Geocaching goals of 2012- What are yours?

FMT15

Goal: To die with my face up (instead of in the mud) and coming OUT from finding the cache instead of on my way TO it. To get a T-shirt for Christmas that says "If you can read this, drag my body to Ground Zero and sign the log for me." SO many times I thought I was going to die on the hunt, that these modest goals would be a real accomplishment. If they DO find my body short of the target, I hope the GC community will festoon the burial site with trinkets and swag from the dollar store and turn my backpack into a geocache.

<_<

LOL :laughing:

Hide some more caches

Get better at puzzles

Find Albertas oldest cache a 2000 one

just don't go in the summer, the mozzies will lift you off and the vegetation makes it a D4 :lol:

GCA6

It's that bad eh? Mozzies come from miles around for me as it is. Is spring a good time?

i don't know if that's how it normally is out there, but we could not even escape the mozzies in the city, they seemed to come out of the pavement, and at dusk as soon as you stopped the car a black cloud was around it lmao, impossible to get in/out of the car without letting some in

that should be a good time to go :D

My goal for 2012 has already been fulfilled! I started geocaching a month ago and have been going full steam ahead ever since. I wanted to introduce my kids to geocaching so for Christmas I stopped off at REI and picked up a bunch of official geocache material - nano-caches, micro caches, hidden rocks, etc. and gave it to them as a group gift.

As of yesterday, every single one of my kids has gone on a geocache hunt and found at least one cache. Some of them have found 4 or 5 now! They have introduced at least one friend and one boyfriend as well. In fact, yesterday, while I ran out to do some errands, a group of my kids went off hiking in the State Forest across the street from our house for FOUR HOURS. They ended up finding three caches - two of which were 2/3.5's with some pretty difficult terrain. I texted them a couple of hours in and asked how they were doing and got a nice pic of an ammo can back!

B) Proud Father! B)

Work on the Iowa Counties Challenge

Work on the Iowa Delorme Challenge

Attend MOGA 2012

Attend Geowoodstock 10

Solve as many puzzle caches as I can solve

Actually find the puzzle caches I solve (moved away from Portland with something like 40 or 50 solved puzzles that I hadn't found)

Add 9 more states to the finds category: SD, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, KY, MO, KS

Find more caches than last year, with a goal of 750.

Personal goal: ride RAGBRAI, decrease debt, finalize my divorce.

I'd like to score 2000 finds this year. That's just 20 per week. So far so good as I'm at 25 right now and it's only January 3rd.

Finding a cache on 2/29/12 is a MUST.

I'd like to get into the top 75 finders for my home state of Minnesota. I'm really close at 119 right now.

I also want to take at least 2 weeks off of work (one in spring and one in fall) dedicated totally to caching.

I also want to place a 5/5 cache in or near my home town.

I'd like to make more progress on my MN and WI DeLorme and County Challenges.

Oh, and giving Knowschad a rough time should never be forgotten.

1. Fill in the calendar, finishing on Feb. 29 (only 10 days left!)
  2. Find my 2000th cache. I'm hoping to also do that on Feb. 29th, and I'm just over 50 caches away.
  3. Get my husband out caching with me more - canoeing, 4x4ing, camping!!!!
  4. Work towards filling my grid a second time!
  5. Attend BC's first mega event, a couple of provinces over. It will also be my 3rd mega.
  6. Do a better job of maintaining my geocaches now that my life has gotten less crazy

Time for an update! The first two goals on the list have been completed! I couldn't wait until the 29th for my 2000th cache, though, so I got it 4 days earlier on my birthday! Woohoo! However, I don't think I'll be attending the mega. A couple weeks later is something in South Dakota that my husband wants to go to, and I'd like to draw it out to do a bunch of caching in and around the Black Hills... which would help me accomplish the third goal!

finish a Thomas Guide challenge on 2/29 with a group of friends....check

host an event....check

work on getting 100 events and 100 counties....2012 goal, though no guarantees

attend both megas in my area somehow....2012 goal

cache in all caches in my park challenge....one to go

nothing really crazy as a goal it would seem.

1) Find a cache on Feb 29th - done

2) Organize an event - done

3) Find a cache above 3000 m altitude; if possible above 3300 m

4) Add two more countries to our list of currently 11

5) Increase the sum of average Diff and Terrain up to 4.00 - currently at 3.97

6) Keep the number of Traditionals at less than 50 % of our finds - currently 48 %

7) More than 25 % of our finds should be Diff or Terrain 3 or higher - currently 28 %

8) Have 65 out of 81 combinations of the matrix - currently 61

9) Have fun

Finding the people, one by one, who parrot this 2012 Mayan End of the World rubbish and Nelsoning them as it passes, as it shall.

A solid Nelsoning:

Oh.. Geocaching

To find more caches. To place more caches. To have fun. Maybe hit the block Party again, if gas isn't up to $10/gallon.

Edited by DragonsWest

Same as it is every year...

To have fun

To be more specific, my only goals are to add a few more States and possibly a couple of new countries to my States/Countries in which I've found a cache. I'll almost certainly add Georgia and South Carolina next month and I'm hoping to get funding to travel for a conference in September in Malaysia (which would likely require a short layover in Singapore). Maybe I'll even get to 1100 finds this year (I found my 1000th in 2010) I don't really care how may finds I'll have by the end of the year.

1. Have fun

2. Celebrate my 10th year Caching on 4/20 by:

a. Finding a cache.

b. Hiding a cache.

c. Visiting the first cache I found.

3. Find one more cache this year then last without a power trail.

4. Find a cache in every new State I visit this year.

5. Remember to have fun.

Add some more states, complete the Alabama Delorme, county, and upcoming state park challenges, and set ourselves up for finding our 5000th cache before we move in 2013. It'd be nice to add another country as well, but I don't see that happening; the only international trip we've planned will be a week in southern Bavaria to visit friends, and we've already cached in all the countries within a day's drive.

For 2013, my goal is to get assigned to a state or country we haven't cached in yet. But we'll see what the job list shows.

Reach 20K

do the Shelrik's Center Of The Triad Challenge

Finish the NorCal Challenge

California Counties Challenge

Maybe the Original Fizzy Challenge

and finish all the oldest 2001 Cali caches.

I got that final done. In the middle of the night. Finally got out of the mt around 1 am. I dont know if that was very smart of me. :ph34r:

Edited by SwineFlew

I'm working on my "Finds for Each Day of the Year" grid. Other than completing that grid, my only goal is to keep having fun.

Finally managed to get that nagging 29th of February. All days filled and picked up that nice little Oogie Boogie challenge.

Now working on the D/T grid, but not very determinedly. Also, hoping to pick up August, 2000, for the hides grid.

hmmm - not too bad.

• yup - did this in September....900 miles in two days
  • partial - got ID but not MT, but later added WV and VA on another trip
  • nope - nothing special, just another one while out and about
  • nope - never got over there this year
  • got two of them, Jan01 and Dec00
  • finished it late last year

• take a weekend or two and finish the Washington County Challenge - have the 8 counties in eastern WA to go
  • in the process, add Idaho and Montana to my list of states cached in
  • pick out a truly 'quality' cache for my 2k find (125 to go) hopefully before my 10-year caching anniversary on 3/29
  • do the virtual on Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National park (http://coord.info/GC9C5F) as an excuse to go hiking up there again

• stretch goal is to get to some of the old caches toward filling in my 2001 (need Jan) and 2000 months placed (need May-Dec except Sept)

and if I don't get it done between Christmas and New Years' Day....

I'd like to score 2000 finds this year. That's just 20 40 per week. So far so good as I'm at 25 right now and it's only January 3rd. DONE! I ended up well over 2000 finds.

Finding a cache on 2/29/12 is a MUST. DONE!

I'd like to get into the top 75 finders for my home state of Minnesota. I'm really close at 119 right now. DONE! Currently sitting right there!

I also want to take at least 2 weeks off of work (one in spring and one in fall) dedicated totally to caching. DONE! Well kind of. I spent 2 weeks mostly in Colorado camping and caching. Best two weeks of my life!

I also want to place a 5/5 cache in or near my home town. NOT DONE! But working on it...

I'd like to make more progress on my MN and WI DeLorme and County Challenges. Knocked a few pages out but not anywhere close to being done.

Oh, and giving Knowschad a rough time should never be forgotten. DONE! A LOT!!!

I'm new here, and I've only found 4 caches but I'm really enjoying it so far. Jeez, it was pretty easy to figure out that there are dozens of caches near where I live and hundreds if not thousands in my metro area. A little bit of OCD in my head tells me that the sooner I start, the sooner I find all of them, but I'm resisting that impulse.

Instead my goal is to find caches that I think are 'cool' for one reason or another. Tomorrow I'm going after a multicache and there's another multi in the place I'm visiting next week. Puzzles intrigue me, too, as well as caches that I can find in combination with a medium-distance hike to someplace interesting. The idea of helping people move travel bugs sounds neat to me. I'm sure there are other aspects of caching that are cool like these and those are the things I'm interested in doing. I also hope to involve my kids as much as I can.

That wasn't too specific a yardstick but I've pursued the hobby in the way I thought I would after 4 finds. I like "medium-length" hikes for caches as I said then. I like puzzles and multis but I haven't always gone after just them and it didn't take long for my kids to lost interest. Maybe I could have and should have found more by now but I've enjoyed the hobby.

Finding someone to go geocaching with!

This is also a goal of mine. My daughter is always resistant - although she admits we have fun every time we go.

In addition, I'd like to make progress on GC11PZW

Completing the requirements for GC280PA (or its replacement).

No luck on the first one.

Found 20 more for the second one, only 21 to go.

Finished the third one.

Fun!

Well, let's see how we did.

Add some more states

Hawai'i, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, and Idaho -- not bad.

complete the Alabama Delorme, county, and upcoming state park challenges

DeLorme done and logged, county done and logged. Alabama State Park challenge almost done, we have 20 of 22 and will be finishing up by February.

set ourselves up for finding our 5000th cache before we move in 2013

4847, should hit 5000 caches by March and get the commemorative pack of Depends! (Woohoo, adult diapers!)

add another country

Nope.

For 2013, my goal is to get assigned to a state or country we haven't cached in yet.

Heading to Oklahoma -- done.

Overall, not too shabby.

I had a pretty fun year. The only real downside was when my car suffered an $800 failure on the way home from GC9C - Rabbit Eye View (hellish experience to say the least.)

High points included an overnight camp at Laguna Mountain in Cleveland National Forest, with short hike the next day to GC5B - Phil's Memorial Cache and around the stunning meadows. Also, camping a solid week in Death Valley and running amok in the desert the whole time. What a blast that was.

Definite "Umm..." moment was doing GCRNVJ - The Womb, the same day I had hiked out to Phil's Memorial. Though I arrived rather prepared, it was one of those times I thought to myself "What the **** am I doing here" and genuinely thinking I may be in over my head. Nah, I made it, but more Potassium would have been a good thing to fight the cramping from all the sweating in that tunnel. The dead rat was also a bonus. :unsure:

All in all, more fun, more adventure. Hope to keep the trend alive in 2013!

Work on the Iowa Counties Challenge

Work on the Iowa Delorme Challenge

Attend MOGA 2012

Attend Geowoodstock 10

Solve as many puzzle caches as I can solve

Actually find the puzzle caches I solve (moved away from Portland with something like 40 or 50 solved puzzles that I hadn't found)

Add 9 more states to the finds category: SD, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, KY, MO, KS

Find more caches than last year, with a goal of 750.

Personal goal: ride RAGBRAI, decrease debt, finalize my divorce.

Found caches in 62 of Iowa's 99 counties.

Found caches in 32 of Iowa's 52 DeLorme pages.

Attended MOGA 2012 and Geowoodstock 10.

Found caches in 7 of the states listed (KS and WI are on this year's list)

Found 570 caches.

Solved a bunch of puzzles and solving more this winter to find in the spring.

Personal goal: road RAGBRAI, increased debt, finalized divorce.

Finding someone to go geocaching with!

me too! at least get back out there after not having cached awhile. having a reliable vehicle would help that goal. right now i don't trust my car not to dump me in the desert somewhere and the caches i want to find are out a bit.

lara

I'm not exactly sure where you are Lara because the Mojave Desert is so big but I go to visit my dad in Bullhead City every so often so if you are anywhere near there I can look you up when I go! :) I have no one to cache with out there!

Roxane