Travel Bug Mileage Etiquette

kipper01

Someone has one one my Travel Bugs but the person who took it wants to log it in every cache they visit. What is proper etiquette on logs for a travel bug? Someone picked up a travel bug and is taking it to every cache with them and mileage is adding up. I would really just like to see the pickup location and the drop-off location. Don't really care about what in the middle. B) Can I go and delete the logs in the middle once person drops it?

Edited by kipper01

You could indeed do that! But, you would probably be better off adding a note prominently on the TB page (and on the mission tag) that you would rather that people NOT waste your time or theirs doing 'visiting'. IF and WHEN someone finds out you are doing that, the word will get around and I bet that your Trackable will sit a lot or perhaps vanish completely. Some people just don't like being told they can't or shouldn't use the provided tools for what they are for. The site is for people to log their caching and trackable history as well as your small part of it. Many might not care but others will make up for that shortage eventually.

As noted, it would likely be a really bad idea to do that before the trackable has moved out of range of the cacher who is moving it.

I kept two for an extended journey with me, one with the approval of the TB owner and the other there has been absolutely no contact with since it was sent out that I can see, nor activity. That is the way it should be done I think... I guess it depends on how many caches they are visiting, and whether they are doing 'representative' logs for an area or a whole cluster of them (unneeded).

You could also explain your wants to them and let them decide which they might delete for you. I certainly intend to go back and thin out some of the lesser logs in the one I did for the owner, with his agreement that is, he might want to keep all of them. I'm easy on that and I suspect he is as well. Remember too that this was a much requested 'feature' so there isn't much chance of cancelling it, nor should they, it is sure faster than dipping (drop and retrieve logs) was.

Doug 7rxc

I wouldn't do anything..... The last thing you want, is to piss off the cacher who has your TB and it'll end up getting placed somewhere you don't necessarily want it to be. Let the people do what they want with it..... as long as they're having fun and your TB is still moving...

BE VERY GREATFUL!!

If you haven't already - you should change or EDIT the GOAL of the TB and specifically say that you don't want it visited to every single cache. If you have specific goal - then explain it.

That might help, it might not. Again - just be happy your TB hasn't gone missing.

Edited by Lieblweb

Lessee here...

You mean that for a "visit" log that does not generate an email to the TO, a deletion of that same log does generate an email to the person that carried the traveler?

What is wrong with this picture?

Are you picking on travel bugs? This is a coin feature set on the general traveler.

Lessee here...

You mean that for a "visit" log that does not generate an email to the TO, a deletion of that same log does generate an email to the person that carried the traveler?

I don't think there is anything wrong, except maybe perception.

Not owning any travelling TB/Gcoins I don't get any notifications by email at this time, but here is how I perceive it.

The TB owner is interested it where it is and how far it travels primarily, pictures and stories are nice additions.

So Retrieve and Drop logs are two sides of a coin and affect the TO. Discover and Visit logs are again two sides of a coin but differ slightly... A Discover is really just a note about someone seeing the TB and logging that, but it never leaves the cache. A Visit is just really a note that someone brought the TB to the site, but it remains in the possession of the mover. Now the Discover really does not affect the TB or the TO in any real manner other than interest. The Visit log is for the benefit of the Cacher and they should be notified if anyone messes with their caching history,even if it is a TB belonging to someone else.

I'm not sure, as I said about whether the owner gets notification of notes and Discovers any more than they get Visit logs.

Much of this and a few other threads recently talk of deleting Cacher TB logs/ visits with impunity, but I suspect that the backlash for being discovered doing so would not be worth the effort. It might result in loss of TB, 'blacklisting' of owners TBs by other cachers as not worth the effort (leaving them stuck in caches, or simply dumped in the first available black hole cache). I wouldn't have any doubt that more than a few 'numbers' types would be offended greatly with that and seek restoration of the logs.

Since 'deletion' generally means hiding not erasure, the ability to hide them for the TO (from the GC.com website discussions) might be better solution.

But NO I don't think there is a discrepancy that does not fit there... just apples and oranges situation.

Doug 7rxc

Lessee here...

Yeah, I agree with you on that...

There are no notifications for visits. In fact, I don't remember seeing notifications for my TB's being picked up or placed anywhere...... Does this exist and I just don't have it setup properly?

Currently - we'll put the cache in our watch list and when someone visits that cache, we'll go back and look to see if the TB was taken (or not).

I wish there were notifications....

There are no notifications for visits. In fact, I don't remember seeing notifications for my TB's being picked up or placed anywhere...... Does this exist and I just don't have it setup properly?

You should be receiving a notification email when your trackable is first retrieved from a cache, or finally dropped off in a cache. If you're not then something's wrong.

As mentioned above, there are no notification for Visits (i.e. CacherX took it to Wherever cache)

MrsB :)