User with longest geostreak?

geocat_

I am just about ready to log my 1 year geostreak and then am looking forward to never doing anything close to it again! I stumbled across a user named kablooey who has a streak nearly 8 1/2 times that long. As of today he is at 3081 consecutive days with a find. This just blew my mind! I personally know a cacher, tomturtle, who has a 1301 day streak. I started wondering if anyone knows who has the longest geostreak? Just a bit curious.

Edited by geoCATing

It's quite an achievement.

However, having said that, who is to say that the person didn't do 5 caches one day and signed each log a different day, or when logging the caches, they logged them on different days, even though they were found the same day. I know geocachers who also fill in their calendar on their statistics using this method.

Not saying this person did that, i'm just saying... <smile>

I live in an area where this would be impossible for me to do

1.) The distance between caches are to great (except for all those that i own, which are all in my area). I would be spending too much time and gas money trying to achieve the goal

2.) I am not retired. I work for a living

Congrats to the geostreaker who has achieved such an amazing achievment. I wish i could have the time and money to do it.

Pretty sure Night-Hawk will take second place behind Kablooey.

Longest Streak-1757 consecutive days with finds from 03/02/2007 to 12/22/2011

I have cached with him a little bit and have no doubt that this is valid streak. He lives in a very cache dense area where new listings of all kinds are published daily. I have heard stories of him dashing out of the house just before or after midnight when the weather or forecast is not exactly prime caching conditions.

It's quite an achievement.

However, having said that, who is to say that the person didn't do 5 caches one day and signed each log a different day, or when logging the caches, they logged them on different days, even though they were found the same day. I know geocachers who also fill in their calendar on their statistics using this method.

I live in an area where this would be impossible for me to do

1.) The distance between caches are to great (except for all those that i own, which are all in my area). I would be spending too much time and gas money trying to achieve the goal

2.) I am not retired. I work for a living

Congrats to the geostreaker who has achieved such an amazing achievment. I wish i could have the time and money to do it.

He also works. He just commutes long distance. It's a cache dense area too.

Well, I know one person in Oregon doing that. That person is working on a 1 year challenge. Plus, deleting old log and log it with a new date. :blink:

Edited by SwineFlew

Not funny. You clearly don't know kablooey.

We had a rather intense thread on our local forums recently when he discovered that someone else had done that one one of his caches.

If kablooey says he has done it, then he has.

I can't imagine how dense the area must be for a streak that long.

You don't have to imagine, just take a look at San Jose, Ca, up the peninsula towards San Francisco, Ca and the east side of the bay up towards Fremont, Ca. and you will get a good idea. One thing that helps him is there are very few PMO caches, he is not a premium member. Now Portland, OR or Seattle, WA would be a bit more difficult for a regular member. The other thing that helps is that he does not go do killer runs on caches, just one or two a day, at most just a few.

We enjoyed caching with kablooey when we took part in the Yosemite CITO a couple months ago. He seems like a low key, stand up sort of guy. In fact, we had no idea of his streak until others in our group mentioned it. It seems he has a life, too, because he left early to be at a Scrabble tournament in the Bay area the next day. We got a chuckle out of the fact he connected us with a log he'd read on a cache he'd planned on doing on a Hawaii trip. Small world.

We had a rather intense thread on our local forums recently when he discovered that someone else had done that one one of his caches.

boy mr fizzy............it doesn't take much for you to get those panties of yours all up in a bunch.

Edited by EXMAN

boy mr fizzy............it doesn't take much for you to get those panties of yours all up in a bunch.

boy mr exman.......... it doesn't take much for you to make a totally unnecessary post.

Edited by knowschad

boy mr exman.......... it doesn't take much for you to make a totally unnecessary post.

I'm betting a mod brick is coming his way.

right back at ya, schad

What is sad is that there are so many fakes, phonies and frauds in this sport that when someone has a legit accomplishment it is automatically suspect. Fizzy knows Kablooby and his standing up for him doesn't mean he has he has his "panties in bunch" , it means that he believes that his accomplishment doesn't deserve question.

Kablooy's streak is not an accomplishment that I would ever strive for. Streaks are not why I geocache. But apparently the streak is important to Kablooy. The people who know him are right to set the record straight.

What is sad is that there are so many fakes, phonies and frauds in this sport that when someone has a legit accomplishment it is automatically suspect. Fizzy knows Kablooby and his standing up for him doesn't mean he has he has his "panties in bunch" , it means that he believes that his accomplishment doesn't deserve question.

Kablooy's streak is not an accomplishment that I would ever strive for. Streaks are not why I geocache. But apparently the streak is important to Kablooy. The people who know him are right to set the record straight.

That is exactly what I was trying to say! :ph34r:

Well, I know one person in Oregon doing that. That person is working on a 1 year challenge. Plus, deleting old log and log it with a new date. :blink:

That is really just pathetic IMO. I enjoy the numbers part of this game as much as anyone but it's not really about the numbers at all. For me it is a measure of dedication and perseverance. My silly little geostreak stands at 365 days which I proudly celebrated with my 12 year old nephew on Christmas day. In doing this I am helping him understand not only the beauty of the sport (nature, CITO, etc) but the importance of setting goals for oneself, mostly important in things other than geocaching rolleyes.gif

The truly sad thing about anyone cheating on their cache stats is that they only cheat themselves out of an honest accomplishment. There aren't any substantial prizes, cash payouts, blue ribbons, etc. except those we give ourselves. On occasion a local geogroup might also award those prizes or ribbons, or have a thread about accomplishments in a local forum. I suspect that the locals know who isn't being honest, and react accordingly.

Which means the only one the cheater is dishonest with is the man/woman/dog who looks back at him in the mirror. And if you are dishonest with your geocaching activity, what else in your life isn't quite right either? :unsure:

Sad, pathetic, unimpressive.

/soapbox

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion about this particular accomplishment and those who keep a streak alive because it matters to them. Good for them, they seem to be having FUN!

Edited by wimseyguy

However, having said that, who is to say that the person didn't do 5 caches one day and signed each log a different day,...

If you knew kablooey, you would know this to be unlikely. I once took a group out to find the Final of one of my Puzzle caches, that was particular hard to find due to dense tree cover and other nearby obstructions. Kablooey refused to log a Find on the Listing because he had not actually taken the time to solve it (even though it was pretty elementary by HIS standards).

He's a pretty scrupulous guy, all in all.

edit to correct spelling.

Edited by Touchstone

"Kablooy's streak is not an accomplishment that I would ever strive for. Streaks are not why I geocache. But apparently the streak is important to Kablooy. The people who know him are right to set the record straight."

I didn't think there was a need to set the record straight. I clearly said, and i quote...

"It's quite an achievement."

"Not saying this person did that, i'm just saying... <smile>"

"Congrats to the geostreaker who has achieved such an amazing achievment. I wish i could have the time and money to do it."

Yes, i did explain there are alternative ways of manipulating your stats to achieve this streak, but it didn't say that person did it.

Edited by GeoLobo

I had some good advice early in my streak that helped me decide to go for the one year goal. I had a cacher tell me at an event that if I was even considering going for it to do it now since it would only get more difficult after I started cleaning out my home area. I also, as mentioned above, decided to start holding off on a few in case of bad weather or some other unexpected emergency. Now, having made my one year streak, I have the advantage of this "reserve" and am looking forward to extending my streak if even for a bit longer. I am quite relieved that I don't HAVE to find one every day to keep my streak alive, haha!

He doesn't cheat and he himself is against cheaters. In our local Geocaching Chapter he has blasted another cacher for doing what you guys think what he might be doing. If Kablooey says he found one or more a day for 8 or more years then he did.

That is really just pathetic IMO. I enjoy the numbers part of this game as much as anyone but it's not really about the numbers at all. For me it is a measure of dedication and perseverance. My silly little geostreak stands at 365 days which I proudly celebrated with my 12 year old nephew on Christmas day. In doing this I am helping him understand not only the beauty of the sport (nature, CITO, etc) but the importance of setting goals for oneself, mostly important in things other than geocaching rolleyes.gif

This.

Very this.

I'm about to complete my 366 (unique) consecutive days challenge, and while at first it was more about the numbers, it became more about the task, about the motivation to complete a personal goal, among numerous other motivators.

My intent was always also to leave it at 366 - it's not about continuing some ludicrously long streak (which is nonetheless quite impressive!). I just wanted to have 366 unique days as my longest streak in my stats. I know I'll never hit that again, so the 366 will serve as a reminder to me that I did see the race through to the end. I started March 1st last year, and will be completing day #366 on February 29th 2012; and for fun (and added challenge), logging the 365-day challenge cache as my find #1337 :P (the latter required an element of self-control as well, not caching just for sake of caching and increasing numbers, but selectively seeking caches and valuing each one to a higher degree than otherwise, so I wouldn't overshoot the target # - adds a whole other dynamic to the consecutive days challenge)

About the numbers? Sure, perhaps. About more than just numbers? Definitely.

Edited by thebruce0

Nicely said smile.gif My streak ended at 400 days. I'll never come close again either but like you said, it is nice to look back and think of all the fun and perseverance it represents! I remember one day during an ice storm last winter. I was looking for an easy PnG due to the extreme weather, something I could grab on my way home from work. I found a 1/1 LPC. After I arrived I realized the "D" was going to be a bit higher as the LP was encased in about 1/2 inch of ice mad.gif It took me about 10 minutes of kicking to finally loosen enough of the ice to make the grab. Of course, I spent about half this time picking myself back up from the icy ground and trying to see through the raindrops on my glasses laugh.gif

However, having said that, who is to say that the person didn't do 5 caches one day and signed each log a different day,...

If you knew kablooey, you would know this to be unlikely. I once took a group out to find the Final of one of my Puzzle caches, that was particular hard to find due to dense tree cover and other nearby obstructions. Kablooey refused to log a Find on the Listing because he had not actually taken the time to solve it (even though it was pretty elementary by HIS standards).

He's a pretty scrupulous guy, all in all.

edit to correct spelling.

I have a funny story with Kablooey. I was on the computer where I live and I get a message that he DNFd a puzzle that was just outside the gate. I ran downstairs, grabbed the cache and handed it to him. Told him it's not a DNF now. Then went back upstairs. He left the DNF but added another log that he found it. I know it was slightly off subject. But you mentioned his name. Edited by jellis

great thread..

I think it is a personal thing, just dont compare your score with others,

I am on my 166 day today, and wow it is still funny, sure I can call it any day I like,

just dont feel like it yet.

It is allready getting harder for me, I did kind of "empty" the area near my self and near my work,

so now I drive a little longer arround on my way to work or when going home, it is great I see alot new stuff.

I have been very close to miss a day, but found that one needed cache a little bit before 24hr.

most days it is no close calls, just fun and a good excuse for a trip out.

last night was a close call too, alot of stuff just went not as planned.. a few DNF, late to work, late to home,

wife got other plans, I needed to stay home with kids, wife back at 22hr, me out the door 3 sec later,

from 2200-2250 looking hard for that one needed cache !!

3 others found it the SAME day.. how hard could it be, but another DNF !! so I was a bit nervous,

but I found another one at 2300, hurry home to get some sleep..

HAHA I made it again.. it was great..

My personal goal is 222 days, if that is possible, I can log a 222 day challenge,

and then I will see if I go for the 366 days.. then I stop, I guess :-)

---

another thing !

a few days ago I did find a wrong cache container at right location, the correct cache was gone !

so offcourse I had to change my log from found to DNF !!

lucky me, I had 3 other finds that day, so no big deal when it come to the steak :-)

imagine big time fustration if that was the only find that day...

so my point is, if you want to be VERY sure.. find at least 2 pr day.. not just one ..

you cant redo a day, the time machine do not exist.

Edited by OZ2CPU

kablooey found two of my puzzle caches today :)

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out any of your other puzzles. Maybe I need to ask you for some hints...

Coincidentally, I'm working on one of your puzzles (Coast to Coast) and am stuck as well. I live in the same town as teamajk so I've been working on a lot of puzzles lately.

Kablooey is starting over. He forgot. Can you believe it? Log from KNIGHT.RIDER on 9/14 "19:09. Consecutive Day 1.

Oops, I forgot to find a cache yesterday." Integrity, thy name is Kablooey. I tip my hat to you sir.

"Longest Streak 3712 consecutive days with finds from 07/16/2003 to 09/12/2013"

Out of all the ways that could be done, that is one of the better ones. Obviously, a "worst case scenario" (accident or illness) might have ended it. And that long into something, it might have taken over one's life. But to simply forget . . . it is a mark of both integrity and balance.

It is probably the only time that I will ever have a current streak longer than his. But that is no longer the case so everything is right in the world again. And although I generally am a reverse-numbers snob and cannot imagine wanting to cache every day, I have to join in tipping my hat and raising my walking stick. Tonight, when I break out a Pliny the Elder IPA, I will make single toast to a true gentleman of this game.

Kablooey is starting over. He forgot. Can you believe it? Log from KNIGHT.RIDER on 9/14 "19:09. Consecutive Day 1.

Oops, I forgot to find a cache yesterday." Integrity, thy name is Kablooey. I tip my hat to you sir.

"Longest Streak 3712 consecutive days with finds from 07/16/2003 to 09/12/2013"

Wow. Well I guess at least the pressure is off.

Hey EXMAN you got that right, just get Fizzy going on FTFs and you will see him IMPLODE !!!! LOL

Scubasonic