Cremains in sealed Bison Tube?

W4G_SOTAGoat

I want to take a small amount of cremains from my dog and make a travelbug to send her around the world the since she loved the outdoors. I want to take a SMALL amount to put in a bison tube, and then pack the tube with JB weld to pretty much permanently seal it. I would also use Locktite Red on the screw on top and some JB Weld around the joint. Attached would be a laminated picture of her and a note indicating the mission.

Would this be an acceptable TB or would it creep out people?

Thanks.

Edited by Clayshooter
your sealing process.

Some companies mixed the ashes into acrylic resin, for portability, to make keychains or pendants or whatever. Considering the sort of people likely to take and keep Travel Bugs, I'd place a photo at most. Some people will be less than respectful than you may intend with your pet's "cremains". A whole lot less. Since it's best to really not care much when you lose any particular Travel Bug, what message are you sending about your pet?

Edited by kunarion

I do remember moving a TB with attached bison tube that was clearly labeled that it contained human cremains of a US Navy sailor. I picked it up in Bend and I dropped it in Seaside. Someone after me took it into his favorite bar in Seaside.

It's a lot less creepy than the plastic box I found this year that I thought was a geocache but had a clear plastic bag inside with about a tablespoon of cremains inside.

I do remember moving a TB with attached bison tube that was clearly labeled that it contained human cremains of a US Navy sailor. I picked it up in Bend and I dropped it in Seaside. Someone after me took it into his favorite bar in Seaside.

It's a lot less creepy than the plastic box I found this year that I thought was a geocache but had a clear plastic bag inside with about a tablespoon of cremains inside.

So it seems that peoples' and pets' ashes are traveling all over the caching community. Here I thought you must have psychological issues to pass around your beloved's ashes to total strangers. I stand corrected.

uh-huh [...] That actually makes me even more concerned about your sealing process.

What's wrong with the sealing process? The OP is attempting to seal the tube from accidental opening. It won't keep the tube closed if someone absolutely wants to intentionally expose themselves to the contents and decides to cut the tube open with a hacksaw, but it will keep the lid from being twisted off.

Since it's best to really not care much when you lose any particular Travel Bug, what message are you sending about your pet?

Trackable owners are encouraged to avoid releasing anything they are not willing to lose. That automatically indicate that all TB owners don't care about the objects they release. When a pick up a TB no matter what it's attached to, my first thought has never been "the owner doesn't care about this item because they made it a TB."

So it seems that peoples' and pets' ashes are traveling all over the caching community. Here I thought you must have psychological issues to pass around your beloved's ashes to total strangers. I stand corrected.

People do all sorts of things with ashes, ranging from crushing them into diamonds to stuffing them into a teddy bear*. Just because someone chooses to do something with ashes that you wouldn't do is no reason to judge them.

I remember reading about a TB that contains a canister of human ashes and has a spoon attached so they could be spread by cachers.

Considering the sort of people likely to take and keep Travel Bugs, I'd place a photo at most.

A photo of the ashes.ph34r.gif

EDIT: Corrected link

*Links are provided to demonstrate these services exist and are not intended to advertise these companies.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

People do all sorts of things with ashes, ranging from crushing them into diamonds to stuffing them into a teddy bear*. Just because someone chooses to do something with ashes that you wouldn't do is no reason to judge them.

I remember reading about a TB that contains a canister of human ashes and has a spoon attached so they could be spread by cachers.

I didn't mean that people don't do various things, sorry for the confusion. I already pointed out that I've grown, I've been informed and now understand. My mind has opened, I'm at peace, and all I feel is love for every living thing. Wait... ALSO dead things, of course.

With so many ways to lose Trackables, including having them stolen by neighborhood punks, I originally thought it would be a bad idea to place one's beloved's ashes, and you'd be asking for more heartbreak later. Even when someone's simply grabbed it and is holding it for several months too long. I've learned that that's fine. And three people came here to specify that they'd move a TB along, which is cool (you would kinda expect to NOT see a lot of replies “I'd put it in my shoebox full of stolen TBs”).

I once thought people might show some respect for the dead, if they actually cared about them, and not hand the remains to strangers. “Here's Fluffy's Bones. Don't worry, they're burnt.” See, that's why I visit this forum, to find out that some people will shove the ashes in my face “Here you go! Better take good care of this, bucko. And pass it on!”, and that's ...a good thing...

My first reaction to finding a TB labeled “This is a dead body!! MU-hah-ha-ha!!”, would be shock. Somewhat grossed out. Disbelief. If that means I'm “judging the TB owner”, so be it, because I'll have the same reaction every time I find one of those things. But I guess it's fair game to judge the TB finder, because when people do something, it's always great. Yay!

A photo of the ashes.ph34r.gif

Better yet, a photo of the happy, living dog.

This thread and replies are all about The Dead Dog. I understand the OP's need to tell the world that the dog is gone. That's part of the grieving porcess. But my suggestion is to instead celebrate the life of the pet. Keep the ashes, spread the ashes, let the dog go. Send instead photos of the the dog as TBs, telling how much you loved the animal while it was alive, stories, happy memories. When people pick up your TB, and I think it's much better for them to see/think "Cute Puppy". NOT "It's creepy, gross, cool-dead-body".

Edited by kunarion

I would say that remains do not make good TBs for the following reasons:

1) They could get lost.

2) They could get stollen

3) They could get broken

4) Geocaching is a family sport, and you don't know who will pick up the bug.

Instead, perhaps you could laminate a picture of your pup and send that out? Or maybe hide a cache in your dogs honor?

I'm very sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, sweet puppy.

I think it is a nice idea, as long as you can take the time to do it properly and can live with the results, good or bad.

The first thing to remember is that a lot of TB's go missing, so don't send off your only memories of a beloved pet that you cannot afford to lose, if you want to send out ashes then perhaps only sending out a small amount might be appropriate? You still have something at home and part of your pet can go travelling. If not then perhaps doing something in her memory like an appropriate avatar (a similar type toy dog) or appropriate charity token (all the various pet charities, guide dogs, RSPCA, etc...) or putting out a cache in her memory instead somewhere appropriately meaningful.

Secondly, remember that you are essentially sending out the remains of a creature, so make doubly and triply sure to have it sealed and marked as such - make sure the container will survive and not crack open, make sure the lid is sealed properly (plus I would tape up the edge to make it obvious and stop someone thinking it is just screwed on tightly and forcing it), and make sure it is marked *clearly* as to what it is inside - not everyone will be happy handling it, so make sure they can easily see what it is and give them the choice.

I like the idea, and would personally make more of an effort to give it some meaningful travels compared to a small toy or something with little back story or meaning behind it that I may leave behind. At the same time there are others out there who will want nothing at all to do with something of this sort, but with all precautions taken, it is a nice thing to do.