events

I mean local events, like a meet and greet, not big events like block party or geowoodstock.

Doesn't matter, small or large, the purpose of an event is to bring people together that share a common interest. As to how to start the converstion, you don't always need to. Sometimes it's useful just to stand in the midst of others having a conversation like you are a part of it and when someone says something that you have an opinion on or have experience with, just interject a comment. At that point others will engage you in the conversation.

All of this is of course what you would do in any social situation with a lot of people. Just be yourself and be friendly and if you want to be a part of something, butt in...

Edited by FobesMan

Talk to other people about geocaching?

Yes, but how do you start a conversation?

Hi, how are you? My name is TheCacheSeeker.

It seems to flow from there.

Better yet, "Hi, how are you? My name is Dave Ulmer."

Probably get a much more lively conversation if you said "Hi, how are you? My name is Jeremy Irish."

Probably get a much more lively conversation if you said "Hi, how are you? My name is Jeremy Irish."

"Lively" is one word for it, yes.

Ha! Around here you would get a lot of notice if you said "hi, I am NBJ ..." but of course we all know him already so it would only cause a mild beating. :anicute:

In reality I simply walk up to others at the event and introduce myself. Seems to work well, although I am not really a fan of events.

At most events you have a name tag to wear. I put my caching name on it and my regular name.

Then I look for a group of people standing around talking and walk over and start listening to what they say. (Many times they're discussing a puzzle cache or a difficult cache and you will learn something or pick up a hint.) 9 times out of 10 someone will introduce themselves to you or comment that they have seen your name on a cache they've done.

The conversation flows from there.

Also many people bring trackables to (A)be discovered or (B)to be swapped and picked up to move. Bring pencil and paper. :)

At the pseudo-event I was involved in "wait wait don't take the picture" worked well for me for breaking the ice.

At a real meet and greet event usually making culturally sensitive eye contact (not too much and not too little) and saying, "Hi," works well. Followed by name. Usually then you can associate the cacher you are talking to some mutual caches you have found or caches of the other person you have found and thusly a conversation has started.

There are any of a number of ways of breaking the ice at an event and making sure that you will be remembered. Here are a few that spring to mind:

• Walk up to somebody and state that you think we are littering when we leave caches around, and state that you trash them out when you find them.
  • Mention that you love virtuals because you never need to leave the house.
  • Casually mention that you work for the bomb squad.
  • Wander over to the trackables table and start pocketing the geocoins, while you talk about your huge collection.
  • Proclaim loudly that PMO caches are elitist.

Last event, I met some one by telling them I wanted to touch their jeeps (travelers) LOL

The first event I went to, it was a little lonely but I introduced myself to the ones that were interested, the hosts and got my name put on a PAF list. The second one (out of town) finished with dinner at a restaurant where we sat with another couple and have become good friends since. Whenever we go to that town, we look them up and cache together. The third event, I had begun to recognize people and associating their caching names with them. Hey - I did that FTF night cache with your group, it was to dark to see you then, but nice to meet you in the daytime. That kind of thing...

Really the best way is to walk up and introduce yourself and where you are from. After a few events, you get to know people and create friendships and caching buddies. If you know of some interesting caches to do, ask if they've done them and go from there. Walk around a share an interesting travel bug or geocoin - Hey do you want to discover this?

I have found most geocachers in my area to be very friendly, outgoing and a little whacky just like myself.

For events with a suitable outdoor area, I have always enjoyed the 'What is YOUR GZ?' activity.

Participants are given irrigation flags (which they can put their names on).

Participants are then given a set of co-ordinates, and place their flag at whatever location their GPSr indicates is GZ.

The distribution of the flags is usually interesting to say the least.

I mean local events, like a meet and greet, not big events like block party or geowoodstock.

Doesn't matter, small or large, the purpose of an event is to bring people together that share a common interest. As to how to start the converstion, you don't always need to. Sometimes it's useful just to stand in the midst of others having a conversation like you are a part of it and when someone says something that you have an opinion on or have experience with, just interject a comment. At that point others will engage you in the conversation.

All of this is of course what you would do in any social situation with a lot of people. Just be yourself and be friendly and if you want to be a part of something, butt in...

Well, it seems that in large events there are planned activities to do, but the purpose of smaller ones is for meeting the caches in your area.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I've been to three events, a CITO, Block Party, and a regular event. I want to meet and talk to cachers who found my caches, found caches that I found, and whose caches I found, but don't know how to exactly.