[FEATURE] Ability to turn off 'visited' option for owned TBs/Coins

JeePSer

I would like the ability to turn off the option of 'visited' for travel bugs or coins I own. I really dislike this feature and it is seriously overused. I want my TBs picked up and then dropped off, I do not want to see 4 pages of caches they visited. The practice of dipping TBs and coins was a problem before but since the new visited 'feature' was implemented it has really become a headache. I just spent 30 minutes deleting 5 pages of visited logs from a TB.

If Groundspeak refuses (again) to even consider this request, please at least make it easy to do a mass delete of logs for those of us who find this practice of visiting annoying. It would also be nice to be notified when a TB is being dipped so I don't have to visit all of my TB pages to spot that it is happening.

Thank you.

• Love 1

Would you rather have each Visited log be replaced by two logs (a Drop and a Retrieve)? Because that's what people did before Visited logs existed.

And sometimes those got all messed up. Forget to retrieve after dropping etc.

I prefer to not have notifications of my visited logs. I don't feel the need to micromanage my travel bugs as people take them cache to cache. I would prefer if they didn't do it with every single cache as I like there to be some meaning to why my bugs visit there but I can't control how other people do it.

Personally I like the visited log because I can easily "dip" bugs in caches relevant to the bug and attach pictures and comments to it as well after I'm done logging my caches. Not everyone uses it that way but I find it to be a handy tool.

Anyone know if GS will restore deleted TB logs if they are legitimate ones? Visiting is provided for that purpose by GS.

Not liking them would not likely be a valid reason for deletion. I can see not getting notifications of visits, but not deleting logs. I suspect we all know what the outcome of that will likely be.

I was wondering if simply allowing Discovery to function in the mileage count, then setting the status so that only note and discovery logs are possible by putting it in a collection as happens now with collectibles in the owners collection. I believe that there have been a few resulting in that state by accident, ie. not collectible but in collection AND out travelling. Thus causing logging problems. Deep down I suspect that releasing trackables is not really suited to the OP since they only want the logs THEY want.

Don't take that as a negative view, but the trackable community mostly doesn't do things that way, even though they mostly respect owners wishes when they are made clear. I fully support the request not to do so as included in the mission description on the page and in the attached mission tag. But most people simply grab the TB, read the number and do what they want.

Doug 7rxc

I would prefer not be notified too, but if it is the only way for me to know that someone is dipping my TB then so be it. Also, I know that in the past people dropped and retrieved, but, it wasn't as common place because it wasn't as easy to do - I didn't like it when that was done either. I have put on TB pages that I don't want them dipped, but, people do not read the TB pages and because of the ability to do a mass visit on every cache they do not stop to remove my TBs from that mass visit.

All I am asking for is the ability to request that my TBs not be included in 'visits' to caches where they may not have even been. If the visit option is turned off from these TBs it shouldn't impact the ability of the cacher who has it to still do a mass dip, but those marked as not dippable just would not be included in that - they would get the dropped off and retrieved options only.

If this enhancement was put in place it shouldn't impact those of you who are against it in any way shape or form but it would allow those who would prefer that our TBs not be brought on tour the option to elect that. This enhancement could be made transparent for those who do mass visits, it simply wouldn't post visit logs to the TBs page.

Based on a post elsewhere that I was just reading, it occurred to me that what might work best for this, would be simply to allow anyone viewing the TB (or even cache) pages to simply select which types of logs to show onscreen (setting could be set on page and saved similar to the miles/km switch. That would allow each person to decide what THEY wanted without bothering anyone else's wants/needs. Might be a useful tool when tracing trackables as well when they go astray... maybe. Either removing clutter from the page or in concentrating one's focus on certain types of logs. Just a thought... still don't support log deletions for no valid reason though.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc
allow anyone viewing the TB (or even cache) pages to simply select which types of logs to show onscreen (setting could be set on page and saved similar to the miles/km switch. That would allow each person to decide what THEY wanted without bothering anyone else's wants/needs. Might be a useful tool when tracing trackables as well when they go astray... maybe. Either removing clutter from the page or in concentrating one's focus on certain types of logs. Just a thought... still don't support log deletions for no valid reason though.

^ This. Make a filter, so I can view logs the way I wish.

There is an issue. I CAN and SHOULD delete logs that are wrong. If someone left their T-Spam switch turned on and made 10 pages of logs after placing my TB in a cache, those logs are not valid and can be removed. I'd know when it's next retrieved (assuming it ever turns up again). IF there were any Auto-Visit logs that included a cache photo, I would like to know about it -- BUT those logs create no notifications, so I'd have to review pages of logs to see if maybe the TB is in fact still in the Auto-Visiter's hand.

I could almost think that "Auto-Visit" is a method designed to auto-vanish Trackables. It mixes things up so hopelessly that once it's gone, there's little chance of ever tracking down the Trackable. So you buy another. Or you write to a hair-trigger cacher asking about all the T-Spam, and they say "Just For That I Threw It Away!" (or else they lost it a long time ago, either/or). A TB may be "replaceable" with a proxy (with mixed results), but the community is encouraged to rule a coin/tag proxy taboo. So you buy another.

Edited by kunarion

It would also be nice to be notified when a TB is being dipped so I don't have to visit all of my TB pages to spot that it is happening.

Thank you.

Please do not go back to email notification of every "visit" log.

Does at least the current holder get all those email notifications? Or are all "visit" notifications silent?

If they get no notice, the listed holder won't know they're Spamming the logs. If they do get them all, that might encourage the holder to shut off their email, or filter out email from Groundspeak. Either way, that's bad.

Edited by kunarion

I would like the ability to turn off the option of 'visited' for travel bugs or coins I own. I really dislike this feature and it is seriously overused. I want my TBs picked up and then dropped off, I do not want to see 4 pages of caches they visited.

Some (or even most) of the multi-page logs may be caused by one particular Smartphone App which doesn't play well with the Geocaching web site. Check this out:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=292016&view=findpost&p=4995007

IF the problem is an App designed to fill TB pages with logs, not the official App, can GS turn that off? They could turn off the selection on the web site, maybe disable the "visit" function, but the App could then be updated to do both the drop and retrieve automatically, and the problem's back. Perhaps these many-page visits are NOT in Groundspeak's direct control, they are a [FEATURE] of an unapproved App.

Edited by kunarion

I would like the ability to turn off the option of 'visited' for travel bugs or coins I own. I really dislike this feature and it is seriously overused. I want my TBs picked up and then dropped off, I do not want to see 4 pages of caches they visited.

Some (or even most) of the multi-page logs may be caused by one particular Smartphone App which doesn't play well with the Geocaching web site. Check this out:

http://forums.Ground...dpost&p=4995007

IF the problem is an App designed to fill TB pages with logs, not the official App, can GS turn that off? They could turn off the selection on the web site, maybe disable the "visit" function, but the App could then be updated to do both the drop and retrieve automatically, and the problem's back. Perhaps these many-page visits are NOT in Groundspeak's direct control, they are a [FEATURE] of an unapproved App.

As you seem to like to spread this one particular post of mine all over the place......let me tell exactly what happens with this particular app and auto-logging in regards to our experience. On c:geo (the phone app we use), there is a setting that can be checked (It is not automatically checked when the program is downloaded nor is it a default setting when updated) that allows the user to have all TBs currently listed in their inventory to visit every cache that is logged via the phone application. My hubby (unknown to me) checked this feature on his phone as he wanted a particular TB to visit the caches we visited and he does the phone logging. Unknownst to us at the time, it auto-logged all the TBs in our inventory, not just the one. Once I found out about the auto-logging of all the TBs and told him, he turned the feature off (I never had it turned on, on my phone). All the auto-loggings stopped. Yes, there is a setting on this app that will auto-log all TBs currently in your inventory (if it's not in inventory, it won't be logged) if logging from this app. However, it needs to be manually turned on in order for it to work. It doesn't "magically" auto-log TBs.

Please either disable this feature or adjust it so one can only do it with one's owned trackables.

I am not demanding interesting logs.

I'm not asking for a return to the old days, when one had to drop a trackable into a cache and then retrieve it as a separate action. The current method of clicking on the "visited" button when posting a cache log is fine.

I just wish that, if one is going to blithely dip my trackable into dozens and dozens (or 100 or more) caches, they have to do it manually. Why is that so much to ask?

I just wish that, if one is going to blithely dip my trackable into dozens and dozens (or 100 or more) caches, they have to do it manually. Why is that so much to ask?

Today I learned that the Official App allows the selection of "Visit All", which is handy if the Trackable Holder was out of data range during a cache run. The cacher could (in theory) physically place/remove Trackables in a hundred caches, and would then have a daunting task of logging them, except he can do that with the App, all at once. It's not a full drop/retrieve "dip" with notifications, but in that case, the logs are at least accurate. OK, it's still a whole bunch of logs...

Now if you "turn off" visits, there would also need to be a way for the above cacher to know that they are "off" for your Trackable. Otherwise, there are errors (at least he may see the logs didn't happen, and wonder if there's an App bug). The reason it's kind of a problem is, I can make a hundred Auto-Visits, then go to any or all of those logs and type something more, if there's a story for that Visit (add a photo, even). If the logs are Not Allowed by a setting, that would of course prevent people from editing the logs (hey, they might. Hope springs eternal).

Edited by kunarion

I was wondering if simply allowing Discovery to function in the mileage count, then setting the status so that only note and discovery logs are possible by putting it in a collection as happens now with collectibles in the owners collection. I believe that there have been a few resulting in that state by accident, ie. not collectible but in collection AND out travelling.

Doug 7rxc

Discovery logs have no geo-location associated with them, and thus cannot be used as a mileage tracker.

I have no issue with "visit" logs, as the TB continues too accumulate mileage, and more from cache to cache. What irks me is the "discovery" log, which serves no useful purpose for the TB owner.

I was wondering if simply allowing Discovery to function in the mileage count, then setting the status so that only note and discovery logs are possible by putting it in a collection as happens now with collectibles in the owners collection. I believe that there have been a few resulting in that state by accident, ie. not collectible but in collection AND out travelling.

Doug 7rxc

Discovery logs have no geo-location associated with them, and thus cannot be used as a mileage tracker.

I have no issue with "visit" logs, as the TB continues too accumulate mileage, and more from cache to cache. What irks me is the "discovery" log, which serves no useful purpose for the TB owner.

Really?

I don't cache near as much as earlier, as caches I'd favorite are further out.

That usually means I don't take trackables like I used to either.

Can't tell you the many appreciative emails received from TOs when I leave a Discover log (with a picture) of their property, so they at least know their trackable in that cache that's hasn't been logged in months because of it's location is still in play. :)

I have no issue with "visit" logs, as the TB continues too accumulate mileage, and more from cache to cache.

I do have an issue with "Visited" logs.

Rare is the person who lugs a packfull of children's toys cache-to-cache.

Instead, they are other's property held hostage sit at home (if they have 'em at all anymore...) and are logged into every cache found.

Without an occasional pic, I feel a visited log isn't accurate at all, since it could have gone missing months earlier, the code merely sitting in one's inventory...

• Helpful 1
Would you rather have each Visited log be replaced by two logs (a Drop and a Retrieve)? Because that's what people did before Visited logs existed.
But they didn't do it 50 times or more a day. And if it was a double workload I would bet the times it would be done would drop drastically
A lot of people use automated tools to post their logs. It isn't double the workload. It's a checkbox telling the automated tool to drop and retrieve trackables.