, since April of last year http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=2f92a53e-279a-408f-a5c8-250ee2975c8b

The coin is not only in the same state as I, but was just recently logged by the cacher (who has it in their possession), as visiting a cache I had just logged as found the day prior!! Hmm...

Think about that! The mission is to get as close to my home city as possible, so that I can pick it up. This coin was litterally right down the street from me!! Granted, the cache was to small to drop the coin in, but the owner is still taking it around and visiting other caches?

Ok, at least I know its in good hands right? Well ive posted a note on the mission page, and have even emailed them....no response!

Now after looking into its travel, heres another peculiar thing: the coin was originally suppose to come from texas (by its orig owner), but coincidentally it was first witnessef and moved by the same person who has it right now (not tge orig owner)????? Wow! Now, what am I missing here?

Chk it out for yourself at the above link.

All i can do is wait, and wait until its eventually dropped.

:)

Oh I'm glad I read this! I have been one of those people who grab and dip. I live in one country for a couple months so what I do when I find a trackable is keep it and visit locations with it during my stay and then when I leave one country I drop them off in the next country. I usually am good at letting the owner know/asking them if its ok that i will keep it for a month (I notify them if it would be longer) but to drop it off in another country (usually pretty far). But rarely do I get a reply!

So since I tell the owner this, and rarely hear back, should I be holding on to them for a big move, and visiting on the way....or should I just pick it up and then drop it off on the next one?

In other words....is it worth waiting a touch and have a few dips in order to make a grand move?

I'd say that this depends a lot on the goal listed on the trackable page (and hopefully the travel tag that the coin is carrying).

If you can make a grand move in the RIGHT direction, for example to the country that is in the goal, then I'd say YES, keep it a month or three.

If your move doesn't make any difference to the mission... I wouldn't keep it too long, perhaps approximately one month, but that's my personal opinion.

If the coin is in a race to get to somewhere quickly, unless you can do a grand move in the right direction, keep it moving as quickly as possible (preferably less than two weeks).

That's my personal opinion.