Geocaching goals of 2012- What are yours?

FMT15

Was thinking about my goals for 2012 as a geocacher... 2011 was my first year caching and I had a blast! Being a college baseball player there may not be much time for me to get out there until summer so my goals may seem small! Merry Christmas everyone!!

500 in 2012 (Basically just a three month summer period for me)

1- 5x5

5- 5 difficulty caches

25 Puzzles caches

Find a cache with over 100 favorites

:D

Was thinking about my goals for 2012 as a geocacher... 2011 was my first year caching and I had a blast! Being a college baseball player there may not be much time for me to get out there until summer so my goals may seem small! Merry Christmas everyone!!

500 in 2012 (Basically just a three month summer period for me)

1- 5x5

5- 5 difficulty caches

25 Puzzles caches

Find a cache with over 100 favorites

:D

Come to Seattle. Lots of those here :)

I'd like to improve my terrain average -*safely*. Not by doing crazy caches, but by doing ones with longer hikes involved. I think I'm ready to hide another cache so I'd like to do that this next year. Just waiting for the perfect location. But for that, I need to do more hiking!

2011 goals were:

1) fill calendar - check minus the 5 days I spent in the hospital!

2) century of hides and puzzles - check!

3) complete d/t grid - check!

4) 1000 caches for the year - I hit 999 today, going tomorrow for number 1000 with my son!

5) break 1000 finds - check!

2012 goals:

1) finish calendar

2) hit a century of multis, FTFs, earthcaches, and attend as many events as possible

3) place at least 1 multicache per month

1) Continue having fun while geocaching.

2) Continue to place only the kinds of geocaches I would enjoy finding.

3) Continue to skip the vast majority of GRIMs, LPCs, and other simple urban hides that don't take me anywhere interesting.

4) Visit more State Parks, including all the remaining CCC/WPA-built state parks in FL (I've been to 2 of 9 this year).

5) Find a cache on Feb 29th.

6) Don't let geocaching interfere with my college grades.

I'm at 766 so far this year and expect to be close to 900 by the end of Dec 31st. Back in January, I thought it would be good to get 500 this year... :laughing:

Edited by Joshism

Goals:

-Fill in the calendar, or failing that, at least make a find on Feb 29.

-Find at least some of the many boat-required caches in my area.

-Reach 50 FTFs (unless I manage to get one in the next 10 days; I'm at 49 now)

-Find the only benchmark in the region that's actually in Canada

I'm also looking forward to participating in the organization of and attending BC's first Mega (GC349MK), only 45.9 km from home. It will be my 3rd Mega.

I am within reach of having 1100 finds by 12/31/11 (1094 as of today). My goal is to do 912 caches in 2012 to end up the year with 2012.

I'm thinking I'll have to do at least 600 on a power trail on one day. I do have some friends that have over 10000 finds so I know it can be done. I doubt that I will be able to finish filling in the calendar in 2012. Believe it or not, I did make a cache find on February 29, 2008.

Unfortunately our daughter is getting married in Maryland on May 26 so we will not be at GWX. I may sneak over to Delaware for a cache or two after the wedding.

My goal is to not have any goals related to "numbers".

I would like to do more caching than I've done this past year, which ought to be pretty easy since I've only found 36 caches this year.

I'm planning a vacation in April and will hopefully add at least one more U.S. State and although I don't have any specific business trips planned there is a slim possibility of adding a couple of new countries next year as well.

I'd also like to archive a few of my hides and have a couple of spots picked out for some new ones.

Goals:

-Fill in the calendar, or failing that, at least make a find on Feb 29.

-Find at least some of the many boat-required caches in my area.

-Reach 50 FTFs (unless I manage to get one in the next 10 days; I'm at 49 now)

-Find the only benchmark in the region that's actually in Canada

I'm also looking forward to participating in the organization of and attending BC's first Mega (GC349MK), only 45.9 km from home. It will be my 3rd Mega.

Interesting! Some of these are the same as mine:

1. Fill in the calendar, finishing on Feb. 29 (only 10 days left!)
  2. Find my 2000th cache. I'm hoping to also do that on Feb. 29th, and I'm just over 50 caches away.
  3. Get my husband out caching with me more - canoeing, 4x4ing, camping!!!!
  4. Work towards filling my grid a second time!
  5. Attend BC's first mega event, a couple of provinces over. It will also be my 3rd mega.
  6. Do a better job of maintaining my geocaches now that my life has gotten less crazy

Edited by hurleyanne

I have a few goals..

- Finish Wisconsin counties. I am about 65% complete (I am from MN)

- Add at least 6 more states to my list.

- Find the OLDEST caches in 8 more states.

- Hold my 5th annual canoe-in geocaching event.

- Try to make sure all of the high star caches I find don't have disclaimers so that I can sue when I get hurt.

Goal: To die with my face up (instead of in the mud) and coming OUT from finding the cache instead of on my way TO it. To get a T-shirt for Christmas that says "If you can read this, drag my body to Ground Zero and sign the log for me." SO many times I thought I was going to die on the hunt, that these modest goals would be a real accomplishment. If they DO find my body short of the target, I hope the GC community will festoon the burial site with trinkets and swag from the dollar store and turn my backpack into a geocache.

<_<

1. Place another letterbox hybrid with an attached letterbox series.

2. Find higher difficulty and terrain caches, including a paddle cache.

3. Find any "must see" caches on my list.

4. Update and maintain my caches and letterboxes.

5. Do a few more puzzles.

6. Find at least 150 caches...but good quality ones...

7. Possibly place a cache in the Phillipines and definitely find one there.

Edited by FloridaFour

• take a weekend or two and finish the Washington County Challenge - have the 8 counties in eastern WA to go
  • in the process, add Idaho and Montana to my list of states cached in
  • pick out a truly 'quality' cache for my 2k find (125 to go) hopefully before my 10-year caching anniversary on 3/29
  • do the virtual on Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National park (http://coord.info/GC9C5F) as an excuse to go hiking up there again

• stretch goal is to get to some of the old caches toward filling in my 2001 (need Jan) and 2000 months placed (need May-Dec except Sept)

and if I don't get it done between Christmas and New Years' Day....

Edited by vds

I'm new here, and I've only found 4 caches but I'm really enjoying it so far. Jeez, it was pretty easy to figure out that there are dozens of caches near where I live and hundreds if not thousands in my metro area. A little bit of OCD in my head tells me that the sooner I start, the sooner I find all of them, but I'm resisting that impulse.

Instead my goal is to find caches that I think are 'cool' for one reason or another. Tomorrow I'm going after a multicache and there's another multi in the place I'm visiting next week. Puzzles intrigue me, too, as well as caches that I can find in combination with a medium-distance hike to someplace interesting. The idea of helping people move travel bugs sounds neat to me. I'm sure there are other aspects of caching that are cool like these and those are the things I'm interested in doing. I also hope to involve my kids as much as I can.

Edited by unabowler

I'm new here, and I've only found 4 caches but I'm really enjoying it so far. Jeez, it was pretty easy to figure out that there are dozens of caches near where I live and hundreds if not thousands in my metro area. A little bit of OCD in my head tells me that the sooner I start, the sooner I find all of them, but I'm resisting that impulse.

Instead my goal is to find caches that I think are 'cool' for one reason or another. Tomorrow I'm going after a multicache and there's another multi in the place I'm visiting next week. Puzzles intrigue me, too, as well as caches that I can find in combination with a medium-distance hike to someplace interesting. The idea of helping people move travel bugs sounds neat to me. I'm sure there are other aspects of caching that are cool like these and those are the things I'm interested in doing. I also hope to involve my kids as much as I can.

This is a great goal! After a year of geocaching.. I have definitely been to caches that I could have lived without.. I love those caches that are so thought out or in such a good area that you leave with an adrenaline rush. I am also going to focus more on those caches this year, rather than chase down every Lamp post cache published. Merry christmas and happy new year everyone!

Well, the first and foremost, actually attending an event. That is very high priority on my list.

Beyond that, there's no real goals. You can look at my join date, and find count. 138 finds in about 7 years. Part of that was me taking a 3 year hiatus. But yeah, to beat my max yearly find count of 29 or so. I think it was anyway. I do most of my caching in the fall and winter months when it is nice outside.

Other goals

- Do a 5/5 cache. There's one in particular around here I want to do. But I will only do it with others because it is just way too dangerous to do alone.

- Do more multi's and puzzle caches.

- Try to get to 200 finds before year end.

Other than that, it's all in the air.

We'd like to get back into caching again, schedules have gotten too busy. Many years of GC and not even 100 finds to show for it (hanging heads in shame).

We think it's time to step back, find the fun things in life and get out seeking again. We also have a whole bunch of very unusual caches we devised that we'd like to put out, intending to do that in 2012. Hope to add a head-scratching, fun twist to the hunt.

Interesting as I haven't put much thought into 2012. My stats got my motivated during 2011 to 1)find more caches than any year before, 2)add another state (didn't make this one), 3) and reach the goal of 1000 caches. Almost there and only 4 days to go!

Goals for 2012....Hmmm.

1)Keep geocaching fun, afterall isn't that why we do this crazy obsession?

2)Attend at least one meeting of the local group TAG...Been caching for 9 years and haven't been to one yet!

3)Find more than any year before (167 in 2010 and 212 in 2011 if I can reach my 1000 goal)

4)Still want to add at least one more state to the list.

5)I would like to place at least 5 new caches this coming year.

Not a bad goal list if I say so myself...:)

Edited by Agent Okie

My sister-in-law gave me a "4000 finds achievment" geocoin for Christmas (I am not sure why she chose this coin). I currently have 425 finds. My goal is to one day reach this # of finds but something tells me that, at the rate I am going, I will not be able to earn this coin for many years to come. Maybe it will be my goal for 2020? :laughing:

4000-finds-500-250x250.jpg