paper caching

twohappypeople

is it possible to print the geocache pages in a query with one click so I can do 'offline' geocaching? I can take a laptop with me while geocaching, I prefer papers. Or can I download the webpages?

I consider everything of a geocache as interesting, the coördinates, the pictures, the spoiler pictures, the story, the map. It is more fun to find a cache and know the story about and that with a nice lay out. What I do know is: go to a page of cache and print it. Before I go on holiday I have to print several pages. This is way to much effort. I just want a one click solution.

The one click solution that I found is downloading the locations in a .loc file. But that's not satisfying me. I just want everything of a cache page in a nice lay out, not just the coördinates.

Can I download geocaches to a Nokia N97 Mini?

I don't want to buy a gps that is ready for paperless geocaching. Those things cost 350 euro or more?

Ideal would be an Ipad with 3G connection :-).

Edited by twohappypeople

I don't know of any way to print multiple caches at the same time. There is an official Geocaching app that will run on your iPad though. That's a convenient way to access cache listings in the field.

My research indicated the Geocache Navigator will run on your phone, but I'm not familiar with either your phone or the app so you will need to visit the linked website and work out the details.

I want the spoiler pictures and the encrypted hint just like that. It's up to me if I want to use it. It's not fun walking 5 kilometers and not finding a geocache because it's impossible without the spoiler picture. I don't want to spend 5 minutes spending on decrypting the hint. All the preparation of the caches before going on holiday takes me hours (printing, downloading, converting to pdf, downloading the spoiler picture) while it could be different if the website would fit my needs.

Edited by twohappypeople

I use paper for caching a lot. I don't do PQs or anything like that and often cache with someone who doesn't look at the site. I've also done it for a long trip where there would be no internet or phone access.

I cut and paste the cache pages into word with any relevant info that I want on there (hints, specific pictures or just notes I put in there).

I've done several that way, too, actually carrying the printed cache listing with me in its entirety. Sometimes it's just nice to have, especially when it's not a png with only one feasible hiding spot at gz.

We recently got a Windows 7 phone, however, an HTC Trophy, and its Geocaching app is wonderful. It seems to be dead-on with GPS, and we can also look at the cache info whenever we want, as well as finding all the caches in a given area. I'm a newbie, but I'm impressed! :)

If you can't find a Symbian app that does what you want on your phone, then another option would be to get a used Palm PDA. Cachemate seems to be the PalmOS app of choice, although I haven't used it.

The tough requirement is going to be the photos. You can download everything else as part of a Pocket Query, but the photos aren't included in the PQ data. The smartphone apps can download photos, but that assumes that you have a data connection in the field (or that you plan ahead and visit the individual cache listings in advance to download the photos while you have a data connection).

well, for the moment I print 4 pages on 1 and when I miss something I go home. That's the best solution for the moment for me. I also print a google map sattelite view. That's great to orientate and replaces the topographic gps like a Garmin Dakota. On holiday that's something else, I don't have a printer on holiday :-( so there the need for paperless caching gets higher. I can prepare everything on paper before I leave on holiday but that makes geocaching a burden and not a pleasure. Because I really have to check everything very good that I didn't miss something and I don't know exactly where we will be geocaching there's also a 'spontaenous' factor involved.

Iphone is not so expensive, you can buy a second hand for about 150-200 euro. And a data plan of 20 euro/month for 2 gig.

I think the more things you want, the more difficult it gets to have them all on paper, or at least on only a few papers. I hate carrying a whole bunch of papers around and shuffling and sorting through them.

I haven't done this approach a lot, but I have used easyGPS a couple of times just to print something. I'll type the cache name or the GC code, then maybe copy/paste the description and copy/paste the hint. And you can't forget the coordinates! :) If something gets too long, then I start running into problems.

I hate having to go back and look for something, but I also enjoy trying to find it "on my own", without hints or spoiler pictures. I have used hints when I'm just not smart enough to find anything. I've used spoiler pictures too.

I guess what helps is you have cell service and 3G/4G or whatever and a good data plan. If get service, then you can look up the cache and not have to go all the way home, just to go all the way back because you think you've figured it out.

As far as paper goes, I guess just copypasta into a word processing program of your choice. Good luck!