Are premium member only caches better?

Z3ROIN

Hi all,

I've only hidden one geocache so far and i've had some ideas for creative geocaches that are exciting which go beyond a simple hidden box.

I'm currently putting together a new geocache and amongst all the excitement i suddenly realised that it was costing a few quid and a decent amount of thought and preparation has gone into it, so this got me thinking, should i get a membership and make it membership only? Which further got me thinking, are premium member only geocaches generally better and more thought out?

Any thoughts welcome, cheers.

In my limited experience I have not personally found PMO caches to be 'better' overall then caches that are open to all finders.

I have found some excellent PMO caches, but I have also found a film can tossed under a bush as a PMO cache.

Listing a cache as PMO may help in preventing your cache from being stolen, but it does not guarantee this. Personally I feel that the location and how well the cache is hidden are better safeguards then simply limiting the number of people who can easily get the coordinates.

Hmm, th OP is a regular member, would he be able to then view a PMO cache of his? Anyone tried this yet?

I suppose that's why he asked:

Hi all,

I've only hidden one geocache so far and i've had some ideas for creative geocaches that are exciting which go beyond a simple hidden box.

I'm currently putting together a new geocache and amongst all the excitement i suddenly realised that it was costing a few quid and a decent amount of thought and preparation has gone into it, so this got me thinking, should i get a membership and make it membership only? Which further got me thinking, are premium member only geocaches generally better and more thought out?

Yes, only Premium Members can make a cache "PMO". It's one of the perks of Premium Membership.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=5

Where the problems have come in previously is when people created PMO caches, but then let their Premium Membership drop. The cache stayed as PMO, but the person couldn't access it themselves because they were no longer Premium Members.

5.3. Premium Membership Lapsed/Cancelled - Can't Change Premium Member Only Status of My Cache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=190

Thanks for your experienced replies, it seems that MO & PM caches are both of varying quality.

So one more thing: do you think that by buying a PM and making a cache PMO it will be less likely to get abused/muggled/trashed as it is only available to those who have paid a little for the privilege? The reason i ask is that when i placed my first cache i included a TB which cost about £15 to set up (it was a disposable camera with a TB sticker on it), and a normal member picked it up who only had about 2 finds under their belt, and much to my disappointment it just disappeared with no trace, no reply from emails or anything. I know that's the risk you take sometimes but just wanted your experience as Premium members before i went ahead and bought a premium membership.

Thanks

Edited by Z3ROIN

I once did a comparison of the survival of PMO caches v regular, this on my data from saved pocket queries from central Florida over an 8 year period. In that set of caches, PMO caches did have better survival rates.

It may be because they're caches that the cache owner cares more about and replace when they went missing, rather then demonstrating that they go missing less.

So one more thing: do you think that by buying a PM and making a cache PMO it will be less likely to get abused/muggled/trashed as it is only available to those who have paid a little for the privilege?
That depends on why a particular cache might get abused/muggled/trashed. Yes, PMO caches are a bit safer from the dabblers who discover geocaching, take a traveler or three from a cache, and vanish. Such dabblers are unlikely to buy a premium membership, and if they're with a premium member, then hopefully that premium member will supervise them. But PMO caches are no safer from muggles, animals, etc., except perhaps if the reduced traffic a PMO cache receives also reduces its exposure to muggles.

FWIW, there's a list of reasons cache owners have expressed for making their caches PMO on this Cacheopedia page:

http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Premium_Member_Only_cache

I think the PMO's that I've found were of a better quality, on average, than the regulars.

I think a PMO is more secure and handled better, all things being even. Lately when a cache of mine is compromised ( usually new cachers ) I make it PMO.....I don't recall ever having a problem with one of my PMO's.

I also had a cache that I needed to slow traffic on to keep it alive and I made it PMO.

That said, the PQ's, maps, etc. are more reason to have a PM account than dealing with PMO caches.

My experience says no. They are just owned by someone that for whatever reason wants to make them premium.

Same here. Most just want to keep basic members away, no real reason to be PMO hides. I enjoy the added benefits of being a PM, but none of my listings will ever be made PMO.

I did place 2 PMO's, for the purposes of keeping traffic down where cachers had to park on dead-end streets in quiet residential neighborhoods, and hoof off into public woods. One of them, I archived when it was still PMO, and it will forever be PMO, because I can't change it now. I actually tried. :lol:

Are they better? Generally, I'd say yes. But then again, I could show you a few LPC's and a keyholder on the back of a parking rules sign (not a great idea for a hide in Western NY) that are PMO. Why? Beats me.

An easy way to answer your question is to look at the number of favorites assigned to premium member caches versus non-premium member caches. Since only premium members can assign favorites, both types of caches will have been available to those rating them. If you see more favorite points assigned to the premium caches in your area, then "yes", premium caches are better. If not, then "no", premium cachers are not any better.

Most, if not all PMO caches come equipped with a concierge that will cater to your every whim while searching for the cache. He/she is not permitted to aid you in the find but should you need a donut or coffee he/she'll get it for you. Forgot a pen? Forgot tweezers? Fear not, the concierge has your back. Want your picture take with the cache, no problem, forgot your camera? No problem, It'll be emailed to you before you get back to your car. A micro on a bench, what could be better then to sit down, feel around and get a back massage while you search?

Are premium member only caches better? You'd better believe it, just don't ask me about my double platinum account, after all this is a family friendly forum :D

As others have pointed out, most MoCs are for security theater. Around here, the overwhelming majority are poorly done LPC's.

+ 1

It's as if the CO thought the MoC trumped the fact their hide's on private property. By not including everyone, the odds of it being reported/problems with the property owner drop considerably.

The audit function, perfect for the anal-retentive micro-managers (literally and... :D ) who have control issues, is another reason a MoC may be placed. The audit function is not the security fix many think it is.

When ammo cans were disappearing in this area, it was a premium member stealing them. Had the hides been made MoC, he could still easily go about his little agenda. Luckily they weren't and WE were the ones who caught him - basic members at the time.

Most, if not all PMO caches come equipped with a concierge that will cater to your every whim while searching for the cache. He/she is not permitted to aid you in the find but should you need a donut or coffee he/she'll get it for you. Forgot a pen? Forgot tweezers? Fear not, the concierge has your back. Want your picture take with the cache, no problem, forgot your camera? No problem, It'll be emailed to you before you get back to your car. A micro on a bench, what could be better then to sit down, feel around and get a back massage while you search?

Are premium member only caches better? You'd better believe it, just don't ask me about my double platinum account, after all this is a family friendly forum :D

All that for only $30 a year!! That's a steal. Will the concierge finish signing the log for you if your hand starts cramping up mid sign?

do not think Premium Member only caches are better either. I have had I think 4. I had to do one because it required a pocket query to know if you qualify. Another one or two were in a spot I did not want someone brand new to the hobby to search for. And a last one had some personal info of mine in it and wanted it to require a membership to see that cache vs just a regular google search.

However, none of them are based on quality and have yet to see any done for that reason.

Edited by lamoracke

In my own Geocaching area, we have had three PMO caches, all three were/are small/nanos, the two I found were remarkably unremarkable and the third was in an equally unremarkable location, now archived.

So, no, PMO caches are not necessarily better caches, they could be but are generally not.

My search area is made up of about 60 caches, two are PMO at this time.

We have placed 34 caches, of which 32 are still active. Only one is a Premium Member cache. That's because the container is one of a kind and hand-crafted. I guess we could duplicate it if we had to, but we thought making it a premium cache might increase the chance of it surviving longer. Also, it's in a spot that has very limited parking, although the cache itself is on public parkland and placed with permission. It's been found 29 times and has three favorite awards.

Edited by The VanDucks

Disappointed and yes, I'm not a PM. Just back from visiting family in E TN and wanted to introduce them to GC. I knew of 3 caches within Big Ridge State Park (public land) from previous visits. When I looked them up to show family how to do it, found that they had been moved to the PMO category. I think this is wrong on a couple levels. First, it is public land and the caches are there by permission of the Park. In speaking with the Ranger, she agreed there should be no "fee" to play in the park. Second, what is the point of PMO'ing a cache if the intent is to grow the sport? On previous visits, my son & I'd discovered all 3 caches within the park. Now, theoretically, they are for some reason "off limits" to lowly non-members. In looking thru the messages, there seems a general concensus that PMOs aren't typically better than non, nor are they less likely to be muggled or vandalized. I do agree with the one comment I saw about the appearance of getting a "little elitist."

Second, what is the point of PMO'ing a cache if the intent is to grow the sport?

Never proceed from a false assumption. I'm sure Groundspeak wants the sport to grow as it increases the revnue stream, but some cachers are quite content with the hobby not growing any further. Some would even argue it is too big now.

Anyway, back to the original topic:

I don't think PMO caches are any better than regular caches. In the rare case where my caches were PMO it was done primarily to limit traffic to the cache site, especially when the cache was new.

If a PM was really expensive I could buy the idea that it keeps the casual cacher away, but the price of a membership is hardly a barrier to entry to someone who has already shown they can purchase a GPSr or a smartphone.

Most of the "premium member only" caches that I have found have been lame. I've never even given the thought of hiding a cache for the elite...more power for the people!!!!!

Hi all,