[FEATURE] Visited cache Log type

The HERB5

1st scenario

Often a cache wont be searched for because it's not been found for a while and/or has a couple of DNF's on it.

2nd scenario

There are many Holiday caches that are worth a second, third, fourth visit.

3rd scenario

A cache with a missing CO is visited and/or maintained.

---

A Note posted on a cache doesn't have the same gravitas as a Find or a Maintenance Log.

The Last Found date would be updated and therefore appear in more PQ's

A Visit would indicate the cache IS available.

A Visit would commemorate that holiday visit.

A Found cache is still worth a visit for the good of the caching Community.

For the Numbers cachers you could get a Visit point, a bit like and Assist in American Football....

Edited by Nebias

I think this is a good idea. Being able to log a cache as Visited rather then posting a note would help to keep the cache looking relevant. There are many older caches out there that may only get 1 or 2 finds a year because all the locals have already found it. But it may get visited quite often to pick up or drop off trackables. Having a visit log that updates the last found date would help the cache look like its still active.

Weather or not a Visit log would count for any kind of numbers count could be debated. Sure it wouldn't add to y our finds but do we really want to keep track of the number of visits we've made in total or per cache? I don't think that would be needed.

Not so sure about this idea. If the CO is bothered by the low or no find rate they can do a maintenance run and post an OM to assure folks it's still there and in good shape.

Its not so much about the CO. Personally i would rather log a visited log then a note if i revisit a cache.

I'm not at all sure there's enough difference between the proposed "Visited" log and a good old-fashioned Note log to justify adding another type of log to the system. I'm for keeping things simple whenever possible, and another log type would simply complicate things unnecessarily. I would vote No.

--Larry

I'm not at all sure there's enough difference between the proposed "Visited" log and a good old-fashioned Note log

--Larry

A Note wouldn't update the last Found date.

The cache is therefore more likely to be searched for.

The cache will appear on more PQ's as many only request recently found caches.

Not all CO's are created equally. :unsure:

Caches aren't always maintained, if at all.

A Visit allows the Community to maintain worthy caches.

Caches that are found regularly are less of a problem, it's the difficult hides and Puzzle caches of absent CO's that without care may disappear...

If this was an important element of your feature request, it should have been mentioned in your opening post. I am singling it out in the hope that the Lackeys might read it. Otherwise, your request is indistinguishable from existing functionality, from a website perspective.

it should replace the Found It log option once a cache has been logged as found.

And this would stop multiple Find logs that are so hard to track down too, excellent.

The cache page already knows you've Found the cache so easy to implement. :rolleyes:

And in the process, you will have irrevocably altered the event attendance habits in large geocaching communities, and the cache finding habits for those who enjoy the remaining grandfathered moving caches, especially a large and active community in Canada. You would also have decided the "refind at owner's discretion after cache is moved" debate. I'm not saying these things are good or bad, just that there will be crowds with pitchforks and torches on Groundspeak's doorstep if the change is implemented. They could be redirected to your place, or to Ambient Skater. :laughing:

If this was an important element of your feature request, it should have been mentioned in your opening post.

It was. :unsure:

it should replace the Found It log option once a cache has been logged as found.

And this would stop multiple Find logs that are so hard to track down too, excellent.

The cache page already knows you've Found the cache so easy to implement. :rolleyes:

And in the process, you will have irrevocably altered the event attendance habits in large geocaching communities, and the cache finding habits for those who enjoy the remaining grandfathered moving caches, especially a large and active community in Canada. You would also have decided the "refind at owner's discretion after cache is moved" debate. I'm not saying these things are good or bad, just that there will be crowds with pitchforks and torches on Groundspeak's doorstep if the change is implemented. They could be redirected to your place, or to Ambient Skater. :laughing:

Hmmm, something for discussion there...

Oops, sorry, my bad. Now I see that point about updating the "last found" date, sandwiched in between "gravitas" and "holiday visits." Tip: when writing feature requests, I'd start with a summary and then go into some of the reasons why the summarized feature would be a good thing.

I withdraw my comment and instead note that "Assists" are more commonly associated with hockey than with American football. :laughing:

Edited by Keystone

An "Increase my find count with this log" checkbox could fix that.

I think your premise stems from a false notion.

I don't know of any cachers that will avoid a cache simply because it has been a long time since the last "find".

They will avoid it if there are a lot of DNF logs and no maintenance log indicating it is there.

I think the Owner Maintenance log should update the last found log though. Simply a more correct statement. Nothing to do with searching for it or not.

If it increased your find count And was logged on my caches I would delete it right away. One find per cache, thank you.

Some event owners still allow attendees to submit additional Attended logs for each temporary cache they found during the event. That's not how most of the geocaching community does it and it would be nice to just tell the few to get with the program, but a checkbox would keep these people happy without detracting from anyone else's experience.

has my vote ... past logs often indicate cache condition and are useful for someone doing a "cache a day" like i do. ... sometimes i only go after a cache if i am confident it's findable.

but ... i don't think a "refind" should add to your count.

sort of like a "owner maintenance" log but a "random cacher maintenance" or a "re-found it" or an "existence confirmation".

has my vote ... past logs often indicate cache condition and are useful for someone doing a "cache a day" like i do. ... sometimes i only go after a cache if i am confident it's findable.

but ... i don't think a "refind" should add to your count.

sort of like a "owner maintenance" log but a "random cacher maintenance" or a "re-found it" or an "existence confirmation".

I agree about not adding to the Find count. I think some might take advantage and visit a cache multiple times a day to up their numbers. As a cache owner I'd find it annoying to get a ping over and over again from the same person visiting my cache for the numbers.

I agree about not adding to the Find count. I think some might take advantage and visit a cache multiple times a day to up their numbers. As a cache owner I'd find it annoying to get a ping over and over again from the same person visiting my cache for the numbers.

Did you read the posts from Keystone, Nebia, and I further up in this topic? Some (a minority of) event cache owners hide temporary caches for their events which can't be listed on the site, so they allow attendees to log additional "Attended" logs on the event cache itself so their find count reflects the temporary caches they found. Keystone pointed out that if the "Visited" log type replaced the "Found it" type on caches already logged as found, it would remove event attendees' ability to do this. A checkbox would merely preserve that ability. It doesn't let cachers do anything they can't do with the log types they have already.

I don't think it's a problem though, because the "Visited" log type would only replace the "Found it" option on non-event caches since a Visited log on an event cache doesn't make much sense anyways.