Ordered a Garmin Nuvi 295w

cnotebill

I assume you already have a hand held unit and will be using this to drive to the location. As far as using it to cache its not going to be easy to do since there is no compass screen on that Nuvi to point you in the right direction and give you distance to the cache. Caching with a Nuvi is possible its just a PITA. I used a Nuvi 1300 as my primary unit for a few months but quickly realized a good hand held would be much better for caching. I big problem with most Nuvi's is there short battery life and lack of durability.

I like my 295W, but it has many flaws too. I took this photo with the 295 yesterday on a short hike:

Heffers_11-12-19.jpg

Like all Nuvi's the 295 has a dark touchscreen layer, no problem with full backlight in a car, but outdoors almost unreadable. Had that heifer not had a white face, I'd been clueless composing that photo.

The back story on the heifers is of interest. This is BLM and forest lands and the cows owner had to string miles of electric fence to keep them out of a large meadow a mile upstream. While they can't follow the stream bed, there are numerous alternative ways to the meadow. So by Christmas the heifers will be in the meadow just like last year. These may not be fast critters, but they are persistent.

Old 295W thread