Searching Archived Caches

LazyK

No, that would not be a good idea, in my opinion. Many land managers require that all evidence of a archived geocache must be removed from the website. I've placed several caches where I've had to sign a binding agreement which contains my promise to do this. One purpose of archiving a cache is so that it doesn't show up on search results. Similarly, when someone places a cache without permission, and the land manager complains to geocaching.com, TPTB will archive the cache so that it disappears from view.

You can still see your own cache finds and hides, even if archived, and you can also access other archived caches by looking through someone else's find list. That's enough, I think.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

I'm all for it even if a Land manager thinks the cache should be erased from the planet.

For one thing it's hard enough to trace why something happned or a decision was made when you are looking backwards in time.

For a cache to be archived it's as simple as saying "This cache archived at the request of John Q. Landmanager of the Wildlife Preserve in Anytown USA. Per John geocaching is against the policy of the Preserve".

Now you know why it was archived, who requested it and can research it to confirm that no new caches should be placed there.

I'd also like to be notified when a cache in my home radius is archived so I can see why and take it out of my GPS so I don't go there and find what's not there.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Renegade Knight, you bring up very valid points - it would be helpful to know about land manager policies and why caches are archived. And I also agree that it would be nice to learn about caches getting archived, without having to put them all on my watchlist. But as it stands, Pennsylvania's geocaching policy places a three-year time limit on caches, after which the listing must be "removed from the website." If the website design is changed so that I'm in breach of the agreement I signed with the park superintendent, I'd be an unhappy camper.

Perhaps the notification feature could be implemented independently.

Perhaps the new version of gc.com will include the long-promised section of the site where land manager policies will be collected, so that people will KNOW the rules that apply in a particular area.

Fuzzy, I like your caveat. It would be great to get a PQ that showed ALL my finds, not just my finds on active caches, so that I can construct maps, databases, etc. (assuming that I was capable of doing that).

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I'd also like to be notified when a cache in my home radius is archived so I can see why and take it out of my GPS so I don't go there and find what's not there.

I'd like a feature that shreds the printout that I made the day before the cache was archived! icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Turtletrax:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Hey Turtletrax, I've had the opposite problem. Since I update the GPS with the new waypoints but don't get rid of the old very often I've found that my current GPX file doesn't have the 'print out' but my GPS insists the cache is there. Eventually I figured out this meant someone archived the cache.

I'd like a feature that shreds the printout that I made the day before the cache was archived! icon_rolleyes.gif

=====================

The Leprechauns

A land manager policy can request that a cache be removed after three years, and I pretty much agree that caches should only be semi permanent. If for no other reason so new caches spring up in our home areas every now and then.

Still to have a policy that reaches beyond what they control is a bit much. Requiring gc.com entirely delete the existince of a cache even as an archive is too much. This is the same thing as having all geocaches remove that page from their found caches binders and burn it.

Their intent is valid though. Archivng the cache takes it off the "Come and get it listing".

=====================

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Perhaps the new version of gc.com will include the long-promised section of the site where land manager policies will be collected, so that people will KNOW the rules that apply in a particular area.

The admins have been pulling this information together in the last couple of months and we are building a database for us to refer to. Honestly, we are putting this on a different server and it is not on GC.com. It would have to be discussed, but maybe it makes some sense to make that information available. Server load and bandwidth is an issue since it is on a private server at this time.

If it makes you feel any better, even admins cannot search archived caches.

R.K. - Obviously, the PA policy isn't asking the hider to do anything more than archive the cache. They just don't want it to pop up on search results. Letting an archived cache show up in search results is what concerned me.

Mtn-Man: Sure, having a website where land manager policies are collected is a good idea for reference by cache approvers. But what good is that for hiders? If the policies are not easily findable by a newbie who is eager to hide a geocache in a state park, this increases the risk that an unauthorized hide will occur, and that the land manager will (a) yank the cache, and (:smile: be upset with the geocachers who are trying to work with the land managers to implement the policy. Why, even someone as prestigous as the President of the New Jersey Geocaching Association recently ran afoul of the Pennsylvania rules by placing a cache without going through the permit process.

My idea (and it's not original) was to have a section on the website where geocaching policies could be collected and publicized. Something better than random forum threads, which tend to slip off the front page, and not enough people search for them. When I raised the idea of a forum for park caching policies in a thread last summer, there was little or no disagreement that it would be useful. Jeremy even posted with some specific ideas he had about how maps would be used in this part of the website. I had truly hoped, based on this, that the new version of gc.com would collect the policies in a convenient manner.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Mtn-Man: Sure, having a website where land manager policies are collected is a good idea for reference by cache approvers. But what good is that for hiders?

I understand and totally agree. I hope it can be included in the re-write of the site. Of course, you have to get people to read it. (Tounge planted firmly in my cheek) I wouldn't put it on the guidelines and requirements page! icon_eek.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

The big question is where to you put this additional information. Not enough cachers read these Groundspeak forums. Honestly, not enough read the guidelines page either. Maybe a new page or new section or something with a link from the main page and/or the "Hide a Cache" page.

Title the link on the main page "This month's babes and hunks of geocaching" and that should increase the click-through rate to the permission policy section.

If it makes you feel any better, even admins cannot search archived caches.

Can they now?

I'd like to be able to see all the archived caches in my area to find out *why* they were archived. If they were archived because of personal reasons with the hider, I might be able to get the cache up and running again. It's getting so hard to find a good spot to hide caches around here anymore.

No, site volunteers cannot receive archived caches in PQ results, nor can we query the website for *only* archived caches in a "nearest caches" search. We do see them mixed in with all the other search results, or when using the GC.com maps.

Those who aren't site volunteers can use the Geocaching.com maps to identify caches that have been archived. Center the map on the park you're thinking of hiding a cache in, and click on "identify" after checking the box to show archived and disabled caches in that area.

Those who aren't site volunteers can use the Geocaching.com maps to identify caches that have been archived. Center the map on the park you're thinking of hiding a cache in, and click on "identify" after checking the box to show archived and disabled caches in that area.

Is this feature still available, and if so, is it only for premium users? I can't seem to find it. The reason I ask is because the city I live in is "cache poor," at least compared to smaller towns 10 miles away. I went to do maintenance this morning on a couple of my caches and found they were muggled. I'm wondering if there aren't many caches in my town because they get muggled a lot. Being able to see archived caches would let me know if my suspicion is correct.

Those who aren't site volunteers can use the Geocaching.com maps to identify caches that have been archived.  Center the map on the park you're thinking of hiding a cache in, and click on "identify" after checking the box to show archived and disabled caches in that area.

Is this feature still available, and if so, is it only for premium users? .

Yes, it is for premium members only.

(Maybe the map page should be changed to say that so when premium members see the "display archived/disabled" option they know that not everyone can.)

The reason I ask is because the city I live in is "cache poor," at least compared to smaller towns 10 miles away. I went to do maintenance this morning on a couple of my caches and found they were muggled. I'm wondering if there aren't many caches in my town because they get muggled a lot. Being able to see archived caches would let me know if my suspicion is correct.

If that town in Elgin, IL, a "nearest 25" search shows 10 archived caches.

I don't know if that is abnormally high or not.

Thanks for the info beejay&esskay. I guess 10 archived in town isn't too high. I guess there just aren't many people interested in placing a cache here. But you have enlightened me to yet another feature available to premium users. I am thismuch closer to plunking down the $30.

Perhaps the local Geocaching groups could create methods of identifying these areas that caches are not permitted in for the local 'reviewers'

I know that there are the two check boxes at the bottom of every submitted cache that 'ensure' that permission to place the cache was obtained.

I also know, that doesn't help, it just allows GC.com to say "We asked them if they had permission", and there is nothing wrong with that.

What you can do, is create a POLY Filter for programs like GSAK. If you encircle an area that caches are not permitted then the 'reviewer' can apply the filter and see if the cache is inside the restricted area.

This option is a LOT of work, but many hands make light work. I've done one for my region, I expect I could do one for every park that is affected here too. Take a little while, but hey... that is why local groups form.... to prevent landowners from feeling that the Geocaching community is not able to supervise itself.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

I think it would be a good idea and it is something that I would like to see implemented. Just because a cache is archived doesn't mean that it was ever found, or more importantly, ever removed from the area.

A prime example is this local cache that was listed on August 22, 2003, archived without find on August 29, 2003 and the well-stocked cache container remained in the field until July 11, 2005 when a cacher that remembered the listing decided to go see if the container was ever removed.

For two years, the "litter" bearing the geocaching.com label has been lying forgotten in the woods because it was archived without retrieval.

The same cache owner also placed this cache on August 26, 2003 and the cache was archived without find on August 29, 2003.

This cache also appears to have been archived without retrieval, so anyone care to wager whether there's more "litter" bearing the geocaching.com label at the coordinates?