[FEATURE] Geocaching Safety Forum

Snoogans

It may be blue car syndrome for me, (in the past year I have achieved 4 advanced Occupational Safety Certifications and started a degree program in Occupational Safety) but the topic of geocaching safety seems to be coming up more and more. Is it just me? :unsure:

The number of listed caches has leaped from 1 MILLION to 1.6 MILLION in a very short period relative to previous growth.

I think a Safety Forum would be in order to address emerging issues that have and will arise as Geocaching.com marches toward the mainstream event horizon. It would also be another proactive measure on Groundspeak's part to openly address the safety of its customers/users.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and offer to mod it if the powers that be wish me to do so. I started a Safety Professional thread in OT awhile back that might contain a better/more experienced candidate(s) to mod this new forum if it comes about.

Thoughts?

I think a Safety Forum would be in order to address emerging issues that have and will arise as Geocaching.com marches toward the mainstream event horizon. It would also be another proactive measure on Groundspeak's part to openly address the safety of its customers/users.

I fully support your idea.

Cezanne

It may be blue car syndrome for me, (in the past year I have achieved 4 advanced Occupational Safety Certifications and started a degree program in Occupational Safety) but the topic of geocaching safety seems to be coming up more and more. Is it just me? :unsure:

The number of listed caches has leaped from 1 MILLION to 1.6 MILLION in a very short period relative to previous growth.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and offer to mod it if the powers that be wish me to do so. I started a Safety Professional thread in OT awhile back that might contain a better/more experienced candidate(s) to mod this new forum if it comes about.

Thoughts?

I agree... I too used to be on several safety boards, back in the day when I was a paramedic & worked for Search & Rescue. That was in the days before Geocaching was even around. I wonder how busy I would be now because of geocaching! Especially where I used to work in Search & Rescue.

Having a Safety forum would be nice. What about it Groundspeak? It couldn't be that hard to add another "Forum" group called "Caching Safety".

I can't speak for the OP. But I would be glad to volunteer & serve as moderator for that forum.

TGC

I'm in favour of a Safety (and best/good practices) Forum.

I would suggest avoiding the specifics of one or more caches and stick to things that are good ideas in general for outdoor activities. There have been many good topics in various locations on the site in the few years I've been geocaching. Most are about important aspects of 'getting outdoors'. I'd like to see if some of those topics can be mined for the information and some sort of FAQ created from the best practices responses. There have been many on 'survival', 'getting lost', adequate equipment to take, how to use such equipment, and hydration practices. All of which have little to do with the cache, but do affect surviving the hunt.

Also lots on 'surviving' the urban facet as well, since not everyone heads out to the wilderness. But personal safety is about dealing with the local environment in many cases. Preparation is another overlooked topic, good research and planning can make the difference between easy success and a total disaster.

Doug 7rxc